Emma Watson: New Pixie Haircut Was "The Most Liberating Thing"

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
August 05, 2010, 05:25 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) described her recent short pixie haircut as "the most liberating thing!" to Entertainment Weekly. “The stylist just grabbed the back of my hair and took a whole ponytail of hair out. It felt amazing,” continued the actress, also commenting that she "missed all that experimentation that most teenagers go through." For continuity purposes in her role as Hermione Granger, Watson had to keep her hair in the same style for a decade whilst she worked on the Harry Potter films.

Watson further remarks that she has wanted to cut her hair since the age of "about 16 so as soon as I had the chance I was like, 'Right. This is it.'" The short EW.com article features a Polaroid of Watson's new hair from Entertainment Weekly's upcoming Fall Movie Preview issue. You can find this new picture in our galleries via this link.

In related news, Emma Watson updated her new Facebook page and Twitter account to comment further on the haircut, once again describing it as liberating. On Facebook, Watson wrote:

Dear all. Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like. Big love from Emma x
A new black and white photo of Watson sporting her new look has been uploaded to the Facebook page and can be seen in our galleries at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Happy_thumb

What’s wrong with the haircut? It’s totally fab! If I were Emma, I’d like other to appreciate my new haircut! Besides, it is a cool haircut. Maybe you are so used to her Hermione-style haircut so you think it doesn’t look right. I still think it is an awesome haircut.

Posted by Beatrice Jean Granger on August 06, 2010, 07:25 AM report to moderator
Rose1_thumb

Ohhhh…NO!!!!! Her hair was enviable!!!!! :‘( I’m so sad…. :’(

Posted by Liara on August 06, 2010, 07:41 AM report to moderator

Especially from the picture, she looks a little like a cross between Twiggy and Mia Farrow in “Rosemary’s Baby.”

Posted by zoltan42 on August 06, 2010, 07:57 AM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

WOW!! Emma it looks really nice on you!! and kind of modelish!!!!
I actually did that once when I was 20 years old, my hair was below my bottom and I had it cut off in a pixie hair style, I donated my hair to lots of Love!!! and when I walked in my house my parents were speachless!!! they did not say that they did not like it, come to think of it they couldn’t seem to form words for the shock!!! I have had it cut a different times since then, but never that short again!!! lol

Posted by Mistic Willow on August 06, 2010, 08:29 AM report to moderator
P4093399_thumb

I love cutting my hair and I adore changes!!!! But!………………I don’t like this Twiggy thing on her. I loved her long hair..this…not so much… Not that my opinion matters anyway..

Posted by Natalia {ROAR} on August 06, 2010, 09:27 AM report to moderator
Malfoy_avatar_thumb

Wow! She looks fantastic!

Posted by Hydrus on August 06, 2010, 09:35 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Ms. Watson was a nice-looking young woman before, but this radical new move just raised her image by a factor of 100 – she looks older, more sophisticated and really, really striking now. She has just what it takes to pull off this look: beautiful eyes, small ears and fine facial bone structure. (How many boys have that? And yet most nowadays wear their hair institutionally short, yuck!) All of these assets were somewhat obscured by her old cloud of hair. Brava, Emma!

I think this haircut should now be dubbed the Fawkes, since it represents Emma rising from the ashes of her previous life!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on August 06, 2010, 10:18 AM report to moderator

Looks great, Emma. Cheers!

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on August 06, 2010, 10:56 AM report to moderator

I like that Emma was going for a new look, but the haircut is a bit shorter than I tend to like. I would expect her to do more of a bob.

Posted by RavenclawGirl13 on August 06, 2010, 11:01 AM report to moderator

The haircut works for her, but it makes me sad because it reminds me of how she is done doing Hermione. :(

Posted by RavenclawGirl13 on August 06, 2010, 11:03 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I love it. You look really great. It must be a great relief to finally do your hair the way you want. With each of my pregnancies after months of not being able to lay on my stomach it was a great relief to beable to after the baby was born.

Posted by molly43 on August 06, 2010, 11:29 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Wow, that does look different on her…..but the look doesn’t seem that bad…

Deathly_hallows_nowhere_is_safe_poster_normal_thumb

awful!!!!!!!!!! boooooooooooooooo! I don’t like

Posted by blackhawks88 on August 06, 2010, 01:14 PM report to moderator
Trio_poster_thumb

She reminds me of Mia Wasikowska now… :) If she likes it, who are we to judge??

Posted by Petra on August 06, 2010, 01:16 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I think that the short haircut makes Emma look more mature, and really brings out the structure of her face and her beautiful eyes. I bet the guys likje the long hair thing, but the ladies will understand why she went to shorter hair.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on August 06, 2010, 01:23 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Lower your wand, boy, before you take someone's eye out."