Afshan Azad's Brother Put in Jail

Legal
Posted by: Mel
January 22, 2011, 12:36 AM

The brother of Afshan Azad (Padma Patil) has been put in jail for assaulting Ms. Azad June of last year:

The brother of Harry Potter actress Afshan Azad was jailed on Friday for six months for attacking his sister after discovering she was dating a non-Muslim.

...

The actress, who now lives in London, had asked the court not to jail her older brother.
But judge Roger Thomas sent him to prison for six months after he pleaded guilty to the assault.
"This persistent attack was accompanied by serious and very hurtful abuse and threats," the judge told the defendant.
"The background to this offence lies in the concern that you, and perhaps other family members, had about Afshan's relationship with a young man who was not of the Islamic faith."

You can read more here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Legal News

Severus_x_2_thumb

I don’t think it’s part of the Muslim faith, just a custom. But I’m sure there are plenty of Leaky members who could confirm this.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 24, 2011, 11:10 AM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

Serves him right, he needs to learn from his actions but i fear for her when he gets out.

Posted by sinwillys822 ROAR on January 24, 2011, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I hope Afshan is safe and out of the family house. It sounds like her wishes don’t matter much in that home. “Honour” killings have no place in a modern world, but sadly they still happen. Keep safe, Afshan!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on January 24, 2011, 01:05 PM report to moderator

very sad, its often said that Good people do good things, and bad people do bad things, but religion causes good people to do bad things

Posted by DavidTheUnready on January 24, 2011, 02:57 PM report to moderator
Spade_a_thumb

I’m a Muslim, and I can’t believe how wrong some Muslims act! It’s a shame. Our holy book teaches us to LOVE everyone, not hate.

Posted by Blutiful on January 24, 2011, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

We have had far too many ‘honor killings’ occur here in the US over the last few years. One chilling common thread runs through each and every one of them. The killings are always committed by the father or brother of the girl, and the murderer is always unrepentant, and is convinced he did the right and proper thing, and would do it again. One other thing has been shown to be true, the girl involved, if she survives a first attack, must never be permitted to have contact with any of her adult male family members, or she will surely die!

Posted by Won_Two on January 24, 2011, 03:11 PM report to moderator

I think with the stigma of their religion, Afshan’s brother thought that she was a disgrace for even dating a non-muslim. Don’t get me wrong though, Afshan is also a British citizen and has rights to her safety. I even think that Allah thought that a woman should marry for love. I wonder how hard the Azad family is taking this negative publicity. I am glad that even the celeberties are reconizing domestic violence as this incident was clearly was a clear case of it. It does not have to be with a boyfriend or spouse now a days it includes a sibling or a parent of the victim who is of age.

Posted by harrysgirl09 on January 24, 2011, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Chibi__draco_malfoy_by_savvysleeves_thumb

so sad…

Posted by Draco Malfoy Lover on January 24, 2011, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_by_leelakin_thumb

I hope she’ll be alright. I can’t believe her brother did that, it’s horrible!

Posted by Tunyevens on January 24, 2011, 11:14 PM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_by_leelakin_thumb

I hope she’ll be alright. I can’t believe her brother did that, it’s horrible!

Posted by Tunyevens on January 24, 2011, 11:15 PM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_by_leelakin_thumb

I hope she’ll be alright. I can’t believe her brother did that, it’s horrible!

Posted by Tunyevens on January 24, 2011, 11:15 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I pray for her safety as well!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on January 25, 2011, 09:43 PM report to moderator

wow..so many things to say about this, but i’m sure they’d get modded..oh well..that’s what happens when you try to be all politically correct about everything

Posted by noxiousCaitSith on January 25, 2011, 09:46 PM report to moderator

Posted by noxiousCaitSith on January 25, 2011, 09:46 PM report to moderator
Lala_thumb

How horrible for her, my heart goes out to her completely. I really hope her family will be able to heal, and that she is able to feel completely safe and loved in her home, even after this.
Can we please remember this was not the work of a certain religion or religion in general, but of one man. This crime was caused by intolerence. Let’s not follow this guy’s lead, people.

Posted by lunawannabe on January 27, 2011, 08:58 PM report to moderator

"You can open it if you like," said Harry, "but I'll hear what it says anyway. That's a Howler."[br]"Let go of it, Petunia!" roared Uncle Vernon. "Don't touch it, it could be dangerous!"[br]"It's addressed to me," said Aunt Petunia in a shaking voice.