10 Years of Leaky

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
July 04, 2010, 07:52 AM

It's not often we take this much of Leaky's space and time to celebrate a birthday, but this one is special. Today marks The Leaky Cauldron's 10th anniversary on the Internet.

We appeared online on July 4, 2000: just four days before the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the book. Before the big bestseller split, before the first midnight party. Not many people remember Leaky in its infancy: it was a blue page with orange text, and was testing out a new Web software called Blogger.

Over the years, Leaky has morphed into an international, sprawling database of all things Harry Potter, a "wonderfully well designed mine of accurate information," as noted by J.K. Rowling in her Fan Site Award.

In that time - to name a few of the amazing things that have happened since - Leaky has given tens of thousands of dollars to charity; it has won a Webby; opened the door for Harry Potter fans to report on the films by becoming the first and at the time only site to visit the junket and sets;  it has been reported on three book releases and eight film premieres; it has printed more than 10,000 news articles; it has performed live podcasts in front of tens of thousands of people; it has thrown an epic conference, and it has been given the honor of interviewing J.K. Rowling twice, the most recent being Ms. Rowling's only podcast interview to date.  And so, so, much more.

All of that is great. We're immeasurably grateful and proud. But none of it would have been possible without the hundreds of people who have worked here over the years, and the millions who have used the site. It has truly been a joint adventure for us, and we hope for you, too. Nothing would be possible here were it not for the fantastic group of sharp, funny, intelligent staff and users on this site; it would have been nothing without your input and interaction.

And we are celebrating with that in mind.

Over the next week, Leaky will release three things that celebrate you, the user, and allow you to more fully experience and enjoy Harry Potter through our site. One of them has been coming for a long time: registration will open for LeakyCon, our second Conference of Awesome(™), to take place in Orlando, Florida, next July, the weekend of the release of the last film in the Harry Potter series. (If you missed the first one, watch this video.)

The other two, we'll wait to show you when they are ready.

So… thank you. Thank you for a grand experience, and a grand adventure. Thank you for being here for a decade, or for getting here now. Thank you for all the memories; please use the thread below to relive them, or to just celebrate each other.

Thank you for ten years of Potter. Here's to the next chapter!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

woo, happy birthday leaky! :) :)

Posted by g-g-gena; wbm! on July 04, 2010, 10:59 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky!! Hoping there will be another 10 years!!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on July 04, 2010, 10:59 AM report to moderator

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are the ONE and ONLY source for HP! <3<3<3<3<3

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 04, 2010, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Bellebooks5sem10_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky! I can’t believe how different the site is from its beginning.

Posted by Lady Herdermort on July 04, 2010, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Dscn0187_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky! I’ve been following Harry Potter with you since high school (graduated 2003) and you were one of the few things that kept me sane in college. Here’s to many many more birthdays.

Posted by Laura Keaton [WBM!] on July 04, 2010, 11:19 AM report to moderator
05230215470101_thumb

What a happy, happy day! :) Congratulations Leaky, on 10 years… and hopefully many more to come! :D We are NOT over as a fandom yet, not even close.

As for LeakyCon… WHOOOOOO!!! Sooo excited!!! Oh, good gracious I can’t wait! :D

Posted by Gryffipuff! on July 04, 2010, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Th_th03_1__thumb

This site really has brought me into the fandom more. Thanks for much Leaky :)

Posted by ღ Courtney {R0aR} ღ on July 04, 2010, 11:25 AM report to moderator
Teamcedric_thumb

Happy birthday, Leaky! I found you just before HBP the book came out (basically 5 months into my fandom). I went back every day because there were new articles every single day. I anticipated the reports from Melissa and Emerson even though I had no idea who they were. Because of Leaky, my experience as a Potter fan has been that much more special.

Posted by pottertheory on July 04, 2010, 11:34 AM report to moderator
Luna_sam_thumb

Happy happy birthday, Leaky! You’re great! ♥

Posted by nargles, oh my! on July 04, 2010, 11:39 AM report to moderator
Arithmegic_logo_thumb

Woozelmom said it so well. Thanks to everyone at Leaky for all your efforts to keep the fans informed, entertained, and up to date on all things Harry ……………..Happy Birthday, Leaky, and many, many more!!!………….
Hurray and Congratulations Leaky!!! This is the one website I visit daily. The one thing that I admire the most is your sense of honesty and fair play. I know that I will get only the truth here. I admired the way that you always supported JKR and the fans right to an unspoiled reading experience during the weeks up to a book release. Way to go Leaky here’s to another 10 years!!!!
Posted by Woozelmom on July 04, 2010, 09:59 AM

Posted by Professor M on July 04, 2010, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Princess_ariel_thumb

Happy Birthday to the best Harry Potter website :)

Posted by Ariel on July 04, 2010, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Bookworm_thumb

Thank YOU, Leaky – Melissa and everyone who works so hard to make this site so special. The friends I’ve made through Leaky (mainly by hanging out over at the poll comments – another thank you for allowing us to go a bit crazy over there!) have become some of the most important people in my life. It feels like I’ve been coming here forever, but I now realize it’s actually only been just over 4 years…they’ve been an amazing 4 years though. LeakyCon ’09 was definitely one of the best experiences I’ve ever had, and I’m looking forward to LC2011 more than I can say. I’m also eager to learn what the other two surprises are; this is going to be a fun week! Happy Anniversary, Leaky!

Posted by Bookworm Jen on July 04, 2010, 11:41 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

Happy birthday Leaky partay
Wow … ten years, that is really something. Thank you Leaky for giving my life purpose lol. Seriously, Leaky is awesome (and, I’m using that word sparingly now since JKRs letter to the HPA)
Here’s hoping that the next ten years are just as awesome :)

Posted by Moose_Starr on July 04, 2010, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

Happy birthday Leaky!!! I only joined a few months ago but I’ve been checking out the news for a few years. Keep up the good work and here is to many years to come lifts up virtual glass of champagne cheers

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on July 04, 2010, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Slime-optomised_thumb

Congratulations Leaky, I remember back about 9 years ago. Here’s to another 10 years.

I look forward to meeting you all at Leakycon 2011.

Posted by clawtooth35 on July 04, 2010, 11:55 AM report to moderator

"I shall speak to Professor Dumbledore and see if we can't bend the first-year rule. Heaven knows, we need a better team than last year. [i]Flattened[/i] in that last match by Slytherin, I couldn't look Severus Snape in the face for weeks..."