Durham University to Offer Harry Potter Course Next Year

Education
Posted by: Mel
August 18, 2010, 08:41 PM

BBC News is reporting that Durham University will be offering a course based around Harry Potter, entitled "Harry Potter and the Age of Illusion," starting next year:

The Durham University module uses the works of JK Rowling to examine prejudice, citizenship and bullying in modern society.
...
A university spokesman said: "This module places the Harry Potter novels in their wider social and cultural context.
"A number of themes will be explored, including the world of rituals, prejudice and intolerance in the classroom, bullying, friendship and solidarity and the ideals of and good citizenship."

You can read more here. Thanks to rotfang07 and MuggleQueen for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Education News

Normal_dh_stills_0001_thumb

I took a Harry Potter course at my university my freshmen year. I believe it was titled “Harry Potter: Good, Evil, and Morals”. By far the best class i have taken. We discussed numerology, the meaning of names, why certain characters chose to be good/evil. And the best part of it all was we kept house points (i was in slytherin) and at the end of the year we won and so our professor made us home-made wands!!!!

Posted by HPandtheDA007 on August 20, 2010, 10:08 PM report to moderator

Wow… I want to go there!

Posted by LoonyMaddie3 on August 20, 2010, 11:38 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Every college should introduce this course!!!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on August 21, 2010, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Asp10_thumb

This rocks.

Posted by Finny on August 21, 2010, 05:05 PM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

i think i’ll be going there when i’m older then;)

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on August 22, 2010, 01:33 PM report to moderator
Elisabeth_and_me___ddb_thumb

I got to Saint Catherine University in Minnesota and we have a Harry Potter English course. In fact I am taking it this fall!! :) I am so excited!!! It discusses the same stuff as this course is going to…

Posted by stkatesgirl on August 22, 2010, 07:44 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

:sigh: if only my college did.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on August 22, 2010, 08:28 PM report to moderator
Elisabeth_and_me___ddb_thumb

Here are two articles that give more information on the English course about Harry Potter at Saint Catherine University in Minnesota.

Posted by stkatesgirl on August 22, 2010, 08:34 PM report to moderator
Mebeingfabulous_thumb

Looks like I know where I’m going to college. :)

Posted by literarynerd on August 29, 2010, 12:57 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m5i3y09wax1rrqi2zo1_500_thumb

No way!! That’s awesome!!! =]
Every school should have this!

Posted by 1нρғαи ~WBM~ on August 29, 2010, 01:03 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"A few of you need to read [i]Wanderings with Werewolves[/i] more carefully -- I clearly state in chapter twelve that my ideal birthday gift would be harmony between all magic and non-magic peoples -- though I wouldn't say no to a large bottle of Ogden's