Confirmed: Dan Radcliffe to Star as Arthur Kipps in "The Woman in Black" (Updated)

Radcliffe
Posted by: Rosi
July 19, 2010, 01:05 PM

Update: A number of casting rumours had surfaced over the weekend that Dan Radcliffe would be starring in a 2011 film adaptation of The Woman in Black. We can now report that this rumour is actually true, thanks to our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com who obtained confirmation from an official press release at HeyUGuys.co.uk. Producer Simon Oakes is quoted saying he can think of "no better actor to play the role of Arthur Kipps" than Daniel Radcliffe. Director James Watkins also spoke about the Harry Potter actor:

“’When I met Dan, it was quite uncanny how closely our thoughts on the story mirrored each other: I can’t wait to get down to work with him to fashion a compelling character and a classy ghost story that tugs at the heart and chills to the bone,” says James Watkins.

Radcliffe himself described Jane Goldman's script as "beautifully written - both tender and terrifying in equal measure" and said that he was "incredibly excited" to be a part of the film. According to the press release, production on "The Woman in Black" is due to begin this autumn. The film is produced by Simon Oakes for Exclusive Media Group's Hammer Films label and Richard Jackson at Talisman Films.

Arthur Kipps is a young lawyer who glimpses a woman dressed entirely in black as he works in the isolated home of a recently deceased client. A stage play adaptation of the thriller has been running in London's West End since 1989.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Dan always chooses great and different proyects, it’s admirable, I look foward to watching it!!

Posted by ethanHP on July 20, 2010, 06:24 AM report to moderator

I think this is an awesome project to be involved in and I really can’t wait to see it. I don’t think he’ll have a problem fitting it into his schedule before How to Succeed, because it will probably be quite a short filming period.

I don’t know why some people find it hard to imagine Dan as other than Harry. The fact that Dan looks so completely different without glasses helps prevent that problem, also he is totally different from Harry in himself. I saw Equus and My Boy Jack and in neither of them was there a hint of Harry. And that was even with Jack Kipling wearing glasses. That tells me how good an actor Dan is.

Posted by anne1 on July 20, 2010, 07:40 AM report to moderator

Funny that .Arthur Kipps is in Half a sixpence !.Looking forward to seeing Dan anyway.Always loved Hammer house of Horrors as a kid any way.

Posted by azna70 on July 20, 2010, 09:52 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Folks who have their hearts set on seeing Dan in “How to Succeed…” will need to be cognizant of his other contractual commitments during that same time period, especially if the play gets good notices and settles in for a good long run. A fill-in for him will very likely have to be found at intervals when he has to shoot a movie, which will mean major disappointment for some fans who had to buy their show tickets way in advance. Hopefully Leaky will keep us all well-informed of his planned schedule!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on July 20, 2010, 10:57 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That’s great for Dan! He deserves to be offered different roles. Harry Potter is coming to an end anyway, and he has to move on…

Epjpegutil31_thumb

This sounds like a good film and a good role for Dan. I hope the movie makes it to North America!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on July 20, 2010, 11:44 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Good for Dan – life goes on!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 20, 2010, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

This is wonderful! I know Dan has been all over the stage while not shooting Harry Potter films, so a new film and character will be great.

He’ll always be Harry to me (especially in 20 years when they recast and reshoot the movies like they are doing so much of lately), but as he is aging and maturing and changing I know I’ll not have any problems seeing him as another character.

Posted by Xyra44 on July 20, 2010, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Avatar_thumb

I love how Harry Potter/Dan Radcliffe is starring in a movie in the same role James Potter/Adrian Rawlins played in 1989. Mind. Blown.

Posted by KarliMeaghan on July 20, 2010, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Buffy-last-gleaming-195x300_thumb

That would be great! I’d love to see him in something different.

Posted by Meggie the Goose on July 20, 2010, 05:52 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Go Dan!

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 20, 2010, 06:12 PM report to moderator
Hp5_thumb

he really deserves to star another movie…congratulations Dan…!!!

Posted by Kathy P *ROAR*!!! on July 21, 2010, 12:22 AM report to moderator
Cropped_thumb

I am happy for Dan but somewhere deep inside I’m kind of scared, what if we don’t like him that much as an other character..
Anyway we till have two movies…:)

Posted by ~ Asi ~ on July 21, 2010, 07:37 AM report to moderator
Imagescaoyiy8w_thumb

WOW I am so excited for Dan, and hope I will be able to see the Movie, WOW the Woman in Black sounds so intriguing!!! I am sure Dan will be excellent in the role he will play!!!

Posted by Mistic Willow on July 21, 2010, 07:57 AM report to moderator
41483_1763995488_9057_q_thumb

It’ll will be nice to see him in another role. Haven’t seen his other films. This movie is based on a book right? Has anyone read it? Is it a good story?

Posted by Silvery Doe on July 21, 2010, 08:33 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"I think the only reason I never lost my mind is that I knew I was innocent. That wasn't a happy thought, so the dementors couldn't suck it out of me... but it kept me sane and knowing who I am... helped me keep my powers..."