Report: Alteration Made to Snape Death Scene in "Deathly Hallows," Says Art Director

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

An interview with the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow, has revealed a bit of curious information from the forthcoming conclusion to final part of the Harry Potter film series.  This information, which is being reported in Cine Premiere Mexico, is quite spoiler-rific and details the death sequence of Severus Snape (portrayed by actor Alan Rickman) in the final film.  If you wish to find out this J. K. Rowling approved change, read below.

Last spoiler warning!

Cine Premiere Mexico reports:
"We wanted to change a bit where Snape dies. In the book, he dies on the Shrieking Shack, and we wanted to get him out from, not a conventional interior, but from that kind of box, to do it in a more dramatic atmosphere. We asked J.K. if she agreed for that to happen in there, because we hadn't really seen it before. We made a crystal house, and you can see what happens in the boat house from there - Are you listening Harry? -, but also the school is in flames...and she loved it. Besides, it's a very romantic place to die. Snape dies in a extremely good way, I gotta say."
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" arrives in theaters this July.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hp021_thumb

Not really liking this change. I understand that they’re trying to go for dramatics, but I think they’re actually losing some of the impact of this scene by changing it. To me, the death was supposed to be dark, gritty, and almost unfair in a way. By completely changing the setting, you’re changing the tone. Snape dying on the dirty floor of the cramped Shrieking Shack sends a completely different message than Snape dying dramatically in an open crystal room. Movie!Snape was never Book!Snape though, so that’s how I’m going to try and look at it.

Posted by crisps on January 19, 2011, 01:46 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Is there a Spanish speaker in the house? I’m assuming that the word that was translated as ‘crystal’ must actually mean ‘glass’? The building shown at the link looks almost as dilapidated as the Shrieking Shack. (There was always going to be a problem filming Harry watching such a vital scene from a narrow passage, looking through a pile of old boxes.)

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 19, 2011, 02:27 AM report to moderator

People should just stop complaining and wait for the movie. They just wanted a cinematically more effective way to kill Snape off. I think you misinterpret the word ‘romantic’ here. They probably mean it will feel more poetic en emotionally resounding than in the shrieking shack. Wich is a good thing because there are more than enough gritty sudden deaths in this movies to around (Cedric, Hedwig, moody, Fred, Lupin, Tonks. And these are just examples). It’s good to have a more ‘romantic’ death one’s in a while. And it’s all Rowling aproved, so it seems a bit childish to say that ‘she didn’t mean it to happen like this’.

Posted by Redbeard on January 19, 2011, 02:57 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

It also occurs to me that the Shrieking Shack set used in the film of the Prisoner of Azkaban doesn’t look much like the scene described in Deathly Hallows anyway.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 19, 2011, 05:18 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

I must admit I am confused by this obscure piece of information too. I agree, eivega and really ocean – it is probably translated very badly. Anyway, Gloria, I am with you that Snape’s scenes deserve every respect and careful handling – I really hope Yates and Kloves are not destroying them. By the way, Gloria, at which formidable university do you study Snape?? I want to apply immediately !!

Posted by siena on January 19, 2011, 05:57 AM report to moderator

I guess I am a purist. I would have loved to have seen this played out as in the book. I am sure it will be well done, but I prefer the books’ versions every time.

Posted by Dawna on January 19, 2011, 08:17 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

A crystal boathouse. Uh huh. Whatever. Cuz the death scene clearly wasn’t dramatic enough as it was. After all, the motto for HP movies does seem to be “If it’s perfect as it is, why not change it completely.” It’s almost like these people of so jealous of what Jo created, they feel they must change it so as to make it unrecognizable to the books. I really think, if they think they can write a better book, that’s what they should do, and let the rest of us have Harry.

By the way, I guess they only just built this boathouse this year whilst the trio were gone – you know, since it was never there before. And because that’s just the kind of thing that the Deatheaters would make a priority in between torturing students and trying (and failing) to get the drop on Dumbledore’s Army. Yes, building pretty crystal boathouses is just something Voldie and the Deatheaters would scramble to do.

Oy gevalt.

Posted by DeliaDee on January 19, 2011, 09:42 AM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

Why’d Snape have to die!?!?! Anyways, I like how he dies. Make sure Nagini kills him like in the book;)

Posted by Tanderule on January 19, 2011, 10:26 AM report to moderator
Neville_god_pic_thumb

Actually, It might be better if he dies in the Shreeking Shack… Snape wasn’t really a romantic and he shouldn’t die in a romantic place. I mean, he almost dated Lily exept for that word… but I loved him, I mean, as a character. Please make things right with Lily in heaven, Sev!

Posted by Tanderule on January 19, 2011, 10:29 AM report to moderator

I don’t think J.K. Rowling likes killing off her major characters, which is part of the reason I think the death of Snape is so sudden and unexpected and abrupt. But, she kills so many beloved characters in such a way that we don’t see their deaths. I don’t object to making changes in a movie to make things more cinematic, as long as the changes actually help the story rather than hurting it. (For instance, I much prefer the tightened up movie version of “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” to the very long book.)

Posted by filmalicia on January 19, 2011, 10:34 AM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

Ok, I mean I liked Snape very much other than the way he sometimes treated Harry, but his Death was so useless!!!! I was not thrilled that Niginni on Voldemort orders caused it, but I like sticking to the book, the way JKR wrote it!!! I do suppose that this new place will shine more llight on the scene!!!! instead of inside of the Shrinking Shack!!! Well some people though that Voldemort was so smart and of course a dark wizard, how come he was not smart enough to figure out, that killing Snape would not cause the Elder wand to do his bidding any better??? He did not know until the end when dueling Harry that it was Draco’s wand that did exspelleomus that took Dumbledore’s wand out of his hand, making Draco the person who would have made the difference in the Elder wands bidding!!! anyway if JKR agreeds with the scene then so do I.

Posted by Mistic Willow on January 19, 2011, 10:36 AM report to moderator

I agree so much with Padfootpet (commentary p.1 and with DiamondWings (commentary p.2).
The books were perfect. They should not be changing things that don’t need too. I understand they must chage some things because the books are too long, but why change some scene that ALREADY ARE in the books and are great?

They’ve changed so much things since Prizoner of Azkaban I’m not liking very much those movies….toob ad its happening, cause the world is awesome and the books are awesome…!

Posted by argoras on January 19, 2011, 12:34 PM report to moderator

DeliaDee, just said what need to be said…We know they will change the final show down between Voldemort and Harry too…They will change the perfect way Harry walks to him, confident, knowing he will win now…

They can’t stop changing things taht are great…For me, Harry Potter story is in JK Rowling’s books, not in the Harry Potter movies…Only the first 2 were good, following the books…

Posted by argoras on January 19, 2011, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Green_sea_turtle_thumb

What is a crystal house, and from where has it suddenly appeared into the story?

Posted by Butterfly Boy on January 19, 2011, 12:49 PM report to moderator
Th_z32004989_thumb

What if he died like in AVPM?…

Posted by Angelica{ROAR!} on January 19, 2011, 01:27 PM report to moderator

"Harry Potter managed to escape Lord Voldemort," said Dumbledore. "He risked his own life to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. He showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I hono