Report: Alteration Made to Snape Death Scene in "Deathly Hallows," Says Art Director

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
January 18, 2011, 12:44 PM

An interview with the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" art director, Andrew Ackland-Snow, has revealed a bit of curious information from the forthcoming conclusion to final part of the Harry Potter film series.  This information, which is being reported in Cine Premiere Mexico, is quite spoiler-rific and details the death sequence of Severus Snape (portrayed by actor Alan Rickman) in the final film.  If you wish to find out this J. K. Rowling approved change, read below.

Last spoiler warning!

Cine Premiere Mexico reports:
"We wanted to change a bit where Snape dies. In the book, he dies on the Shrieking Shack, and we wanted to get him out from, not a conventional interior, but from that kind of box, to do it in a more dramatic atmosphere. We asked J.K. if she agreed for that to happen in there, because we hadn't really seen it before. We made a crystal house, and you can see what happens in the boat house from there - Are you listening Harry? -, but also the school is in flames...and she loved it. Besides, it's a very romantic place to die. Snape dies in a extremely good way, I gotta say."
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" arrives in theaters this July.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

5337308-wicked_visions_thumb

I’m happier that Prof. Snape will be receiving a JK-approved new and improved place for dying, but I still wish that he wasn’t killed off at all :(

Posted by PupinaPinapple on January 18, 2011, 03:22 PM report to moderator
Neaqtw_th_thumb

Ugh, I’d rather it have stayed the same. Snape’s death on the dirty ground of the shack made it what it is. He deserved a beautiful death scene but he got killed just needlessly. It was an unjust death an that’s why it was so good. As long as he looks into harry’s (lily’s) eyes then thats okay i guess.

Posted by GryffindorGarstang on January 18, 2011, 03:53 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

I’m kind of confused on the way it was explained, however (if he HAS to die) as long as Severus Snape has a good send-off, I’m happy.

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on January 18, 2011, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

A crystal boat house? Where? O.o

If J.K Rowling approves…

Posted by Mr. Brightside on January 18, 2011, 04:13 PM report to moderator
146_thumb

I’m kind of confused. Where exactly is this crystal boathouse going to be located?
I mean, I’m alright that they’re changing it so it’ll be a bit more cinematic. I just hope that it’s even at all plausible.

Posted by Darth Mary on January 18, 2011, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Untitled-1_copy_copy1_thumb

I’m still a bit confused as for the location of that crystal house, but I think I’m ok with it.
However, “The Prince’s Tale” is my favorite episode of the entire series, so if they are going to change it- I’m gonna be effing annoyed. :P

Posted by ~Roni~ on January 18, 2011, 04:23 PM report to moderator
Maura_s_epic_abstract_inverted_art

I, for one, do not in any way, shape, or form agree with this decision.
First off: NO WHERE in the books does it even VAGUELY mention a clear-house-thing, or whatever.
Second: It’s suppose to be romantic?? Voldemort’s not marrying Snape, he’s killing him. For a killing scene, why would you want it somewhere romantic, if it’s suppose to be, like, and epic, quaint death. He’s suppose to die in vain. Shrieking Shack was a perfect place for him to die, because it will keep an evil, dark feel to it. It wouldn’t be very in-character for Voldemort to kill someone in a “romantic” place, now would it?
Third: If they change the book to the movie to much, it won’t keep it’s over-all story, and by changing “small” stuff like the house where Snape get’s killed, it might change the whole meaning of his death in some way.

Posted by mistypaws5 on January 18, 2011, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I agree with GryffindorGarstang – it’s the fact that it’s so needless and squalid that gives the scene much of its power.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 18, 2011, 04:32 PM report to moderator

I don’t see why they have to make changes to the book all the time. Why does a boat house that has never been mentioned before even have to come into it?
Hopefully the change will maintain the impact of this very important scene. I agree with DumbledoresMan5769; "“Not my Daughter, YOU BITCH” must be in there as I hope the explanation of Snape’s behaviour all these years is as well to some degree. Also agree with PadfootPet. Hopefully not too many more changes and that the final scene between Harry and Voldemort is in the great hall like in the book. Love the book.

Posted by Spook on January 18, 2011, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Happy_thumb

Crystal boathouse? Hmmm. Oh well, I think I’m okay with this as long as Prince’s Tale isn’t sacrificed.

Posted by Rachel Ravenclaw on January 18, 2011, 04:37 PM report to moderator
Muahaha_thumb

Interesting. Part 1 was meticulously faithful, so I’m all for mixing things up a bit. One way I imagined the “mother’s eyes” happening is we see Snape looking at Harry, then we see a closeup of Harry’s eyes, and they subtly morph into Lily’s eyes, then zoom out and we’re already into Snape’s memories. The memories play out, then cut to Harry lifting his head out of the Pensieve.

Posted by ScottMan on January 18, 2011, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I can’t access the Mexican site. I can’t help wondering if something has been lost in translation…..

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 18, 2011, 04:45 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

OH MY GOSH!!!! Don’t mess up with Snape’s dead!!! T_T It was perfect as the way Jo did it!!!! I just hope they dont screw it! i mean… they have ruined good scenes before i just dont know what to expect! I’ll only say if u r making it more dramatic, please put a bit of good sence in it so we can all cry about how sad and “perfect” it is and not because u ruined it!!!

Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

Peraonlly I think it sounds cool. I adore Snape and if he must die then let it be in a nicer place

Posted by joeys_mommy on January 18, 2011, 05:09 PM report to moderator