Snatcher Scenes in "Deathly Hallows" Described as "Really, Really Dark"

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
September 18, 2010, 04:15 AM

Nick Moran (Scabior) has commented on the Snatcher scenes in "Deathly Hallows", saying that they got so intense that some parts had to be cut:

"The scenes I did were really, really dark, really, really dark, but when I went to see them they cut some of the worst bits out, and I was talking to producer David Heyman, saying, 'Oh no, why's that gone?' He said, apparently it was like watching Saw," Nick told Absolute Radio DJ Christian O'Connell.

Moran also spoke briefly about the efforts taken towards keeping the script secret:

"I can't really give too much away - it's hilarious, because your script has a watermark in it," he recalled.
"It says a number, which is on every page, so that if you lose it, everyone knows it was you. So it's all top secret."

You can read more here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

oh wow will they be in deleted scenes? lets hope so. Thats pretty cool about the scripts having watermarks and stuff. hehe

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on September 19, 2010, 10:20 AM report to moderator
Remus_lupin_sized_thumb

Even in the Muggle world deleting scenes is never a good sign..

Posted by loopylupin on September 19, 2010, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Oh, I hope the dark scenes weren’t that good! And if they were, I hope they have them on the DVD when it comes out!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 19, 2010, 03:33 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I have to disagree with the majority here. It’s been decades since I had to worry about being too young to get into certain categories of movies, but I still would never willingly sit through a slasher film, even if the theater paid me and not vice versa. And although DH is certainly a dark book, I don’t see how the story would be ‘improved’ by adding extra scenes unspecified by the author that make the atrocities of the Death Eathers more explicitly gruesome. I think that scenes like Snape’s death will be hard enough to watch. Turning DH into a gratuitous gorefest would not make it better.

However, I can understand the filmmakers perhaps wanting to put the Death Eater actors through certain actions as a way of getting more deeply into their awful characters. They may have intended those just as Stanislavsky Method exercises, but shot them anyway ‘just in case’ something came out usable.

To those who argue that anything that makes the story darker would be an improvement, consider this: JKR very carefully avoided describing any actions of the Death Eaters that would cross the line into rape and sexual sadism. The only such reference in the whole series is the behavior of the Muggle boys who attacked Ariana, and it is very oblique; the details of what is presumably a gang-rape are left entirely to our imaginations.

Yet many of those of us for whom the HP saga seems very real must have wondered what else the DEs were up to besides killing and maiming and extorting and intimidating. When one hears about totally warped, awful people in the real world, like that Austrian guy who kept his daughter captive in a secret room all those years, it’s hard to imagine that the DEs were not capable of as bad behavior as any such Muggle. Surely their allegiance to Voldemort did not include monkish vows of chastity – although one might reasonably deduce that LV himself had left so much of his humanity behind that he no longer had a libido as such, having replaced it with an exaggerated lust for power and immortality. (If so, that makes Bellatrix’s slavish devotion to him all the creepier, in a way – maybe it’s her frustrated desire that inspires her pathological cruelty? You know, like the old joke about the masochist who begs, ‘Beat me! Beat me!’ and the sadist who replies, "Nooooo…’)

We are free to speculate all we like about the darkest corners of the Death Eater subculture, but who would argue that the movies would be improved by adding these elements that JKR made a point of not mentioning? Sure, it would make them darker; but gore, guts and kinkiness are not what this tale is about, and adding them except where absolutely necessary to the narrative would alienate huge segments of potential viewers, to no real purpose.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 19, 2010, 04:20 PM report to moderator
Ravenklauw_thumb

i like to see HP movies go a bit darker than useally becouse in the books you see that it is getting darker. So i think it´s pitty that they cut the worst dark parts out…, unless it was tooo dark so my little sis can´t watch it ;)

Posted by L. Ravenclaw on September 19, 2010, 04:33 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

I hate the idea of cutting scenes but if it was just gratuitous horror then I’d rather they cut them – it’s dark enough

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on September 19, 2010, 06:25 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

I am Personally Glad that they cut out any Saw-like scenes. I have never seen those movies and do not intend to since I have an extreme fear of Horror movies & Books. I don’t mind how dark the film books have been because it hasn’t gone past my Level of being frightened.

Regarding WeenyOwl- I completely and totally agree with your post. I think there was a reason JK avoided gettign too explicit with the DE actions.

Posted by joeys_mommy on September 19, 2010, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I agree with WeenyOwl and joeys_mommy. I think the films should keep to the same level of horror as the books, which will be quite dark in any case when it’s shown on the big screen. I too wouldn’t dream of going to a Saw-type film.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on September 20, 2010, 02:08 AM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

How many bits in DH were about snatchers? I didn’t think there were but a couple anyway …
And, remember that these folks are making a film and – just occasionally – they depart from the book, just a teensy bit!;D

Posted by 2tal - SpiritMagic174 on September 20, 2010, 02:45 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

i loved saw and snatchers sound like jigsaw brutal so that would have been perfect. THEY BETTER BE ON THE BLURAY

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on September 21, 2010, 12:55 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I think most of the Snatchers were petty thugs and bullies who were being used by the Death Eaters. Most of their work was grabbing children who were on the run from school.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on September 21, 2010, 02:23 AM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

Granted the scenes were a bit violent and scary but don’t they realize that the true followers of book and the audience have grown with the series too it has taken 10 years for the series to complete if at average a boy at 9 has started with the series would be 17/18/19+ so don’t they think he is mature enough to watch the capture scene uncut

Posted by blackhair on September 21, 2010, 06:48 AM report to moderator
Alice28a_thumb

Having worked in the industry, its just the way it works. They cut “some of the worse parts out” because it most likely doesn’t fit with the rest of the film. I’m sure the film is dark enough but to have a scene that is really beyond and slasher film like, it’s too much and jarring if it doesn’t stay with the rest of the film’s feeling. Again though they said “parts” not entire scenes. They can’t cut the snatchers all together since that’s how they get to Malfoy Mannor…however they can cut what they feel is necessary if it’s just too much. Remember Greyback is in that scene and if it went to far with him, they it needs to be cut.

Also, @hallowman they are called test screenings for a reason. Not final cut screenings, not premieres, but test screenings. They use those to test audience reactions to specific parts of the film that they aren’t quite sure about and then go and make changes based on the audience reactions. And given that it’s September, I can pretty much 99% guarantee that they are still making changes. They will be making changes into November until it is literately impossible for them to do any more because they have to ship out the film. Its how the industry works. Constant changes, constant viewings and several different ways to portray a single scene.

Posted by beckett19 on September 21, 2010, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Photo0350_thumb

Posted by Polka Square on September 22, 2010, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Hni_0022_thumb

oh no! hopefully they put them into an extended edition or something …

Posted by ϟ☮Sindi a.k.a Remy [ROAR!!]☮ϟ on September 23, 2010, 01:07 AM report to moderator

"You only like [Cedric] because he's [i]handsome,[/i]" said Ron scathingly.[br]"Excuse me, I don't like people just because they're handsome!" said Hermione indignantly.[br]Ron gave a loud false cough, which sounded oddly like [i]"Lockhart!"[/i]

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014