J. K. Rowling Donates 10 Million Pounds for MS Research at University of Edinburgh

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 31, 2010, 08:28 AM

The BBC is reporting this morning that Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has given a donation of 10 million pounds to the University of Edinburgh to fund a research clinic studying MS (Multiple sclerosis).  The new research clinic will be named the Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic, after the author's mother who suffered from the decease and passed away at age 45.  The BBC goes on to note that the clinic will also focus their efforts "on other degenerative neurological conditions, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease and Motor Neurone Disease."  Ms Rowling is quoted as saying in regards to the donation:

"I cannot think of anything more important, or of more lasting value, than to help the university attract world-class minds in the field of neuroregeneration, to build on its long and illustrious history of medical research and, ultimately, to seek a cure for a very Scottish disease.
"I have just turned 45, the age at which my mother, Anne, died of complications related to her MS.
"I know that she would rather have had her name on this clinic than on any statue, flower garden or commemorative plaque, so this donation is on her behalf, too; and in gratitude for everything she gave me in her far-too-short life."
A second article on SkyNews reports that '[t]he Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic will be based in a purpose-built facility within the University's Chancellor's Building, next to the city's Royal Infirmary at Little France.  University officials said the development will build on Edinburgh's "strong track records" in patient-focused clinical research on neurological disorders and in imaging of the brain and nervous system.  It follows the setting up of the Centre for Multiple Sclerosis Research at the university three years ago, which also received support from the author."

More information about the Centre for MS Research at the University of Edinburgh can be found via this link.

Many thanks, Erna!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

553520_488880994466250_43107597_n_thumb

Oh, Jo you’re just so amazing! I wish I had the money to do something like that : )

Posted by Asria (DreamLight208) on August 31, 2010, 02:34 PM report to moderator
Pic_thumb

Good for Mrs.Rowling! What a wonderful contribution she has made that is sure to help other people out :)

Posted by Phoebe of Gryffindor on August 31, 2010, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Actual_kurt_hummel_thumb

Jo, you are really selfless and generous, I’m absolutely astounded by that donation! It’s … it’s … I’m speechless!!!
Love you, Jo, you’re brilliant!!!
x)

Posted by Gryffindor_Girl_xx {ROAR!!} on August 31, 2010, 03:13 PM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

Good on you JK Rowling, what a worthy cause going to a very good university!

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on August 31, 2010, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Mefleming_thumb

I’m so glad that Jo has chosen to use her powers for good rather than evil. We could really be in trouble!

No really – way to go Jo! We should all be so generous with our time, energy and/or money.

Posted by NDduLac [Dodo] on August 31, 2010, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Hinkypunk2_thumb

Very cool!

Posted by Hinkypunk on August 31, 2010, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

Wow, how awesome!! Jo is so generous, I love her! And I did my stage last year about motor neuron disease, and all my subjects this year are about neuroscience, genetics, neurological diseases,.. I would love to work there someday! :)

Posted by lollifant on August 31, 2010, 04:10 PM report to moderator

This is generous. (: Plus she did it from the heart.

Posted by on August 31, 2010, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Sarita, not exactly sure what you meant by that, but Jo is also involved in her charity Lumos (formerly known as the Children’s High Level group), which protects the rights of institutionalized children in the Czech Republic and Moldova. If you’ll recall, all the proceeds of Beedle the Bard went to that charity. She also donated to Haiti after the earthquake, and has opening discussed donating to other charities. Besides, I think most people who become involved in charities, regardless if they’re famous or not, usually pick ones that support causes they feel passionate about.

Posted by mollywobble on August 31, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator

Wow that’s great but who picked the photo it does not even look like her!

Posted by doughboy6390 on August 31, 2010, 05:45 PM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

I just saw that news on Five just before CSI hehe

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on August 31, 2010, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Mac3_thumb
1925 Points

Thats great my grandmother suffered parkinson’s diease and 10 millon pounds is a lot of money.

Posted by Parkinsonpansy on August 31, 2010, 06:06 PM report to moderator

Today after work I thought I’d pick up a book at the nearby Barnes & Noble’s and passed a woman with MS on the way out. She had one of those motorized scooter things and was flanked on either side by her two little boys who were both looking adoringly at her. I kept thinking — chances are it’s going to get harder for her as they grow older and her own body weakens. It’s so fantastic that Jo is doing this. It’s going to affect the people we see every day.

Posted by Libby on August 31, 2010, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Jo—everyday we your fans think you couldnt get any more awesome, and again and again you prove us wrong!!!!!!!! My mom also lost her mom at age 49, and she and her sisters are just turning with in that age range. my aunt just turned 50 and she looked at her sisters and said “i made it.” so Jo you have made it and your mother would very proud of you and what you are doing! I also lost my grandparents (my grandmother died on my birthday) and aunt to alzheimer’s so i know very well how devestating that disease can be as well! so great job Jo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all love and support you!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on August 31, 2010, 06:24 PM report to moderator
Lilyfoxcaps_thumb

My mother also has MS, so thank you so much, Jo.

I know people have pointed out the “deceased” typo, but just letting you know you might wanna fix it :)

Posted by TurquoiseRose13 on August 31, 2010, 06:25 PM report to moderator

"Ordinary Wizarding Levels," George explained, seeing Harry's puzzled look. "Bill got twelve, too. If we're not careful, we'll have another Head Boy in the family. I don't think I could stand the shame."