J. K. Rowling Donates 10 Million Pounds for MS Research at University of Edinburgh

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 31, 2010, 08:28 AM

The BBC is reporting this morning that Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling has given a donation of 10 million pounds to the University of Edinburgh to fund a research clinic studying MS (Multiple sclerosis).  The new research clinic will be named the Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic, after the author's mother who suffered from the decease and passed away at age 45.  The BBC goes on to note that the clinic will also focus their efforts "on other degenerative neurological conditions, including Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, Huntington's disease and Motor Neurone Disease."  Ms Rowling is quoted as saying in regards to the donation:

"I cannot think of anything more important, or of more lasting value, than to help the university attract world-class minds in the field of neuroregeneration, to build on its long and illustrious history of medical research and, ultimately, to seek a cure for a very Scottish disease.
"I have just turned 45, the age at which my mother, Anne, died of complications related to her MS.
"I know that she would rather have had her name on this clinic than on any statue, flower garden or commemorative plaque, so this donation is on her behalf, too; and in gratitude for everything she gave me in her far-too-short life."
A second article on SkyNews reports that '[t]he Anne Rowling Regenerative Neurology Clinic will be based in a purpose-built facility within the University's Chancellor's Building, next to the city's Royal Infirmary at Little France.  University officials said the development will build on Edinburgh's "strong track records" in patient-focused clinical research on neurological disorders and in imaging of the brain and nervous system.  It follows the setting up of the Centre for Multiple Sclerosis Research at the university three years ago, which also received support from the author."

More information about the Centre for MS Research at the University of Edinburgh can be found via this link.

Many thanks, Erna!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

It may be silly but this article brought me to tears. I hope that her generous donation results in many more mothers (and fathers) being able to fight these diseases long enough to see their children and grandchildren grow into as fine adults as Ms. Rowling has grown.

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on August 31, 2010, 11:46 AM report to moderator
3106762989_1_7_lisbs0hy_thumb

What a generosity!!!

Posted by CDR on August 31, 2010, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

No wonder she donated, celebrities only donate to charities if it brings back memories or something………
But MS is a highly complex disease, I hope they do find a cure. Atleast then Anne Rowling’s soul will rest in peace.

Hedwig_avatar_thumb

I sincerely hope that the research at this clinic does come up with the solution to the scourge of MS. Nothing could give Jo greater satisfaction than that. It would be a lasting tribute to two fine women.

Posted by Graymayne on August 31, 2010, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

I’m speechless. She’s amazing<3

Posted by ProfessorAlice on August 31, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_morals_3_by_mazza_909_thumb

It’s great to see that she spend some of her money on things like this, not only all of them on herself, like other very successful people. A great act Jo!:D

Posted by Lonewolf_ ^HISS^ on August 31, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Great way to spend your money :)

4ruy99_thumb

I <3 Jo.

Posted by margoooo on August 31, 2010, 01:08 PM report to moderator
4ruy99_thumb

♫Sarita♫ [Roar]! : I think that is an unfair statement, especially concerning Jo. She donates to many charities, not just ones she has a personal connection to. Also, being a celeb doesn’t mean one is required to be a philanthropist.

Posted by margoooo on August 31, 2010, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Wow! Jo continues to amaze me.

Posted by da_member0808 on August 31, 2010, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

So cool I can’t stand it.

Posted by Girlraven1 on August 31, 2010, 01:52 PM report to moderator
Harry_-_the_forest_again_thumb

What a truly remarkable , loving , kind and generous woman Jo is. This terrible disease strikes close to her heart and she would love to see some great strides and progress made in combating it.

I admire this woman and respect her.

Posted by Hinkypunkmum on August 31, 2010, 01:54 PM report to moderator
C017d946ef7d412f3ee0b578740238b2_thumb

jo is a lovely woman for doing this

Posted by xxeleanortheplantxx on August 31, 2010, 02:04 PM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2010-11-20_at_12

JK Rowling rocks!!!

Posted by SlyBones on August 31, 2010, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Is_thumb

I must say, if I had her money I would probably waste a good portion of it…I guess that’s why she has it and not me! Bravo for all your generosity!

Posted by CharlieNevin on August 31, 2010, 02:32 PM report to moderator

"Where will you go, Dumbledore?" whispered Professor McGonagall. "Grimmauld Place?"[br]"Oh no," said Dumbledore with a grim smile. "I am not leaving to go into hiding. Fudge will soon wish he'd never dislodged me from Hogwarts, I promise you..."