Esther Earl

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
August 25, 2010, 09:45 AM

We don't often do this on Leaky, but today, we have to take a moment to inform and comfort each other. Some of you may remember Esther Earl, in whose name many of you voted for the HP Alliance in the Chase Community Challenge (see this video for more). A 16-year-old girl with boundless courage and a thirst for life, love and friendship, Esther (whose name means "star") was a bright light who reminded us all how important it is to connect with one another while we are able.

She had cancer, though she would be the first to tell you this was not the most defining fact of her life. Especially in the past year, Esther became an inspiration to thousands of Harry Potter fans. She encouraged everyone to be their best selves, and to pronounce feelings of love openly and loudly, while you had the chance.

Early this morning, Esther Earl, a true Gryffindor, passed away. She was a dear friend to Leaky and will be missed greatly.

Her family says: "We are convinced she is more truly alive than ever, but still our hearts are breaking."

We know she is on her next great adventure, but also know this is difficult for those who are not. We wanted to let you know, and to offer a place for Harry fans to say something in her memory. We know it's difficult to know what to say or do when this kind of tragedy strikes; we know the goodness in all of you will mean you want to take action, do something to comfort her friends and family. The best thing to do, today, is to send up a thought, a wish, a prayer, for those who are hurting, to the community she so touched, to her friends and family as they work through their grief. Then, live your life as fully and as joyfully as Esther did.

In the future we will have more information about ways in which we are actively honoring her. You can visit her family's web site for more about the upcoming memorial services or just to send a note of support.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Naughty_galaxy_thumb

She sounds like a very brave and wonderful young lady who enriched people’s lives. My heart goes out to her family.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on August 25, 2010, 11:03 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

That picture of Esther on her page holding HP book – wow – you could see the love in her eyes – Jo gave her something, as Esther gave us all something – your light burns on.

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on August 25, 2010, 11:15 AM report to moderator
111253053264374815_j3jgvm8y_c_thumb

Many thoughts and prayers go to your family. You will be greatly missed but never forgetten. You are a great inspiration to all of us and may you rest in peace.

Posted by ksddancer... ROAR!!!!!!! on August 25, 2010, 11:19 AM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

She was a bright star and a true inspiration. I knew she had cancer, but never even imagined this would happen, because she always looked so happy and full of life and that’s how we’ll remember her.
Like Thio says: “Have fun on your next great adventure.”

Posted by lollifant on August 25, 2010, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Avatar_3_thumb

Goodbye Esther. You truly inspire everyone around you to be the best person that they could be. Thank you for being a shining light of hope. DFTBA. Have fun on your next great adventure <3

Posted by netsrikb on August 25, 2010, 11:20 AM report to moderator
Vivi_avie_thumb

My thoughts and prayers go out to Esther’s family. May her star shine bright forever.

Posted by tryston009 on August 25, 2010, 11:24 AM report to moderator

May you rest in peace dear Esther. Here at Leaky, we’ll be thinking of you and your family. God will give them the strength to carry on, and I know that you’ll be watching from way up high, from a far more magical place then here. We love you.

Posted by emdash84 on August 25, 2010, 11:30 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Esther is amazing<3 rip

Posted by IloveDobby on August 25, 2010, 11:38 AM report to moderator

This is so sad. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. The fandom that you loved and did so much for will always be thankful for your work. You will be missed!

Posted by Lily Phoenix on August 25, 2010, 11:42 AM report to moderator
Hermine_thumb

<3<3<3 R.I.P Esther…

Posted by Hermine321 on August 25, 2010, 11:53 AM report to moderator

Goodbye Esther. You’ve inspired so many of us, especially today, to be better. I hope that we can all carry your memory and do great things.

Posted by Amy Snow on August 25, 2010, 11:58 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I believe she’s in a better place without the pain and suffering. With the kind of person that she seemed to be, I think she is experiencing happiness to a degree that we in this life can’t know. I hope that God will ease the pain of those who love and miss her. It may help to ease it by keeping something special of hers that you know she loves. I think she would want to be remembered and it could help you remember the good times when you see it. May God have mercy on your family and give you peace of mind.

Posted by molly43 on August 25, 2010, 12:00 PM report to moderator
The_magic_is_gone_thumb

rest in peace, you will be greatly missed. I’m sure you are discussing Harry Potter up in heaven.

Posted by iButterbeer on August 25, 2010, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Dobbyavvie_thumb

I did not know Esther personally, but I knew of her from HPAFTW. I was immediately inspired by her passion and fortitude, and went on to check out her twitter and videos. I found out that she was my age, a Harry Potter fan, and a totally awesome person, and we had a bunch of mutual friends on Facebook, so I hoped that our paths would cross at some point. I regret never having the chance to talk to her. My thoughts go out to her family. She had an impact even on those of us who didn’t know her personally. After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure, and it’s clear that Esther’s mind was much more than organized.

-Laurie

Posted by Scarlet~Phoenix on August 25, 2010, 12:12 PM report to moderator
Ootp_tumblr_thumb

My heart goes out to them, as well as my prayers. i hope this verse helps, even if you believe in it or not… “The time for my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me…”
-2 Tim 4:6-8

Posted by hermy007 on August 25, 2010, 12:14 PM report to moderator

"If I'd sprouted whiskers, I'd take a break from work," said Ron, tipping a stack of books onto Hermione's bedside table one evening.