10 Years of Leaky

Leaky
Posted by: Melissa
July 04, 2010, 07:52 AM

It's not often we take this much of Leaky's space and time to celebrate a birthday, but this one is special. Today marks The Leaky Cauldron's 10th anniversary on the Internet.

We appeared online on July 4, 2000: just four days before the release of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the book. Before the big bestseller split, before the first midnight party. Not many people remember Leaky in its infancy: it was a blue page with orange text, and was testing out a new Web software called Blogger.

Over the years, Leaky has morphed into an international, sprawling database of all things Harry Potter, a "wonderfully well designed mine of accurate information," as noted by J.K. Rowling in her Fan Site Award.

In that time - to name a few of the amazing things that have happened since - Leaky has given tens of thousands of dollars to charity; it has won a Webby; opened the door for Harry Potter fans to report on the films by becoming the first and at the time only site to visit the junket and sets;  it has been reported on three book releases and eight film premieres; it has printed more than 10,000 news articles; it has performed live podcasts in front of tens of thousands of people; it has thrown an epic conference, and it has been given the honor of interviewing J.K. Rowling twice, the most recent being Ms. Rowling's only podcast interview to date.  And so, so, much more.

All of that is great. We're immeasurably grateful and proud. But none of it would have been possible without the hundreds of people who have worked here over the years, and the millions who have used the site. It has truly been a joint adventure for us, and we hope for you, too. Nothing would be possible here were it not for the fantastic group of sharp, funny, intelligent staff and users on this site; it would have been nothing without your input and interaction.

And we are celebrating with that in mind.

Over the next week, Leaky will release three things that celebrate you, the user, and allow you to more fully experience and enjoy Harry Potter through our site. One of them has been coming for a long time: registration will open for LeakyCon, our second Conference of Awesome(™), to take place in Orlando, Florida, next July, the weekend of the release of the last film in the Harry Potter series. (If you missed the first one, watch this video.)

The other two, we'll wait to show you when they are ready.

So… thank you. Thank you for a grand experience, and a grand adventure. Thank you for being here for a decade, or for getting here now. Thank you for all the memories; please use the thread below to relive them, or to just celebrate each other.

Thank you for ten years of Potter. Here's to the next chapter!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Leaky News

N576625453_6111621_3673150_thumb

Happy birthday Leaky! Always there, always interesting, always funny :D Thankyou Leaky!

Posted by readthroughthenight on July 07, 2010, 07:57 PM report to moderator

Happy Birthday Leaky!!!! :) I can’t believe how fast time as gone by. Seems like only yesterday we were all waiting for OotP.

Posted by Muggle Mommy on July 07, 2010, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

WOW! Congratulations and happy birthday Leaky! I have only been on Leaky a few years, but what a brilliant few years they have been! Leaky is the best Harry Potter site and I really enjoy logging in and looking at all the wonderful, well reported news. Thanks so much, here’s to the next 10 years! =D

Transmt94_thumb

Wow 10 years, now I’m feeling old… But a very Happy Birthday to the best HP website period!!!

Posted by Ecrof G on July 09, 2010, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Me_desirable_1_thumb

Happy Birthday Leaky!!! Love you Leaky, and all the fantastic staff behind it! You’re all amazing!!

Posted by paul_hp_fan [OoM2] *ROAR* on July 09, 2010, 01:40 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

I was here at the five-year anniversary. Wild!

<3 to Leaky and to everyone who has ever worked on it. I don’t know what I would do without it and I’m super excited to see how it changes in the future. Happy birthday! :D

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on July 09, 2010, 06:21 PM report to moderator
Asp10_thumb

Wow. Ten years. I’ve been here for a fourth of them, and have only just begun to join the community itself. Here’s to ten more!

Posted by Finny on July 10, 2010, 10:30 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Wow Happy Birthday Leaky!!! :)

Posted by da_member0808 on July 10, 2010, 11:01 PM report to moderator
Kc_lucius1_thumb

Congratulations on 10 years! Only wish I would have joined sooner.

Posted by KC Nox on July 17, 2010, 04:09 AM report to moderator

lol i just joined, i am only 10years late :)
congrats!

Posted by Wandlore Kid on July 18, 2010, 08:25 AM report to moderator
Noavatar-normal_thumb

Congrats everyone! i only just started this year, i think it was February, but man if i had known about Leaky earlier i would have started much earlier. Still, 10 years is amazing congrats!

Posted by stregs12 on July 19, 2010, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

Where would I be without you all? I never had many friends, but making friends online somehow gave me confidence. You all have given me confidence, friends, laughter, and everything I ever needed to know about Harry potter. I love you, and wish you many more happy years to come.

Damn_my_beauty____thumb

I can’t believe I’ve only been on Leaky for 34 minutes; I should’ve been here all along!

Posted by Gryffinclaw8997 [ROAR!] on July 23, 2010, 04:46 AM report to moderator

How I wish I have been there from the start. Anyway lets make the most out of it. Proud to be a member. Can’t wait fro the new Harry Potter movie. Maybe we can see it online at this site www.harrypottersagamovies.com

Posted by HarryPotterSagaMovies on July 24, 2010, 06:23 AM report to moderator
16_thumb

shame I just joined a few months ago! anyway! happy 10th year leaky

Posted by potterhead21 on July 24, 2010, 06:45 AM report to moderator

It was clear that as far as he was concerned, any man who could look at Harry and say "excellent" was a man with whom he could never see eye to eye.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014