Harry Potter Cast Talk Film Inspirations to FILMCLUB

Actor Interviews
Posted by: Rosi
July 02, 2010, 03:31 PM

Tom Felton, (Draco Malfoy), James Phelps (Fred Weasley) and Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley) were among the numerous Harry Potter actors to speak to FILMCLUB about their film inspirations as part of the Film Journeys campaign. FILMCLUB provides free weekly film screenings at the after school film clubs of over 4,650 schools across the UK and the campaign invites young people to "discover films that they would not necessarily watch".

James Phelps names 1994 release "Forrest Gump" as the film that gave him the greatest interest in acting as he was growing up. "It has always been my favourite film for many reasons; there is no bad guy and the story went into real events in history," says Phelps, "[plus] Tom Hanks is a great actor, which makes it all so believable."

Tom Felton, meanwhile, cites "Robin Hood" and the James Bond films as his childhood inspiration; Bonnie Wright goes so far as to describe "A Little Princess" as "[the] film that changed my life."

FILMCLUB additionally spoke to Lucius Malfoy actor Jason Isaacs who talked about the "overwhelming" experience of watching MGM classic "The Wizard of Oz," describing it as "awash with colours and music and extraordinary looking people." A video of the Harry Potter actors talking about films that inspired them can now be found on YouTube via this link.

In related news, FILMCLUB also have a number of videos featuring Harry Potter actors on their YouTube channel. Tom Felton recently took part in a live webcast with FILMCLUB, which you can find at this link. The channel also has a very brief interview Professor Trelawney actress Emma Thompson at the premiere for her recently released film, "Nanny MacPhee and the Big Bang," which can be watched here.

As you may remember, Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) and John Hurt (Mr. Ollivander) have all previously voiced their support for the initiative. Find out more information about the FILMCLUB after school scheme on their website and watch more videos in which Harry Potter actors star on FILMCLUB's YouTube channel via this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Actor Interviews News

Upclose_of_me_thumb

FIRST!! :) Love to see the cast’s support on this.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 02, 2010, 05:13 PM report to moderator

Amazing to see some of the choices for inspiration from these actors. All seem to have diverse tastes in film. Good interviews!!

Posted by hewy on July 02, 2010, 05:13 PM report to moderator

That is sooo great!!!! LOL, Tom Felton and James Bond… ;)

Posted by WhyAllTheGlitterâ„¢ on July 02, 2010, 06:07 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Yay!! Forrest Gump and James Bond!!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on July 03, 2010, 03:10 AM report to moderator
186087_1721944089_7979824_n_thumb

Wow! cast’s support, aww. you three are so kind :)

Posted by blessi on July 03, 2010, 04:23 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

forrest gump ftw

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on July 03, 2010, 06:40 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

They have an interesting selection of movies! My inspiration during Drama class are the HP movies!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on July 03, 2010, 11:27 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I’m actually not the biggest fan of Forrest Gump

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 04, 2010, 09:42 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I didn’t care for ‘Forrest Gump’ either – I don’t usually go for what strikes me as hokey, cheesy sentimentality. For instance, I can’t stand movies where the heroine takes several hours of screentime to waste away and die from some tragic ailment that never leaves her with a hair out of place or her makeup smudgy, while she’s patching things up with her estranged parent or whomever. (On the other hand, I suppose that there are films that really do get to me that would strike some other folks as hokey and cheesy – I’m pretty prone to crying in the movies, but sometimes I walk out of the theatre feeling annoyed at being manipulated instead of genuinely moved.) But whatever floats your boat…it is interesting to hear what influenced others to go into acting.

By the way, this is going to offend all his fangirls, but has anyone else besides me noticed that Tom Felton looks kinda like Stan Laurel when he grins, with that long chin of his? I wonder if he has it in him to do comedy.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on July 04, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Never saw Forest Gump

Posted by IloveDobby on July 04, 2010, 02:58 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

I do agree with Bonnie Wright; A Little Princess is a great for young girls. I love it myself as a child.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on July 05, 2010, 10:51 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

it is pretty wonderful of all these actors to get out and support FILMCLUB and also to see the value in "children’s"’ Movies. I hope we get a chance to see Nanny mcPhee over here. Emma Thonpson looked great in that dress, and I liked the way she talked to people in the crowd.

Posted by Fresca ROAR on July 06, 2010, 11:04 AM report to moderator
Gryffcutie_thumb

I remember when Forrest Gump came out. That movie was revolutionary because of the film technique of adding Tom Hanks in old, archive footing of actual political events. I had never seen that done before. I loved that movie.

Posted by Gryffindor Cutie on July 06, 2010, 11:57 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Did you see me disarm Hermione, Harry?"[br]"Only once," said Hermione, stung. "I got you loads more than you got me --"[br]"I did not only get you once, I got you at least three times --"[br]"Well, if you're counting the one where you tripped over your o