Report: Alteration Made to Snape Death Scene in "Deathly Hallows," Says Art Director

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

An interview with the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow, has revealed a bit of curious information from the forthcoming conclusion to final part of the Harry Potter film series.  This information, which is being reported in Cine Premiere Mexico, is quite spoiler-rific and details the death sequence of Severus Snape (portrayed by actor Alan Rickman) in the final film.  If you wish to find out this J. K. Rowling approved change, read below.

Last spoiler warning!

Cine Premiere Mexico reports:
"We wanted to change a bit where Snape dies. In the book, he dies on the Shrieking Shack, and we wanted to get him out from, not a conventional interior, but from that kind of box, to do it in a more dramatic atmosphere. We asked J.K. if she agreed for that to happen in there, because we hadn't really seen it before. We made a crystal house, and you can see what happens in the boat house from there - Are you listening Harry? -, but also the school is in flames...and she loved it. Besides, it's a very romantic place to die. Snape dies in a extremely good way, I gotta say."
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" arrives in theaters this July.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Wand_thumb

Okay I don’t really understand how he’s going to die :S I think that he died amazingly in the book but if J.K.Rowling approves it then its good with me!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on January 18, 2011, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m0hexavzz21qb3do9o6_250_normal_thumb

Well if JK’s ok with it so am I.
Although, I kinda liked that Snape in the books didn’t have the perfect send-off. It was more realistic. In a war NO ONE gets an emotional and dramatic send off. That’s just how it is. One minute you’re alive, the next, your not. I think it was actually more painful for me in the book because Snape died for such a horrible reason and it was so quick and harsh.
But I guess I’ll let this slide for movie dramatics…

Posted by Owana Potter on January 18, 2011, 05:43 PM report to moderator
Johnnie_ret_thumb

I don’t know what the hell they’re talking about. Is the art director retarded or is the ‘translator’ utterly incompetent? In any case, the scene is PERFECT in the book, and I don’t see why they have to change a single thing. This is the moment I was most looking forward to and, if they’ve been messing with it, that is bad, very VERY BAD news…! If they give us something as ridiculous as the “I’m the half-blood prince” moment, I’ll die of embarrassment and disappointment. What I don’t understand is why Jo agrees to these things… Surely she must care about her work and be very proud of it; why should she let a bunch of idiots who do not have her talent (or any talent at all) spoil it? Snape is one of the most important romantic heroes in the history of literature, he is a character that we studied at university as such, and he deserves THE GREATEST RESPECT.

Posted by Gloria on January 18, 2011, 05:43 PM report to moderator

Considering the writer is Steve Kloves, nothing good will come from this change.

Posted by j@m on January 18, 2011, 05:43 PM report to moderator

Was kinda secretly hoping that they would do something to Snape’s death. It is a brilliant reveal and seeing Lily’s eyes in his dying moments would have made it all worthwhile to him. So many sad bits in the final book, can’t wait to see it, but will be sad that it’s all over too… well until the dvd come out, going to play that till it wears out :)

Posted by DavidTheUnready on January 18, 2011, 05:43 PM report to moderator

i can imagine it is a rather beautiful place to die in..but i don t reckon j. k. rowling meant snape to die in a beautiful setting..i think the inside of the shrieking shak had always given a more dark and gloomy feeling to everything. i don t know about you all but i ve always felt that the setting matched snape perfectly..remember when we first saw the interior, when ron was dragged in by sirius.. well in my mind the deterioration of the place gives a more dramatic feeling than a crystal room..yes the latter is beautiful and yes we must be reminded about hogwarts being in flames but the moment should belong to snape..it shouldn t be about anything else but him..so i m quite disappointed right now

Posted by ingridhufflepuff on January 18, 2011, 05:45 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I really dont understand this and after reading some of the comment, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one. I guess the translation isnt the best.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on January 18, 2011, 05:59 PM report to moderator

Hi, roninjoey. Good point, but I’ve been a Snape fan (and believed in his goodness) since the beginning of the series, and I think he’s had a lot of supporters. The vague “look at me” line does suggest to me that he wants to see Harry’s (Lily’s) eyes one last time, but I found it to be an anti-climactic line that didn’t convey the emotion of the moment. Of course, we will find out who Snape really was after a few pages more of the story. But, I would have liked better last words from my favorite character (or one of my favorite characters).

Posted by filmalicia on January 18, 2011, 06:10 PM report to moderator

Oooh! It will be so amazing!!! He deserves the best <3

Posted by ExpectoPatronum512 on January 18, 2011, 06:17 PM report to moderator
Julia2-1_thumb

I don’t get it at all, but it better be good!

Posted by HPFC101 *Hestia* on January 18, 2011, 06:25 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

after few days, I’m still a bit worried about this. I don’t quite understand the crystal and boat house? what,where and why?
and Snape isn’t supposed to die in a romantic way.LOL! I just hope they won’t screw it up. it must be decent!

Posted by Matea on January 18, 2011, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Dumbledore-harris-film_thumb

i can’t wait for it to come out!!! of course there will be differences that we will not like, but i feel as long as the story line is kept, like in dh1, it will be great!!! snape going out like a hero is a great thing!!

Posted by joyfulone on January 18, 2011, 06:38 PM report to moderator
Caffiene_thumb

Hmm. I hope they don’t alter it TOO much. And may I ask, what the heck is a ‘crystal boat house’?! Sounds very fishy to me…

Posted by Quidditchluver on January 18, 2011, 06:41 PM report to moderator

Mistypaws5 came very close to my sentiments.

Posted by trontech on January 18, 2011, 06:42 PM report to moderator

for everyone thats confused here’s a link to a picture of the “crystal house” http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/55235676.html

Posted by rbraun8 on January 18, 2011, 06:43 PM report to moderator

...something small hurtled toward him from the middle of the room, squealing, "Harry Potter, sir! [i]Harry Potter!"[/i][br]Next second all the wind had been knocked out of him as the squealing elf hit him hard in the midriff, hugging him so tightly he tho

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014