Matthew Lewis Talks About Neville in "Deathly Hallows"

Lewis
Posted by: Mel
July 21, 2010, 09:31 PM

In a new interview, Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) discusses the physical changes his character goes through in "Deathly Hallows":

"The teeth and the ears were the first to go, and then the fatsuit came shortly after - I look a lot more like him in the new film," he revealed.
"I didn't mind wearing all those things because it was appropriate for the character. He's been a bit more bloody and battered as he's been living underground so we've made him slim out."
The article also goes on to discuss how Lewis feels Neville has changed over the course of the movies:

"Having started when I was 11 years old, Neville was shy and vulnerable, who was pushed around, bullied and was very nervous.
"Over the years, he has more depth and can stand up more for himself. In the seventh one, he's almost a completely changed man. He's a reckless resistance leader who wants to go and fight, and do the right thing. He's become more heroic, he's got heart, courage and loyalty. He's still not perfect, but he comes through where it counts."

You can read more here. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" comes out November 19th, and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will be out July 15th, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

I’ve always loved the characterof Neville and Matt has brought him to life so well over the years. I’m really looking forward to seeing him in Deathly Hallows and so hoping the writers stick to the book in his case and don’t take anything away from him – that would be a tragedy.

Posted by Xyra44 on July 23, 2010, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I can’t wait to see Matt playing Neville in DH! Matt is a marvelous actor and deserves more screen time. :D

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 23, 2010, 07:22 PM report to moderator
Asp10_thumb

sigh Matt, you are lovely.

Posted by Finny on July 23, 2010, 07:42 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_books_thumb

I’m not surprised at all that Neville had to undergo some physical changes and it would be counter-productive to have same timid chubby kid from the first movie chopping off a snake’s head in the third.
PS is it me or is Matt a cutie? Love the black and white pic on top.

Posted by Anna Weasley on July 24, 2010, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_books_thumb

PS is it me or is Matt a cutie? Love the black and white pic on top.

Posted by Anna Weasley on July 24, 2010, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_books_thumb

PS is it me or is Matt a cutie? Love the black and white pic on top.

Posted by Anna Weasley on July 24, 2010, 01:34 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

Matt’s description of the changes in Neville is exactly the reason Neville is one of my favorite characters. I love the way JKR starts him out as bumbling, someone who is easily dismissed by other students and even the teachers and turns him into a young man who is confident and a leader, with all the right motives.

Posted by Eeyore on July 25, 2010, 04:52 AM report to moderator
Kissa_thumb

Neville rocks!

Posted by hanname on July 25, 2010, 10:19 AM report to moderator
2640_1106109818241_1391663961_305047_8301715_n_thumb

Go Neville!!!

Posted by hrslvr529 on July 25, 2010, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Can’t wait to see Matt in these last two movies finally! not just be a background actor.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on July 25, 2010, 08:47 PM report to moderator

Matt does fit the description of “you’ve come a long way baby!” Is it just me or does he get better looking by the year? Go Matt!!!!!

Posted by hewy on August 03, 2010, 11:14 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Neville was turning steadily more purple in the face while tugging at Crabbe's arms, and Hermione was attempting vainly to throw Millicent Bulstrode off her. Luna, however, stood limply by the side of her captor, gazing vaguely out of the window as though