Report: Alteration Made to Snape Death Scene in "Deathly Hallows," Says Art Director

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

An interview with the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow, has revealed a bit of curious information from the forthcoming conclusion to final part of the Harry Potter film series.  This information, which is being reported in Cine Premiere Mexico, is quite spoiler-rific and details the death sequence of Severus Snape (portrayed by actor Alan Rickman) in the final film.  If you wish to find out this J. K. Rowling approved change, read below.

Last spoiler warning!

Cine Premiere Mexico reports:
"We wanted to change a bit where Snape dies. In the book, he dies on the Shrieking Shack, and we wanted to get him out from, not a conventional interior, but from that kind of box, to do it in a more dramatic atmosphere. We asked J.K. if she agreed for that to happen in there, because we hadn't really seen it before. We made a crystal house, and you can see what happens in the boat house from there - Are you listening Harry? -, but also the school is in flames...and she loved it. Besides, it's a very romantic place to die. Snape dies in a extremely good way, I gotta say."
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" arrives in theaters this July.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Creeper_thumb

I am not sure what I think yet… I guess I will just have to see it first

Posted by 42fryguy on January 18, 2011, 07:12 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

You want to change where it takes place…ok, but couldn’t they at least have chosen a place we’ve seen before? Even DDs office, since Snape has taken it over…SOME place we’ve seen before would be so much better than inventing a new place that never existed!

Posted by Rin68nyr on January 18, 2011, 07:17 PM report to moderator
Rands_and_irene_s_birthday_me_thumb

Not sure how I feel about this. I mean I agree that Snape deserves a dramatic and romantic death, but this may end up being a bit over the top. I guess I’ll have to wait for the film to make my final judgement.

Posted by POazkaban3 on January 18, 2011, 07:20 PM report to moderator
Loth_cover_thumb

My thoughts about the symbolism of this scene are in my latest blog post, and I’d love to read your comments on it. http://phoenixweasley.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/severus-snape-deathly-hallows-part-two-movie-spoiler/

Posted by PhoenixWeasley on January 18, 2011, 07:21 PM report to moderator
Fwump_thumb

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! A crystal house?? Honestly? That sucks!! Make it in the shrieking shack! That’s where it rightfully should be! :(

Posted by Shackshrieker07 on January 18, 2011, 07:30 PM report to moderator
Kick_you_ass_thumb

It has to be good. Usually, they don’t change anything unless they are sure it will work well.

Posted by lttlmsravnclaw07 on January 18, 2011, 07:54 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

His death was not supposed to be pretty.

Posted by Girlraven1 on January 18, 2011, 08:01 PM report to moderator
Got-eight-houses_thumb

Snape deserves this, since hes such a good guy

Posted by JulietBlack on January 18, 2011, 08:03 PM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

I’ve read it three times, and I still can’t see why it is a spoiler… how can a boat house be transparent? Well… I guess if Mrs. Rowling approve it then I’m fine.

But I insist them to keep the “Not My Daughter, YOU BITCH!” part.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on January 18, 2011, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I agree with Gene Lin.

Posted by budgie on January 18, 2011, 08:45 PM report to moderator
111253053264374815_j3jgvm8y_c_thumb

Interesting sounding. I’m not exactly sure how this will turn out though. I hope snapes death is one to remember and will leave us crying. He is a vital part to the series.

Posted by ksddancer... ROAR!!!!!!! on January 18, 2011, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

When I first saw this headline I thought, “No they can’t change it!” but after reading what they plan on doing, I like it. Snape definitely deserves a dramatic (not that his original death wasn’t) death and the changes sound good to me. I’m still super excited about seeing the movie :D

Posted by da_member0808 on January 18, 2011, 09:47 PM report to moderator

It shouldn’t really matter if the scene changes because the content of what happened in the Shrieking Shack in the book can’t really happen. Movie Snape was never really bad. He has been protecting Harry since PoA. Lily’s eyes and the “Look at me” for Snape to see her are not important in the movie. Harry’s eyes haven’t been developed as a movie plot line. What does need to be there is Voldemort’s purely self-serving nature and utter disregard for even the lives of his most faithful servants.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on January 18, 2011, 10:20 PM report to moderator
1516_thumb

If JK agrees, then I’m fine with it. Snape does deserve a better death scene, since he has 2 die, tho I wish he didn’t. I agree that the "Not my daughter u bitch " is a must be in the film!!! The main part I am dreading is Fred’s death scene! That’s sooo unfair!! If 1 of the weasley children had 2 die, I think it should’ve been Percy! He may have come around in the end but he was a total pompus ass to his family for so long. I threw my book when Fred died!!!! It took me about an hour to calm down enough to finish it!!!

Posted by weasleytwins55 on January 18, 2011, 10:29 PM report to moderator

I’m not sure what the “Are you listening Harry?” really means, but maybe in the Boat House he might be able to hear everything going on.
After reading the description this is how I interpret things:
I think they constructed the Boat House out of Crystal. My thinking is it might be similar to the glass used to construct the Ministry of Magic for OOTP. The glass shatters and explodes into a million pieces after Voldemort turns to dust.
I’m wondering if something similar happens here.

Posted by Leslie33 on January 19, 2011, 12:40 AM report to moderator

"And do I look like the kind of man who can be intimidated?" barked Uncle Vernon.[br]"Well..." said Moody, pushing back his bowler hat to reveal his sinisterly revolving magical eye. Uncle Vernon leapt backward in horror and collided painfully with a lugg