Confirmed: Dan Radcliffe to Star as Arthur Kipps in "The Woman in Black" (Updated)

Radcliffe
Posted by: Rosi
July 19, 2010, 01:05 PM

Update: A number of casting rumours had surfaced over the weekend that Dan Radcliffe would be starring in a 2011 film adaptation of The Woman in Black. We can now report that this rumour is actually true, thanks to our Order Partner DanRadcliffe.com who obtained confirmation from an official press release at HeyUGuys.co.uk. Producer Simon Oakes is quoted saying he can think of "no better actor to play the role of Arthur Kipps" than Daniel Radcliffe. Director James Watkins also spoke about the Harry Potter actor:

“’When I met Dan, it was quite uncanny how closely our thoughts on the story mirrored each other: I can’t wait to get down to work with him to fashion a compelling character and a classy ghost story that tugs at the heart and chills to the bone,” says James Watkins.

Radcliffe himself described Jane Goldman's script as "beautifully written - both tender and terrifying in equal measure" and said that he was "incredibly excited" to be a part of the film. According to the press release, production on "The Woman in Black" is due to begin this autumn. The film is produced by Simon Oakes for Exclusive Media Group's Hammer Films label and Richard Jackson at Talisman Films.

Arthur Kipps is a young lawyer who glimpses a woman dressed entirely in black as he works in the isolated home of a recently deceased client. A stage play adaptation of the thriller has been running in London's West End since 1989.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Congrats to him. Wish him tons of luck.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on July 19, 2010, 03:01 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I can’t wait to see it. Dan is just racking up the post-Potter roles. He’s got “How to Succeed in Business…,” “All Quiet on the Western Front,” “Journey is the Destination,” and now “The Woman in Black.” Go Dan!!! :D

Posted by cghambright on July 19, 2010, 03:09 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

@Ravenclaw: The lawyer is the main character. So, yeah, it’s a major part.

Posted by cghambright on July 19, 2010, 03:09 PM report to moderator
All-voldemort-needs_thumb

Now I definitely have to read the book! :) Now I know what I should take in the library next time!

Posted by Pollytomat on July 19, 2010, 03:45 PM report to moderator
553520_488880994466250_43107597_n_thumb

Good for you Dan!
But I can’t stop thinking about him as “The Harry with blue eyes”. I both love and hate how he’s played Harry, and I really look forward to see him do something else :)

Posted by Asria (DreamLight208) on July 19, 2010, 03:57 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

Very exciting!

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 19, 2010, 04:59 PM report to moderator

I saw this play in London when I was younger and I cried for 2 weeks afterwards as I had found it so scary! They also made a movie of this that is still pretty scary – you can see it here:
I hope I can summon up the courage to see Dan in it :)

Posted by lucyloveschampagne on July 19, 2010, 05:41 PM report to moderator
Jksgdhlkjhdsfg_thumb

Oh it’s true! happydance I can’t wait to wait to see this!

Posted by RavenclawZombie on July 19, 2010, 08:05 PM report to moderator

Didn’t anyone see Dan in Equus or in My Boy Jack on TV? He is a fine actor! Although I don’t know how he is going to be in this movie and How to Succeed in Business on Broadway in the same year.

Posted by SybilT on July 19, 2010, 08:11 PM report to moderator
Sdc13192_thumb

Good for him.

Posted by l-u-n-a on July 19, 2010, 09:14 PM report to moderator
Bneerhsg_thumb

yaaayyy!

Posted by AlecsWeasley on July 19, 2010, 11:52 PM report to moderator
Romione-wallpaper-romione-29099904-1200-900_thumb

best wishes dan…:-)

Posted by rohit_ASP«Я☼AR» on July 20, 2010, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

For those who haven’t seen it, there was a nice article about Dan (his stage acting etc) in the Guardian. When I checked, it was still available at <http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jul/04/daniel-radcliffe-harry-potter-jk-rowling>.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on July 20, 2010, 02:54 AM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Wow – he will be so busy with his work on Broadway, too! Yay for Dan!

Dan always chooses great and different proyects, it’s admirable, I look foward to watching it!!

Posted by ethanHP on July 20, 2010, 06:21 AM report to moderator

"You all right?" said Harry.[br]Ron nodded but did not speak. Harry was reminded forcibly of the time that Ron had accidentally put a slug-vomiting charm on himself. He looked just as pale and sweaty as he had done then, not to mention as reluctant to op