New J.K. Rowling Interview Quotes and Image from The Oprah Winfrey Show (Updated)

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Rosi
September 27, 2010, 10:38 AM

A press release issued today has a number of new quotations from J.K. Rowling's interview on The Oprah Winfrey Show, which will air this Friday, 1st October. Speaking to Oprah about the pressure of sudden stardom, Rowling says, "At that point, I kept saying to people, yeah I’m coping…but the truth was there were times when I was barely hanging on by a thread."

Update: A brand new image of J.K. Rowling and Oprah can now be seen here in our galleries!

The Harry Potter author also spoke about the moment she knew her life had changed forever, during her second tour of the USA:

There was this enormous Barnes & Noble, and I thought, oh my God.  And the queue snaked up the street, up the Barnes & Noble, up through four floors and they took me in the back entrance.  They opened the door and they screamed.  They screamed….That’s a real stand-out moment for me.  I knew it was getting big in that there was press attention and so on, but at that point, that for me...was when it felt 'Beatle-esque.'
Stay close to Leaky for more from the interview as it comes in! You can see the first images from the interview via this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

AWESOME.

Posted by SlyBones on September 28, 2010, 01:33 AM report to moderator
Red_lips_2_thumb

I’m looking forward to seeing this!

Posted by LittleMonster on September 28, 2010, 05:38 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

hope to be able to see it :-)

Posted by devilskinn on September 28, 2010, 07:30 AM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

hope to be able to see it :-)

Posted by devilskinn on September 28, 2010, 07:31 AM report to moderator

Whoa, Zach. NO ONE is better than the Beatles. NO ONE ever will be. But Jo Rowling IS an amazing woman. I think what I like most about her is her refusal to accept mediocre or the “norm.” I don’t know of any other author who would have made the decisions she made about her characters and plot lines. They all would have played it safe. Jo Rowling is very much her own woman.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on September 28, 2010, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Anime_thumb

Can’t wait to hear rest of it. Oh it won’t air in India.

Posted by Susmita singh on September 28, 2010, 09:41 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

This will be so awesome. I just hope Oprah has done her research and will ask good questions. Yay!

018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Look forward to seeing this even though I can’t stand Oprah Winfrey after the whole defending James Frey thing, then inviting him on the show to vilify him. Ugh makes you sick! But I love how she had to go to Edinburgh to Jo than the other way around. And woah I’d no idea the picture was gonna be that big, I think Oprah’s had work done if she’s 10 years Jo’s senior. I mean come on!

Posted by KiwiMcI on September 28, 2010, 01:04 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I’m setting my TV up now to tape the Oprah show. I have always thought tht Oprah and JKRowling should get together because they both have such a kind heart especially toward children. Oprah opened up a school in Africa for female girls who were not able to go to school. She feeds, clothes, and educates the girls. When she heard tht the girls weren’t getting the good food and it was being sold by some of the staff, she replaced the staff immediately. she has donated to various schools. She has also helped other groups. Her Angel Network launched in 98 gave $80 million to charity, that is just a nick of the works she has done. She is in no way a Death Eater. We all make mistakes (like the James Frey thing) but on the whole she is a pretty good and caring person. Don’t think tht it just so happened that she went to JKRowling rather than have her come to her show. That is the nature of Oprah. More than likely she heard that JKR is a private person and was more than happy to accommodate her and make sure everything was kept private . I could see Oprah going out of her way to satisfy JKR – Why do you think you didn’t even hear a rumor that what has already happened was going to happen? I am really looking forward to seeing the two of them get together. I hope they keep in touch because they are two caring people who had gone from rags to riches to helping the less fortunate. May The Almighty Bless them.

Posted by molly43 on September 29, 2010, 12:15 AM report to moderator
Sales_calendars_2011_042_thumb

awesome

Posted by hermy on October 02, 2010, 05:30 PM report to moderator

Dudley, who was so large his bottom drooped over either side of the kitchen chair, grinned and turned to Harry.[br]"Pass the frying pan."[br]"You've forgotten the magic word," said Harry irritably.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014