Esther Earl

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
August 25, 2010, 09:45 AM

We don't often do this on Leaky, but today, we have to take a moment to inform and comfort each other. Some of you may remember Esther Earl, in whose name many of you voted for the HP Alliance in the Chase Community Challenge (see this video for more). A 16-year-old girl with boundless courage and a thirst for life, love and friendship, Esther (whose name means "star") was a bright light who reminded us all how important it is to connect with one another while we are able.

She had cancer, though she would be the first to tell you this was not the most defining fact of her life. Especially in the past year, Esther became an inspiration to thousands of Harry Potter fans. She encouraged everyone to be their best selves, and to pronounce feelings of love openly and loudly, while you had the chance.

Early this morning, Esther Earl, a true Gryffindor, passed away. She was a dear friend to Leaky and will be missed greatly.

Her family says: "We are convinced she is more truly alive than ever, but still our hearts are breaking."

We know she is on her next great adventure, but also know this is difficult for those who are not. We wanted to let you know, and to offer a place for Harry fans to say something in her memory. We know it's difficult to know what to say or do when this kind of tragedy strikes; we know the goodness in all of you will mean you want to take action, do something to comfort her friends and family. The best thing to do, today, is to send up a thought, a wish, a prayer, for those who are hurting, to the community she so touched, to her friends and family as they work through their grief. Then, live your life as fully and as joyfully as Esther did.

In the future we will have more information about ways in which we are actively honoring her. You can visit her family's web site for more about the upcoming memorial services or just to send a note of support.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

My condolences to her Family…

I send a prayer to the Lord asking him to comfort them.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on August 25, 2010, 02:23 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

I didn’t know Esther personally, but I knew of her wonderful spirit and unending love for Nerdfighteria and the HPA. I’m so blessed to have known her in the way I did, and I’m praying for her family and friends and everyone she touched in her sixteen years. Heaven is a little bit more awesome today than it was yesterday. Thank you, Esther, for all that you taught us.

Posted by RavenclawDancer on August 25, 2010, 02:24 PM report to moderator

She Inspired all Potter Fans.R.I.P.x

Posted by azna70 on August 25, 2010, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Normal_09012004_thumb

<3 thank you esther for being such a strong and inspiring person. even though most of us never met you, you were a part of our crazy harry potter family, and for that alone we love you. but even more, you made the best of your situation and inspired everyone around you to do something amazing, and that is TRULY what a harry potter fan and true gryffindor would do.

my best wishes to all her family and friends- she was greatly loved!

Posted by sarahkaz on August 25, 2010, 02:38 PM report to moderator
Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

While I never got the chance to learn more about Esther, I feel I know her more than ever. For her to have been part of this fandom/series, which centers on love,friendship, and death, is truly something. And my heart goes out to her family. Losing a child is heartbreaking. But let us keep in mind what Dumbledore once said, “the ones we love never truly leave us”. RIP Esther, may you watch over your family and friends and this HP community with a smile knowing you will still be loved and missed.

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on August 25, 2010, 02:51 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

She looked really lovely in the video.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on August 25, 2010, 02:55 PM report to moderator
Diagon_thumb

This is heartbreaking. My thoughts are with her family and friends <3

Posted by Sigourney♥ on August 25, 2010, 03:12 PM report to moderator

my thoughts and love go out to esthers family and friends.
Much love and strength to ester on embarking on her next great adventure xx

Posted by Hermione and the House Elves on August 25, 2010, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

my thoughs are with all her family and friends. she sounded amazing, and i wished i could’ve been lucky enough to meet her.

Personal_profile_pic_thumb

Esther, You showed us what it truly meant to be a gryffindor. You showed us what simply thinking positive can achieve and you brought a community together to achieve amazing things. I hope heaven treats you well. For Esther.

Posted by Shauna on August 25, 2010, 03:29 PM report to moderator

I didn’t know of Esther until today, but she is a true Gryffindor, and I’m so sorry that she passed away. Best wishes to her family, and hope they live a full life, no matter what happened.

Posted by nimbus2010 on August 25, 2010, 03:33 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I’d never heard of her before until now and I already love her!! I hope her the best in her new life. Its ashame she had to go. :’( She sounded like a great harry potter fan.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on August 25, 2010, 03:50 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

wonderful post Mel. there’s nothing left to say really. may she rest in peace.

Posted by Matea on August 25, 2010, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_6_18_10_025_thumb

Esther u will be greatly missed rest in peace <3

Posted by megash06 on August 25, 2010, 04:02 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_part_ii_4d2a43235e73d626bc003b44_poster_original_thumb

Esther was a great person in the Harry Potter community and she will never be forgotten. She inspired all of us as Harry Potter fans. Esther will always be remembered. <333

Posted by jorowlinglover31 (ROAR!!!!) on August 25, 2010, 04:10 PM report to moderator

"Don't you understand? If Snape gets hold of the Stone, Voldemort's coming back! Haven't you heard what it was like when he was trying to take over? There won't be any Hogwarts to get expelled from! He'll flatten it, or turn it into a school for the Dark

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014