Durham University to Offer Harry Potter Course Next Year

Education
Posted by: Mel
August 18, 2010, 08:41 PM

BBC News is reporting that Durham University will be offering a course based around Harry Potter, entitled "Harry Potter and the Age of Illusion," starting next year:

The Durham University module uses the works of JK Rowling to examine prejudice, citizenship and bullying in modern society.
...
A university spokesman said: "This module places the Harry Potter novels in their wider social and cultural context.
"A number of themes will be explored, including the world of rituals, prejudice and intolerance in the classroom, bullying, friendship and solidarity and the ideals of and good citizenship."

You can read more here. Thanks to rotfang07 and MuggleQueen for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Education News

Haha awesome! I wonder what course/year…

p.s. Durham is not a school, or a college, it’s a uni! =P

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on August 19, 2010, 03:02 AM report to moderator

Ok just answered my own question by reading the article… Education Studies, random!

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on August 19, 2010, 03:06 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_thumb

Wow, I hope all the colleges would do the same.

Posted by uchihaclan89 on August 19, 2010, 05:29 AM report to moderator

It shows the importance and influence of HP for us. It’s not only about fantasy but has so much more. For me these themes are the main themes why I love HP.

Posted by ginnyshiel on August 19, 2010, 05:32 AM report to moderator
Snapshot_20121213_2_thumb

cool!!!

Posted by Gryffindor_Girl_xx {ROAR!!} on August 19, 2010, 06:41 AM report to moderator
Snapshot_20121213_2_thumb

cool!!!

Snapshot_20121213_2_thumb

cool!!!

Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

Awesome! I wish my university did that too, chemistry isn’t that much different from Potions, looool!

Posted by lollifant on August 19, 2010, 06:49 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

This is fantastic to say the least. Durham Uni is one of the most prestigious in the country – so very hopefully, other institutions will follow suit. I hope that more and more academics realize that you cannot ignore Harry Potter any longer. The series offers an amazing variety of topics to discuss – and the social and cultural approach they are taking at Durham is just the tip of the iceberg. Excellent, excellent ! This bit of news really made my day.

Posted by siena on August 19, 2010, 07:56 AM report to moderator

That is really great! I got to take a Tolkien class in college, that was cool, too!

Posted by Dawna on August 19, 2010, 08:05 AM report to moderator
Foto446_05

Ooooh, if only I was elegible for exchange program… I need to get to 50% fast… I’m not sure we have an arrangement with Durham, though.

Posted by Bell Dema [FTC!!!] on August 19, 2010, 09:29 AM report to moderator

I have now officially decided which university to attend.

Posted by Evagirl on August 19, 2010, 11:06 AM report to moderator
Draco_malfoy_icon

Aww, I sooo wanna go on something like that when I get older, that would be really cool!!:)

Posted by jessyginny on August 19, 2010, 12:15 PM report to moderator
Diagonalley_thumb

so great! would like to attend

Posted by devilskinn on August 19, 2010, 12:52 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Fun! I’ll bet that course fills up fast!

"Longbottom?" repeated Bellatrix, and a truly evil smile lit her gaunt face. "Why, I have had the pleasure of meeting your parents, boy..."[br]"I DOE YOU HAB!" roared Neville, and he fought so hard against his captor's encircling grip that the Death Eater

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014