10 Years of Leaky

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
July 04, 2010, 07:52 AM

It's not often we take this much of Leaky's space and time to celebrate a birthday, but this one is special. Today marks The Leaky Cauldron's 10th anniversary on the Internet.

We appeared online on July 4, 2000: just four days before the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the book. Before the big bestseller split, before the first midnight party. Not many people remember Leaky in its infancy: it was a blue page with orange text, and was testing out a new Web software called Blogger.

Over the years, Leaky has morphed into an international, sprawling database of all things Harry Potter, a "wonderfully well designed mine of accurate information," as noted by J.K. Rowling in her Fan Site Award.

In that time - to name a few of the amazing things that have happened since - Leaky has given tens of thousands of dollars to charity; it has won a Webby; opened the door for Harry Potter fans to report on the films by becoming the first and at the time only site to visit the junket and sets;  it has been reported on three book releases and eight film premieres; it has printed more than 10,000 news articles; it has performed live podcasts in front of tens of thousands of people; it has thrown an epic conference, and it has been given the honor of interviewing J.K. Rowling twice, the most recent being Ms. Rowling's only podcast interview to date.  And so, so, much more.

All of that is great. We're immeasurably grateful and proud. But none of it would have been possible without the hundreds of people who have worked here over the years, and the millions who have used the site. It has truly been a joint adventure for us, and we hope for you, too. Nothing would be possible here were it not for the fantastic group of sharp, funny, intelligent staff and users on this site; it would have been nothing without your input and interaction.

And we are celebrating with that in mind.

Over the next week, Leaky will release three things that celebrate you, the user, and allow you to more fully experience and enjoy Harry Potter through our site. One of them has been coming for a long time: registration will open for LeakyCon, our second Conference of Awesome(™), to take place in Orlando, Florida, next July, the weekend of the release of the last film in the Harry Potter series. (If you missed the first one, watch this video.)

The other two, we'll wait to show you when they are ready.

So… thank you. Thank you for a grand experience, and a grand adventure. Thank you for being here for a decade, or for getting here now. Thank you for all the memories; please use the thread below to relive them, or to just celebrate each other.

Thank you for ten years of Potter. Here's to the next chapter!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

Snc14187_thumb

Thank YOU Leaky and especially you Melissa, for all the good things, all the laughs and all the passion that you put in this website. Congratulations to all the team, keep on with the good work ! We LOVE you all ! Happy birthday and long live to the Leaky Cauldron !

Posted by mrscRed on July 04, 2010, 07:55 PM report to moderator

What’s funny is that I actually came across Leaky not long after its inception—i found it after finishing the fourth book (which I got as soon as it was released.) I even remember the news article I found: it was a press release for a casting call for Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I was twelve, and I remembered being sad that I fit all the parameters to audition for Hermione except that I wasn’t British. I’ve been using Leaky ever since.

As I’m in the middle of the HP nostalgia that the summer always brings, this is a nice article. Long live Leaky, and long live Harry Potter!

Posted by Emms on July 04, 2010, 08:33 PM report to moderator
Harryserioustare_thumb

Beautifully said Mel, there is nothing else to say! That said it all!

Posted by egdillonROAR!!! on July 04, 2010, 08:33 PM report to moderator
I-quote_slytherin0441wicked_visions_thumb

amazing. happy birthday Leaky!

Posted by kbabyy on July 04, 2010, 09:25 PM report to moderator

Happy birthday, Leaky! It’s really wonderful what you awesome people do for the fan community. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for everything you’ve done <3

Posted by Stellar Sound on July 04, 2010, 10:07 PM report to moderator
Me_at_hogwarts_thumb

Happy 10th Birthday! If it werent for this wonderful site full of supportive friendly potterfans, i would have died of depression;(
I owe you guys my life<3

Posted by ProfessorAlice on July 04, 2010, 10:34 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Happy Birthday Leaky! Wow ten years I wish I’d been around for all of them. Congratulations! =D Life just wouldnt be the same without you.<3

Posted by LunaLuver on July 04, 2010, 10:48 PM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

Happy Birthday!

Posted by sidnandragin on July 04, 2010, 10:50 PM report to moderator

Thank you so much Leaky! Best site ever! Happy birthday!

Posted by Sanju on July 04, 2010, 10:53 PM report to moderator
Hp_real_life_thumb

Thank you, Leaky, for everything.

Posted by goldish_red on July 04, 2010, 10:56 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEAKY!!! You’re just awesome. May you have a glorious future

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 04, 2010, 10:59 PM report to moderator
27577_1__thumb

where would we all be without leaky? you guys have done so much for us
i really appreciate everything you do with every post you celebrate the books that changed our lives
so happy birthday and heres to anouther 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Rowling Stones on July 04, 2010, 11:01 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m83svecyzj1qhhlzfo1_500_large_thumb

Wow ten years?! Well Happy birthday Leaky!!!!

Posted by yuelovesirius15 <3Ģяуffỉη∂٥я <3 on July 04, 2010, 11:09 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

I’m proud to say I’ve been with TLC for the past two and a half years, and in that time this site has become something of a virtual home for me. I’m so grateful for all of the amazing people who have worked on the site over its lifetime, and I can’t wait to see what happens next! I’m dying for LeakyCon registration to open, and now I’m dying to see what the other big things are!!!

Posted by RavenclawDancer on July 04, 2010, 11:43 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

Congratulations!! Many happy returns!!

Posted by vespasian68967 on July 05, 2010, 12:04 AM report to moderator

"What are [i]you[/i] doing here anyway?" Harry asked Lucius Malfoy.[br]"I don't think private matters between myself and the Minister are any concern of yours, Potter," said Malfoy, smoothing the front of his robes... "Really, just because you are Dumbled