Dan Radcliffe Apologizes For Not Being at Comic-Con

Radcliffe
Posted by: Mel
July 27, 2010, 04:39 AM

In a new interview with Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) the actor expressed his regret for not attending this weekend's Comic-Con:

"I apologize to all the wishful thinkers for my disappointing non-presence," Radcliffe said Monday by phone from London.
The actor, who has finished some post-production voice work on the last "Potter" film, says he is still grappling a bit with the concept that he will never wear the robes of Hogwarts on screen again. He still cares deeply about "Potter" fans, though -- he sounded genuinely distressed to hear for the first time about the wildfire rumors that led fans to believe he would be at the San Diego pop-culture expo that wrapped up on Sunday.
"Really? Oh, God, I had no idea. I suppose it's like when I'm at Reading Festival and I hear that suddenly some amazing band is going to play a surprise gig and then it turns out to be total fiction."
Later in the article he also discusses a comment Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) made at Comic-Con about how he cried on the last day of shooting:

"You know what, I'd love to libel him and call it a lie, but, darn, he's absolutely right. We all three of us -- me, Rupert and Emma -- we just wept. And I've never seen Rupert Grint cry. That was really weird."

You can read more here. You can download Leaky and Mugglenet's joint coverage of the Harry Potter Comic-Con panel at our iTunes feed, or directly download it here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

My_hero_neville_thumb

@Wickedloz, I’m with you. He referred to upset fans as “the wishful thinkers”. That seems like more than a hint of sarcasm to me. Sounds like he had a very happy birthday in St. Petersburg!!!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on July 28, 2010, 11:22 AM report to moderator

Sarcasm at it’s finest! But it seems to have gone over most people’s heads! Really, the people who thought he was going to be there should be ashamed!

Posted by lazykitty on July 28, 2010, 12:54 PM report to moderator
Without_you__snape_face_shot__copy_thumb

It would have been cool of he was at Comic-Con. But I knew he wasn’t going to be there. And even if he was, I probably wouldn’t have gotten an autograph anyway. But, it would have been cool just to be in the same place at the same time as him. Though I did see Darren Criss, he was only feet away from me! Took a picture of him, but not “with” him. :(

Posted by Questyourdreams on July 28, 2010, 03:18 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

That’s all right, Dan, I didn’t make it to Comic Con either. :)

Posted by vespasian68967 on July 28, 2010, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

dang dude i bet they cried.
they lived potter in a way none of us ever can

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on July 29, 2010, 12:32 AM report to moderator

I cant believe it will be over soon. I will be depressed for weeks!!!

Posted by doughboy6390 on July 29, 2010, 12:40 AM report to moderator

Just chiming in with my thoughts, and maybe explaining a few things to those who don’t know much about Comic-Con. Dan was a total gentlemen for admitting he couldn’t be at the Comic-Con panel, and totally within his rights to do so. However, I don’t think it was necessarily a sarcastic remark on his part…if anything, it was more typical dry English humor (which isn’t quite the same as sarcasm). Comic-Con is not just some random convention held in “some other country”, as one poster put it. It’s held in America, yes, but it’s basically THE worldwide event for the major movie studios, television networks, and comic companies to roll out their new projects and get the buzz going. It’s been around for decades and has grown into a huge yearly event. If there’s a big sci-fi, fantasy, or action epic on the horizon, it comes to Comic-Con, usually with its directors, producers, and entire casts in tow. If they can’t attend, stars usually make some sort of pre-recorded statement to be shown at the convention (Johnny Depp made an appearance as Captain Jack promoting the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie, for instance). After the huge box-office success of the Spider-Man movies, the X-Men movies, the Batman films (especially The Dark Knight), and also the more fantasy-based films like Lord of the Rings and the Potter films, most industry-insiders know that Comic-Con is pure gold for advertising your film, and many times exclusive footage is shown at the convention that isn’t shown anywhere else (like what Melissa Anelli saw). So it really isn’t something to dismiss so easily.

Posted by critterfur on July 29, 2010, 03:15 AM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

I think the Reading fest metaphore’s a bit stuck up but hey.

Posted by VoodooPadfoot - {WBM} on July 29, 2010, 06:46 AM report to moderator

"But, dear, if he got lost, how would we ever explain to his aunt and uncle?"[br]"They wouldn't mind," Harry reassured her. "Dudley would think it was a brilliant joke if I got lost up a chimney, don't worry about that --"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014