Durham University to Offer Harry Potter Course Next Year

Education
Posted by: Mel
August 18, 2010, 08:41 PM

BBC News is reporting that Durham University will be offering a course based around Harry Potter, entitled "Harry Potter and the Age of Illusion," starting next year:

The Durham University module uses the works of JK Rowling to examine prejudice, citizenship and bullying in modern society.
...
A university spokesman said: "This module places the Harry Potter novels in their wider social and cultural context.
"A number of themes will be explored, including the world of rituals, prejudice and intolerance in the classroom, bullying, friendship and solidarity and the ideals of and good citizenship."

You can read more here. Thanks to rotfang07 and MuggleQueen for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Education News

Http_3a_2f_2f24

i want a class on hp that would be awesome :-))

Posted by Emmaria on August 19, 2010, 01:54 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

if this trickles down to my college im taking it for sure

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on August 19, 2010, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Img_3044_thumb

I want to get my honors college to have a HP course before I graduate. Students get to pitch ideas for courses, so it may actually happen!

Posted by lptaylor101 on August 19, 2010, 04:43 PM report to moderator

That actually looks like a hard class.

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on August 19, 2010, 05:06 PM report to moderator

I should graduate from college and then go back to school just for this though….:D

Posted by You Know Stew [ROAR!] on August 19, 2010, 05:07 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

This is a fantastic idea! The Harry Potter stories have so much to offer and it is great that someone who has read deep into the series will be showing others and teaching them about the most fantastic amazing series ever!!! I hope that other Universities will be offering this course in the near future!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 19, 2010, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Image

kewl

Posted by magicmaniac on August 19, 2010, 07:25 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_books_thumb

Hmm, I’m not exactly sure what to think of this yet. Of course it would intriguing to basically discuss the Harry Potter books but is it all in excess? Still it does seem rather interesting, very.

Posted by Anna Weasley on August 19, 2010, 08:29 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

The class sounds amazing. It is quite amazing to me the way JKR has touched on so many universal themes in her novels about Harry Potter. She really understands the world she has created, and that world is definitely rooted in ours, with its attendant ills and virtues.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on August 19, 2010, 09:04 PM report to moderator

If some of you don’t learn to spell and write properly, you will never get into college.

Posted by SybilT on August 19, 2010, 09:56 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

cooooollllll!!!! i want to take an HP course in university when i go!!!! i havent heard of this topic before with HP but it still sounds awesome!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on August 19, 2010, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

haha! do you see a class about twilight? noooo….. what does this tell us??

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on August 20, 2010, 10:05 AM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

I actually go to Durham uni and do Education which is offering this course. I really, really wanted to do it but I couldn’t fit it into my timetable. As much as I adore Harry Potter I had to take the modules that would suit my future career. Fingers crossed I can fit it into my timetable for next year as I really want to do it. Martin (who runs the course) said that one of the potential exam question would be “How is Durham like Hogwarts?” I’m starting to think that I should stuff thinking about my future and just enjoy the course. I could always change when we go back in October.

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on August 20, 2010, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

@ Anna Weasley. The course if definitely not just going to be sit down and discuss the books. It is a second year course (which can also be taken by 3rd years) so we have already had a year (or two) at uni. One of the first year modules is History of Education (also taught by Martin who is teaching the HP course). So we can use what we have learnt in that to compare with the world of HP. The books are just going to be a basis which of course means that we will discuss them but it is not just a course on Harry Potter. Other literature such as Tom Brown’s Schooldays will be compared and contrasted. The main issues will be the ideas of prejudice, identity, culture and bullying etc. We will look at HP as one source of these principles. Look at me, I’m saying we as if I’m enrolled on the course. Somehow I can see me switching when I go back after the summer.

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on August 20, 2010, 01:22 PM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

If anyone has any questions on it you could always send me a message and I can try to answer them.

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on August 20, 2010, 01:29 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"...you got, what was it, three O.W.L.s each?" said Ron.[br]"Yep," said Fred unconcernedly. "But we feel our futures lie outside the world of academic achievement."