Report: Alteration Made to Snape Death Scene in "Deathly Hallows," Says Art Director

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

An interview with the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow, has revealed a bit of curious information from the forthcoming conclusion to final part of the Harry Potter film series.  This information, which is being reported in Cine Premiere Mexico, is quite spoiler-rific and details the death sequence of Severus Snape (portrayed by actor Alan Rickman) in the final film.  If you wish to find out this J. K. Rowling approved change, read below.

Last spoiler warning!

Cine Premiere Mexico reports:
"We wanted to change a bit where Snape dies. In the book, he dies on the Shrieking Shack, and we wanted to get him out from, not a conventional interior, but from that kind of box, to do it in a more dramatic atmosphere. We asked J.K. if she agreed for that to happen in there, because we hadn't really seen it before. We made a crystal house, and you can see what happens in the boat house from there - Are you listening Harry? -, but also the school is in flames...and she loved it. Besides, it's a very romantic place to die. Snape dies in a extremely good way, I gotta say."
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" arrives in theaters this July.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hewlett_packard_thumb

Stupid Warner brothers.

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on January 20, 2011, 11:07 PM report to moderator
Magical_artifacts_ii_thumb

Crystal House? .. hmm.. Glass house.. wait.. a Green house?

He’ll die grasping a Lily flower…

O.O

Posted by Siriacus on January 21, 2011, 03:40 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

You are right, @spelljinxcursehexcharm and @Kaypain. I really don’t know where this idea comes from about whether people ‘deserve’ to die or not. Everybody dies! It’s only in cheap fiction that only those who ‘deserve’ it die. JKR is a bit more like real life in that respect. The manner of Snape’s death doesn’t degrade Snape, it degrades Voldemort.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 21, 2011, 04:00 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

BTW I was agreeing with spelljinxcursehexcharm about Snape (on previous page), rather than on the stupidity or otherwise of Warner Bros! I’d missed their second comment. I don’t think any crystal boats are involved. It sounds to me as though the director is trying to keep the feeling of the scene we all know and love/hate, while getting round all the practical problems involved in filming what’s in the book.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 21, 2011, 08:46 AM report to moderator

I would of preferred the “look at me line” better, I think Snape said this because Harrys eyes were like his mothers and Snape wanted “her” eyes to be the last thing he saw on this earth. But I could be wrong… any comments on this?

Posted by Sunshyne1313 on January 21, 2011, 10:33 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

There seems no reason to suppose that this line isn’t still in. We really don’t have much to go on!

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 21, 2011, 11:18 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff-hufflepuff-20864608-75-75_thumb

I am also so terribly confused…

Posted by Mir11Mir on January 21, 2011, 01:33 PM report to moderator

Am glad to know they’ve put that much thought and effort into Snape’s death. I was rather worried the scene would feel rushed or glossed over.

Posted by Jillxoxo on January 21, 2011, 09:20 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_capture_thumb

I just hope that they do it well. Besides that, no complaints!

Posted by sirius33 on January 21, 2011, 11:07 PM report to moderator

@dumbledoresman5769 I agree with your last line, i burst out laughing first time i read that, funniest one line comment in whole book
as to the alteration, oh well i dont like it but if its dramatic thats fine as long as its good fine cant wait til it comes out

Posted by Shannon on January 22, 2011, 12:36 AM report to moderator

““Look at me” to Harry is so vague, and I’m not sure what J.K. Rowling intended by it.”

I think its quite clear that he wanted to look into Harry’s eyes so that he could see the eye’s of the woman he loved one last time.

Posted by SOOPRcow on January 22, 2011, 10:11 AM report to moderator
Hermione_grange_thumb

Wow didn’t realize they will change it. RIP Snape.

Posted by HarryPotterGirl (Hermione) on January 22, 2011, 12:39 PM report to moderator

huh, that’s kind of a cool idea. i guess we’ll have to wait and see it :)

Posted by andarocketship on January 22, 2011, 02:45 PM report to moderator
For_the_greater_good_thumb

I’m fine with it as long as they don’t leave out any of Snape’s lines. Still, i dunno why they would have LV sitting in some Crystal house. I guess it works though

Posted by PeverellForever on January 23, 2011, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

This quote certainly does sound like a mistranslation. None of the earlier books or movies showed a boathouse; even the spot where the first years arrived at Hogwarts by boat was just a beach in a cave underneath the castle. It all sounds very screwy to me. The only way a ‘crystal house’ might make sense is if the filmmakers decided to change Nagini’s protection from a small spherical cage to an entire building and Voldemort somehow forced Snape to enter it, but it doesn’t sound like that’s what the images show.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on January 23, 2011, 01:23 PM report to moderator

"Possibly no one's warned you, Lupin, but this class contains Neville Longbottom. I would advise you not to entrust him with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Granger is hissing instructions in his ear."