Matthew Lewis Talks About Neville in "Deathly Hallows"

Lewis
Posted by: Mel
July 21, 2010, 09:31 PM

In a new interview, Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) discusses the physical changes his character goes through in "Deathly Hallows":

"The teeth and the ears were the first to go, and then the fatsuit came shortly after - I look a lot more like him in the new film," he revealed.
"I didn't mind wearing all those things because it was appropriate for the character. He's been a bit more bloody and battered as he's been living underground so we've made him slim out."
The article also goes on to discuss how Lewis feels Neville has changed over the course of the movies:

"Having started when I was 11 years old, Neville was shy and vulnerable, who was pushed around, bullied and was very nervous.
"Over the years, he has more depth and can stand up more for himself. In the seventh one, he's almost a completely changed man. He's a reckless resistance leader who wants to go and fight, and do the right thing. He's become more heroic, he's got heart, courage and loyalty. He's still not perfect, but he comes through where it counts."

You can read more here. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" comes out November 19th, and "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will be out July 15th, 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I knew that Neville would looking exactly like Matt Lewis in real life… that’s how he ends up with Hannah Abbot.

Posted by Caracticus on July 21, 2010, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Squee! I am so excited to see Neville ROCK THE HOUSE in Deathly Hallows, though it sucks that we probably won’t see much of him until Part 2. Anyway, yay Matt! I’m so glad he gets to finally shed the fat suit. That must’ve been horrible.

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on July 21, 2010, 10:02 PM report to moderator
Chang_thumb

I never knew that Matt has to wear fat suit and special ears and teeth to look more like the Neville in the book. That must be so strange for him. And I am glad that now he can shine. I really like the Neville in Book 7. But to see the transformation, from Book 1 to Book 7, that was amazing.

Posted by winky45 on July 21, 2010, 10:35 PM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

I’m so glad they let him look more like himself for DH, I’ve always loved Neville/Matt and can’t wait to see him chop off Nagini’s head! Go, Neville!

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on July 21, 2010, 11:14 PM report to moderator

I agree with you Headmistress LemonFaerie, it’s going to be so cool to see Neville finish that creepy snake

Posted by doughboy6390 on July 21, 2010, 11:26 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I Love Neville!!!!

I hope he gets to kill Nagini in DH!!!

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on July 21, 2010, 11:42 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

Matt is so awesome! I can’t wait to see him in DH standing up to Voldemort in front of all the Death Eaters and everyone at Hogwarts…. SO EXCITED!!! :D

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on July 21, 2010, 11:43 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

woo go matt

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on July 22, 2010, 12:16 AM report to moderator

Neville and Harry are both of my favorite characters

Posted by Edward Zonum on July 22, 2010, 01:09 AM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

I love Neville! I told everyone for years that he would cause the turning point in the war and when the 7th book came out I felt totally Vindicated! Go Neville!

BTW If they cut out the scene of him destroying Naginni I may throw a temper tantrum in the theatre :P

Posted by joeys_mommy on July 22, 2010, 01:13 AM report to moderator

Great to hear, that they’ve made Neville the strong character he is in DH.

Posted by Evagirl on July 22, 2010, 04:32 AM report to moderator
Mad-eye-moody_thumb

Oh, I love Neville, and it’s good that he’s losing the fatsuit and the comedy ears and teeth, he’s going to be all growed up! Agree with all the people who can’t wait to see him slay Nagini!

Posted by eccentricalice on July 22, 2010, 06:27 AM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

I can’t wait to see Matt shine in DH. He’s been in the background pretty much throughout all the films but near the end of DH all eyes will be on him.

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on July 22, 2010, 07:36 AM report to moderator

Glad to see Matt playing Neville with all his potential. He is the other boy from the prophecy, after all!

Posted by Dawna on July 22, 2010, 08:30 AM report to moderator
Nagini1_normal_thumb

Great interview, thank you for sharing. Very interesting to learn how Neville has changed throughout the course of the series, he definitely turned into a hero when it was needed. Can’t wait to see him in action leading the Hogwarts resistance against the Carrows, and then defeat Nagini with the sword of Gryffindor. These are bound to be highlights of the two-parter.

Posted by Slytherins on July 22, 2010, 08:31 AM report to moderator

"He's a sort of servant, isn't he?"[br]"He's the gamekeeper," said Harry. He was liking the boy less and less every second.[br] "Yes, exactly. I heard he's a sort of [br][i]savage[/i] -- lives in a hut on the school grounds and every now and then he ge