10 Years of Leaky

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
July 04, 2010, 07:52 AM

It's not often we take this much of Leaky's space and time to celebrate a birthday, but this one is special. Today marks The Leaky Cauldron's 10th anniversary on the Internet.

We appeared online on July 4, 2000: just four days before the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the book. Before the big bestseller split, before the first midnight party. Not many people remember Leaky in its infancy: it was a blue page with orange text, and was testing out a new Web software called Blogger.

Over the years, Leaky has morphed into an international, sprawling database of all things Harry Potter, a "wonderfully well designed mine of accurate information," as noted by J.K. Rowling in her Fan Site Award.

In that time - to name a few of the amazing things that have happened since - Leaky has given tens of thousands of dollars to charity; it has won a Webby; opened the door for Harry Potter fans to report on the films by becoming the first and at the time only site to visit the junket and sets;  it has been reported on three book releases and eight film premieres; it has printed more than 10,000 news articles; it has performed live podcasts in front of tens of thousands of people; it has thrown an epic conference, and it has been given the honor of interviewing J.K. Rowling twice, the most recent being Ms. Rowling's only podcast interview to date.  And so, so, much more.

All of that is great. We're immeasurably grateful and proud. But none of it would have been possible without the hundreds of people who have worked here over the years, and the millions who have used the site. It has truly been a joint adventure for us, and we hope for you, too. Nothing would be possible here were it not for the fantastic group of sharp, funny, intelligent staff and users on this site; it would have been nothing without your input and interaction.

And we are celebrating with that in mind.

Over the next week, Leaky will release three things that celebrate you, the user, and allow you to more fully experience and enjoy Harry Potter through our site. One of them has been coming for a long time: registration will open for LeakyCon, our second Conference of Awesome(™), to take place in Orlando, Florida, next July, the weekend of the release of the last film in the Harry Potter series. (If you missed the first one, watch this video.)

The other two, we'll wait to show you when they are ready.

So… thank you. Thank you for a grand experience, and a grand adventure. Thank you for being here for a decade, or for getting here now. Thank you for all the memories; please use the thread below to relive them, or to just celebrate each other.

Thank you for ten years of Potter. Here's to the next chapter!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

Img_44501_thumb

ten years of awesome! :D i <3 leaky

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on July 04, 2010, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Nerdfighter_defult_thumb

Happy Birthday, Leaky! About a week after you were launched(I was eleven) I began reading the Potter books and you were the first site I found to indulge my new found obsession. Ten years later(I’m twenty one) I still come here everyday for the latest Potter news. Here’s to another ten years of Potter!

Posted by MalfoyIsOurKing on July 04, 2010, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Imagescad1mlxa_thumb

Wow! Congrats Leaky!

Posted by muggle..andproudofit =:) on July 04, 2010, 12:01 PM report to moderator
310_thumb

Happy B’day,Leaky

Posted by Blossom on July 04, 2010, 12:11 PM report to moderator

Happy Birthday! I enjoy the site daily.

Posted by Tammy on July 04, 2010, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Leaky rocks!! Happy birthday,Leaky!!! :-D

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on July 04, 2010, 12:27 PM report to moderator

Happy Birthday to the best site on the net. I hope it has hundreds more just like it.

Posted by Luce {ROAR!} on July 04, 2010, 01:02 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

I started visting Leaky in September of 2005 after reading HBP. I had come to the books through the movies and had finished OOP just a few weeks before HBP was released so no real wait there. It was the anticipation of DH that got me visiting the site daily, listening to the podcasts and getting to know other fans. This enhanced my experience for the release of DH so much, I am forever grateful to everyone on the site for raising my involvement in the fandom to a higher level. So when I read DH for the first time it was truly an event of mythical proportions. Thanks for the last five years! I look forward to the next five!

Posted by realspace on July 04, 2010, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Image

awesome!!!! i agree with all of you!!!!! this is my first year!!! and im proud to be a part of this awesomeness

Posted by magicmaniac on July 04, 2010, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Pumpkinsmall_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky. I can’t believe I’ve been visiitng this site almost every day for 10 years now! I remember the frist time I found it back in 2000 and how I was so psyched to see that other people loved HP as much as me!

Posted by marypao on July 04, 2010, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Filmsdhpromotionalpart1_thumb

I really enjoy this site. Keep it up

Posted by sheritips on July 04, 2010, 01:11 PM report to moderator

Happy Birthday and Many Thanks!!!

Posted by Dumblebridge on July 04, 2010, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Myleaky2_c_thumb

Ten years of unadulterated awesome.

Happy anniversary, Leaky!

Posted by Bandersnatch on July 04, 2010, 01:17 PM report to moderator

Congratulations to Leaky staff. Amazing job. May you have another successful 10 years, assuming you want them of course!!!! Who knows, in 10 years time, JKR may decide to write about Albus? Then this whole outbreak of bloomin’ bonkers’ness can start all over again?!

Posted by rotfang07 on July 04, 2010, 01:21 PM report to moderator

Cheers Leaky! I raise my glass of butterbeer to you! Happy 10th Birthday! Thank you for being a lodestone of community. Thank you for sticking to accuracy in your reporting. And thank you for being there to support the fandom. Here is to 10 more years or more! If Disney can do it so can Jo Rowling!

Posted by oddbit on July 04, 2010, 01:25 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

They went out of their way to march ahead of Harry down the corridors, shouting, "Make way for the Heir of Slytherin, seriously evil wizard coming through...."