Mayor of London Wants Potter Fans to Lobby for London Theme Park

Fans
Posted by: Rosi
June 08, 2010, 06:19 AM

Yesterday, Mayor of London Boris Johnson wrote a column in the Daily Telegraph's Comment section about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction. Johnson was highly critical of the location of the theme park, asserting that whilst he has "nothing against Orlando," he "bitterly [resents] that Orlando is about to become the official place of pilgrimage for every Harry Potter fan on earth."

Voicing his frustration, the Mayor continues, "sometimes [the British] just don't seem to have the gumption to exploit our intellectual property." Johnson acknowledges that all behind The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will "do a magnificent job" but remains disillusioned by the prospect:

I know somewhere that's even better than Orlando at looking like London – and that is London. I want to know why this Kingdom of Potter is not being built in the UK, and I won't be fobbed off with any nonsense about the weather. They built Eurodisney in the Valley of the Marne, where it is at least as cold and drizzly as it is in London – and it has been a triumphant success.
Johnson goes on to talk about the longevity of the Harry Potter series, commenting that he has listened to his children "babble about the detail, the clues and suggestions that become ever richer with re-reading, the emotions evoked and the deep satisfaction that these books evidently give."

The Mayor ends with an appeal to  children and parents to write to Warner Bros., Universal and J.K. Rowling to "[bring] Harry home to Britain." You can read the article in its entirety via this link.

Thanks to Maryam for emailing in!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

i see this point

Posted by LilLadySnape on June 08, 2010, 03:18 PM report to moderator

I kind of agree. I am an American, and I’m pretty pleased that it’s being built in my country, but Harry Potter does take place in London, and was written by a British author. I think it would be nice having one in London and Orlando.. Though it would have made more sense for the park to have been built in London first. I think having a park in both locations would be fantastic!

Posted by ronweasleylovesme on June 08, 2010, 04:08 PM report to moderator
Picasion
1919 Points

“sometimes [the British] just don’t seem to have the gumption to exploit our intellectual property.” my favourite quote of the day :)

Posted by JackMeggers on June 08, 2010, 04:13 PM report to moderator
Photo_thumb

Because then I couldn’t go to the theme park, that’s why!

Posted by Potions_TA on June 08, 2010, 04:21 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

dang son
i would love to see a potter park in london for when i go check the scottish sights too

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on June 08, 2010, 04:26 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

i dont know what to say….i see his point, but isnt it a little late? shouldnt he have said something 5 years ago? i have been getting email up dates for five years!!! and its finally open! i see his point but i also like having a bit of Potter close to home…there is so much Potter going on in the UK (and i wish i lived there)…so maybe there could be two! like they have 3 disney lands/worlds, but he’s a little late, and Jo herself approved everything, along side a British team. So even though i thought he had some-what of a point, i felt like he was whining and complaining, or jealous. Build another one if he wants to, it coasts a lot, but i would visit both!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on June 08, 2010, 04:54 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

I kind of agree but I guess its kind of biased because I’m from Ireland and if it was in the UK i could definitly go I am not able to go cause of the distance to Orlando though.But I guess America is a better place for it there are proberbly more fans in america and more land to build a theme park as well

Posted by IloveDobby on June 08, 2010, 05:15 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

I just think that he’s just jealous. While London is the birthplace of Harry Potter I think other countries should be given a chance to show their love for Harry Potter. Afterall it’s an international phenomenon not just a UK phenomenom.

Me_thumb

I think Wizarding World of Harry Potter looks incredible, but I do agree that we should have one in London too.
I’ve created a Facebook group for people who would like to see a park in London, and will contact Boris Johnson and Universal once it has enough members. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129988247020753
Thanks!

Posted by Toonist26 on June 08, 2010, 05:32 PM report to moderator
Mad-eye_thumb

I agree 100%

Posted by Matt_Serverus_ Black on June 08, 2010, 05:32 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hufflepuff0263_thumb

While it is a little late, I must say I do agree with him. Even as an American fan, I feel like the park would be more exciting were it actually in London.

Posted by spacegirl92 on June 08, 2010, 05:56 PM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

Well, there are some amazing filming locations in Britain AND in London: I’ve seen all of them, except for Alnwick Castle, Durham Cathedral and Goathland, BUT I’m going to visit them this summer! I love touring Britain! And why should they build a theme park it they have the real thing???

Posted by Despina on June 08, 2010, 06:03 PM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

I agree with him in theory, but where exactly in London would he suggest they put it? There isn’t room enough to build something even half the size as the one they’ve built in Orlando. I don’t think it has anything to do with the weather at all.

On top of that, it would take forever to complete. Look how long it took them to build Wembley!

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on June 08, 2010, 06:05 PM report to moderator
1980 Points

i agree with him. but orlando is full of theme parks. thats were the main point is.

Posted by floridianhp*ROAR* on June 08, 2010, 06:08 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

London doesn’t need a theme park in order for Potter fans to visit. I get where he’s coming from completely but he needs to realize how much London should already be greatful for.

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 08, 2010, 06:17 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry noticed that Ron's version of events changed subtly with every retelling. At first, he gave what seemed to be the truth... One week later, however, Ron was telling a thrilling tale of kidnap in which he struggled single-handedly against fifty heavil