Twelve Page Personal Horoscope Hand Drawn by JKR For Sale

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 30, 2010, 07:18 PM

The Scotsman is tonight reporting that a rare and unpublished "hand drawn, personal horoscope and natal chart" created by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is being offered for sale for £25,000 through high end memorabilia specialists Paul Fraser Collectibles. Rowling reportedly drew the item for Jack David Buchanan after his birth in 1994 after attending baby classes alongside the boy's parents.

According to the Scottish newspaper, the item "comprises 12 loose pages in a plastic folder" with a cover illustration that "depicts the chart's key astrological symbols of the sun, fishes and a lion in pen, ink and coloured pencil laid down on bright blue coloured card."

The article additionally details the boy's horoscope:
    She wrote: "Born the cusp of Aquarius and Pisces. He will enjoy school, perhaps be accident-prone, (like all Pisces) could be prone to alcoholism, and (perhaps like us all) may well fall in love with someone totally incompatible."
    The chart apparently suggests that the boy will have great literary talent stating "the planet of fantasy and imagination meets a sign frequently associated with bookishness."
    Rowling wonders whether his "ability to weave a good yarn" could perhaps bring fame and fortune, before deciding that becoming a film director would better suit his talents.
    Apparently wishing for some small slice of fame for herself, Rowling wonders if the boy would perhaps at least mention her in his Oscar acceptance speech.
    "This peculiar woman my mother knows predicted I would be standing before you today ... of course, my parents laughed at the time," she wrote.
A spokeswoman for Paul Fraser Collectibles notes that unpublished illustrations and writings by Rowling "offer a wonderful insight into the creative mind behind Harry Potter" and "a fascinating example of Rowling's prose."

Many thanks, Rosi!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

I am always getting good information from here. Thanks for share all these.

Regards
Harry

Posted by navseo on July 31, 2010, 01:30 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Cool! :) Good luck to whoever goes for it!

Mad-eye-moody_thumb

I agree with everyone that if JKR had done a personalised horoscope for me/my child, I so would not be selling it, even if I was desperate. I think it’s sad that somebody is cashing in on something that is truly special, but that’s the world we live in =(

Posted by eccentricalice on July 31, 2010, 04:26 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Hope the money is used for a good cause. Go on JO

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 31, 2010, 04:43 AM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I’m not religious, but “judge not lest ye be judged”. The family should take high-resolution pictures of it as a memento (even print a copy) and sell the original if its going to be work a lot of $$$ to a collector. These people may not be wealthy, and this kid is now heading to college / university, so this money may allow the kid his choice of the best school etc. I can only imagine that Jo would approve if the money went toward his education or something similar.

Posted by Caracticus on July 31, 2010, 05:30 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

This may be one for JKR’s rumor bin. I’ll believe it when I hear it from her.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JK ROWLING AND HARRY POTTER!!! JKR I hope you’re enjoying today with your family. Harry Potter you’ve brightened up my life.

Posted by molly43 on July 31, 2010, 05:44 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

That nices!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 31, 2010, 05:51 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I saw this chart once on ‘Antiques Roadshow’, when the owners brought it to show the experts. It looked a fine piece of drawing – I was impressed all over again by Jo’s talents! I hope the British Library or some other public collection will bid for it, so perhaps some of us will be able to have a look at it.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 31, 2010, 09:22 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I would NEVER sell that!!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on July 31, 2010, 09:48 AM report to moderator
Dh-3_thumb

A nice one again comes from JK Rowling’s Extraordinary thoughts!!!

Posted by HermioneDreams on July 31, 2010, 10:00 AM report to moderator

@PaintTheSky, I don’t argue that legally this family is entitled to do this. I just can’t help thinking it’s a horrible thing to do, especially since it forces Jo to have to deal with this kind of speculation on her birthday. (And of course, if they asked her and she said yes and so forth, ignore all of the above. I have a kind of tendency to jump to the worse conclusion, but I also think it’s more likely in this case.)
@Caracticus, I hadn’t even thought of it that way, but… wow, that makes it difficult. If they ARE selling it for the boy’s benefit, especially if it’s so he can pay for college, I still disagree with them (my reason being that you just don’t sell things that personal, no matter how high-profile the author is), but I can understand their reason and can’t begrudge them for it. For now though, we don’t know anything.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jo and Harry!

Posted by Libby on July 31, 2010, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

How lame is that to sell something that JK freaking rowling handmade and gifted to you

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on July 31, 2010, 11:50 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Don’t sell it!! It’s special!!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on July 31, 2010, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Penguin_thumb

I saw an episode of Antiques Roadshow with another present (a mini book) she had created for someone in her baby lessons. I can’t remember what they valued it at but the couple said that they could never bring themselves to sell it. It’s slightly sad that this couple didn’t hold their present in such high esteem but as PaintTheSky said they have the right to do whatever they want with it. I certainly would never be able to bring myself to sell something quite so special!!

Posted by Luna Creevey on July 31, 2010, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Chopin_noc_muzeow_thumb

@Caracticus, I agree with you on this. We shouldn’t judge this family because we simply don’t know enough about their situation. They could be facing a very dire time in their life, and if they are faced with the choice between selling this possession and financial hardship then I think it would be wise to reserve judgement. Of course, I could be wrong (and often am), and in that case I’d have to take all of this back, but until then I think even Jo would agree that family has to come first.

Posted by Dr_Longbottom on July 31, 2010, 12:54 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"How long have you been 'Big D' then?" said Harry.[br] "Shut it," snarled Dudley, turning away again.[br] "Cool name," said Harry, grinning and falling into step beside his cousin. "But you'll always be Ickle Diddykins to me."