Emma Watson: New Pixie Haircut Was "The Most Liberating Thing"

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
August 05, 2010, 05:25 PM

Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) described her recent short pixie haircut as "the most liberating thing!" to Entertainment Weekly. “The stylist just grabbed the back of my hair and took a whole ponytail of hair out. It felt amazing,” continued the actress, also commenting that she "missed all that experimentation that most teenagers go through." For continuity purposes in her role as Hermione Granger, Watson had to keep her hair in the same style for a decade whilst she worked on the Harry Potter films.

Watson further remarks that she has wanted to cut her hair since the age of "about 16 so as soon as I had the chance I was like, 'Right. This is it.'" The short EW.com article features a Polaroid of Watson's new hair from Entertainment Weekly's upcoming Fall Movie Preview issue. You can find this new picture in our galleries via this link.

In related news, Emma Watson updated her new Facebook page and Twitter account to comment further on the haircut, once again describing it as liberating. On Facebook, Watson wrote:

Dear all. Cut my hair off a few days ago... Feels incredible. I love it. I've wanted to do this for years and years; it's the most liberating thing ever. Hope you like. Big love from Emma x
A new black and white photo of Watson sporting her new look has been uploaded to the Facebook page and can be seen in our galleries at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

She can literally wear everything, even the famous Hogwarts toilet seat. Her FACE is just gorgeous

Posted by Giant Fairy on August 05, 2010, 06:46 PM report to moderator

Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Portman, Twiggy, Halle Berry, all beautiful, all went the bob route, and all looked great, as does Emma. Pure class. Now she can move on. Hermione’s history.

Posted by rotfang07 on August 05, 2010, 06:51 PM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

Doing whatever you wish to your hair is something most people take for granted. Good for you, Emma. I think it’s super cute.

Posted by AvanelleWood on August 05, 2010, 07:08 PM report to moderator
Img_3044_thumb

I think she looks beautiful! Like always!
And what is with everything I’ve been seeing about people saying women don’t look good with short hair? A few months ago I cut my hair this short and I absolutely love it. I feel much more confident and confidence is hot! Doing what you really want and what makes you feel best makes you present yourself in a different way. I think what these people mean is that THEY think women don’t look good with short hair. No need to criticize people’s personal choices. Sorry, I just took that personally I guess.
It takes guts to cut your hair this short, even with it being a trend. I’m glad she had the guts to do what she wanted. That’s a tough thing to do in a business where everyone watches your every move.

Posted by lptaylor101 on August 05, 2010, 07:26 PM report to moderator
Geiles_filmplakat_thumb

I really love this haircut.There are some women whose faces just look ten times better when no long hair restricts their face. I never thought it but apparently Emma is one of those girls. I never quite realized how gorgeous her eyes were until she cut all this hair away. It looks awesome. And I say that as a person who is not really a big fan of Emma. But that she was brave enough to cut her hair like that, not caring about the traditional stereotypical images or the reaction of the press, really made her rise in my respect.

Posted by leonix on August 05, 2010, 07:56 PM report to moderator
Normal_110616091247448843_thumb

It should make things a lot easier for her when she goes back to school. I’ve worn my hair short for as long as I can remember (not quite that short) and it’s great to just wash and go. Besides, it’s easy to grow back should she decide to. But for now she looks awesome…Twiggy’s look definitely came to mind. I wonder if she donated the pony tail to ‘Locks of Love’, can you imagine some little girl getting a wig made from “Hermione’s hair.” :)

Posted by brattyc on August 05, 2010, 08:14 PM report to moderator

this is different…buts it’s nice. nice and modern. and for all you people who are saying it’s not that good, you’re gonna get used to it. it’s just that you’re used to seeing her with long hair.
congrats emma for having the courage to chop off all your hair. i would never be able to do that. (man, imagine having the same style for 10 years! that’s a pretty long time.)

Posted by nimbus2010 on August 05, 2010, 08:21 PM report to moderator
Copy_of_20091106125430dumbledore_thumb
2059 Points

its not that i hate her hair but it seems she’s not the booklover-hermione i used to love… but as a fan i will support her all the way

Posted by ♫Dumbledore'sApprentice♫ on August 05, 2010, 08:25 PM report to moderator

Definitely a new look but hey she seems excited about it so I think it was a good thing.

Posted by on August 05, 2010, 08:26 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_books_thumb

At first glance she reminded me of Twiggy. But, as someone who recently shaved her head, I must agree with her that it is in fact liberating. And i do love it one her although i would pass her if I was to walk pass her. It so different.

Posted by Anna Weasley on August 05, 2010, 08:38 PM report to moderator
Photo_on_2010-08-17_at_14

personally i think she looks better with longer hair, but since she’s wanted to do it for a while i guess its ok.

Posted by HP98 on August 05, 2010, 08:46 PM report to moderator

She looks much better with shorter hair. It actually really suits her. It’s cute!

Posted by halcyon /roar/ on August 05, 2010, 08:50 PM report to moderator

When I was in eighth grade, I did the exact same thing. I know exactly what she means about the feeling of liberation. I remember going into school the following day and having half of my friends saying they liked it and having half of them say, not that they preferred it the other way, but that they hated it and they couldn’t believe I would do something like that. All I can say is: To all of those people who laughed at me … Obviously it was cool, because Emma Watson did the exact same thing! You go girl!

Posted by Lily Phoenix on August 05, 2010, 08:51 PM report to moderator
Dsc01254_thumb

People ! WAKE UP ! She isn’t Hermione, she’s Emma Watson ! She has a right to change and not look the exact same for the rest of her life. You’re delusional if you think that’s even possible. Taking the “super fan” to the extreme… Emma, you look fabulous. You’re eyes and you face look 100% perfect with this cut. Gorgeous !

Posted by HPIsLegit on August 05, 2010, 08:51 PM report to moderator

Oh, wow. She looks TERRIBLE. I didn’t think there was anything she could do that would make her not look attractive, but I was wrong. This is the kind of haircut that will cause children to scream in fright.

Posted by Reader511 on August 05, 2010, 08:59 PM report to moderator

"Look at that!" Bagman was yelling. "Will you look at that! Our youngest champion is quickest to get his egg! Well, this is going to shorten the odds on Mr. Potter!"