Mayor of London Wants Potter Fans to Lobby for London Theme Park

Fans
Posted by: Rosi
June 08, 2010, 06:19 AM

Yesterday, Mayor of London Boris Johnson wrote a column in the Daily Telegraph's Comment section about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter attraction. Johnson was highly critical of the location of the theme park, asserting that whilst he has "nothing against Orlando," he "bitterly [resents] that Orlando is about to become the official place of pilgrimage for every Harry Potter fan on earth."

Voicing his frustration, the Mayor continues, "sometimes [the British] just don't seem to have the gumption to exploit our intellectual property." Johnson acknowledges that all behind The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will "do a magnificent job" but remains disillusioned by the prospect:

I know somewhere that's even better than Orlando at looking like London – and that is London. I want to know why this Kingdom of Potter is not being built in the UK, and I won't be fobbed off with any nonsense about the weather. They built Eurodisney in the Valley of the Marne, where it is at least as cold and drizzly as it is in London – and it has been a triumphant success.
Johnson goes on to talk about the longevity of the Harry Potter series, commenting that he has listened to his children "babble about the detail, the clues and suggestions that become ever richer with re-reading, the emotions evoked and the deep satisfaction that these books evidently give."

The Mayor ends with an appeal to  children and parents to write to Warner Bros., Universal and J.K. Rowling to "[bring] Harry home to Britain." You can read the article in its entirety via this link.

Thanks to Maryam for emailing in!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

91276076-92c0d0bb89d5acf6cf757ac328660480

I totally agree, actually me and my friends/family have said that it should have been built in the UK many times. To me it makes sense to build it there since the books are British. Although it does give me a reason to go to America (which I would LOVE to do) I think building a theme park in London would be positively AMAZING!

Posted by Mischief_Managed *Roar* on June 08, 2010, 01:37 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

PrincessLeia, where did Sirius say that ? Just curious …

Posted by siena on June 08, 2010, 01:40 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_thumb

I totally agree!
Harry Potter is English, and it’s just not practical for all us British Potter fans to go all the way to Orlando!!
We can have a park in both countries after all, and that way Potter fans from Europe have less distance to travel, but people can still go to Orlando if that’s closer for them.
I love Harry Potter so much, and this would be so perfect!
Me and my best friend are desperate to go to the park, so building one in London would be the best thing ever!!!
I really hope this idea is approved and we get our park!
Fingers crossed guys.

Posted by EmilyPotter014 on June 08, 2010, 01:41 PM report to moderator
2640_1106109818241_1391663961_305047_8301715_n_thumb

That’s fair. And why not? Go for it!

Posted by hrslvr529 on June 08, 2010, 01:43 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_april_003_thumb

This is so cool!!!

Posted by AbbyWeasley on June 08, 2010, 01:48 PM report to moderator
36051_169251979755516_114302268583821_590721_1732889_n_small_thumb

i can see his point on wonting it to be in britian but people in the us donot have tons of hp things the movies are in britian, the actors are in britian every thing is in britian. haveing it in the us could also give families from different countries a new place to travle to. they would get to see the world of harry potter and a new place that would not have been seen. and one more question that i know someone ask before hand. why is his bring this up now and not before they started to build the park let alone finish and is about to be opend?

Posted by Sarah10248 *ROAR* on June 08, 2010, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Merope_thumb

YES! Harry Potter is written and filmed and acted by british people – almost – but true, we do have horrible weather here(;

Posted by Elyssia Riddle x on June 08, 2010, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Is22581022_thumb

If a park was built in London wouldn’t someone then just complain is was built where Hogwarts is supposed to be, in Scotland? Doesn’t really matter to me since in all likelihood I’ll never travel to Florida or England, but I hear there are more America Harry Potter fans than English Harry Potter fans so it makes since for them to have built it there.

Posted by YodatheHobbit on June 08, 2010, 01:54 PM report to moderator
N1012410067_30004165_424_thumb

They’ve been working on the theme park for YEARS.

As pro-Britain as JK Rowling has always been, I find it hard to believe that she would have turned down a reasonable British alternative had it been presented.
Sounds to me like the mayor doesn’t want a London-based theme park as much as he doesn’t want the US to have one. This is just sour grapes.

But I really don’t think a London based theme park would be feasible. I mean, Universal Studios is already there with tourists. They didn’t have to build it, and many of the rides are converted from old ones.

(I love that he mentions that you are “far more likely to be shot or robbed” in Orlando than in London. What?)

Having said all this, I would TOTALLY VISIT a London HP Park did it exist.

Posted by Olivia on June 08, 2010, 02:26 PM report to moderator
N1012410067_30004165_424_thumb

They’ve been working on the theme park for YEARS.

Having said all this, I would TOTALLY VISIT a London HP Park did it exist.

Posted by Olivia on June 08, 2010, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I do agree that you would think that London would be the perfect place to have a HP theme park but I do have to agree with @Frogki that all-in-all JK Rowling and Warner Brother’s agreed to have the park in the US. To me the mayor seems like a little arrogant. It would be great for them to have a park though so I’m not against it. However they do have the Leavesden sets that actually would be a ‘park’ kinda since that is the original Hogwarts. To me if the park was originally built in the UK I wouldn’t be crying about how they should have one in the US but that’s just me…..

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on June 08, 2010, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-20070416023332981_thumb

Wow, could he be any more bitter and insulting toward the US? It will get more business in Orlando, so it makes more sense to build it there. I don’t think he’s so much concerned about london fans having their park come home as much as the amount of money it would put in His wallet.

Posted by SiriusGirl19 [ROAR] on June 08, 2010, 02:53 PM report to moderator
Hinkypunk2_thumb

Though I am curious to see it, I just can’t get as into it in the Florida setting. Just wouldn’t seem right on a humid 100 degree day.

Posted by Hinkypunk on June 08, 2010, 03:00 PM report to moderator
What_the_hell_is_a_hufflepuff__by_emptymug_thumb

I agree! And it would be a lot easier for me to get there.. :)

Posted by Andrea Black on June 08, 2010, 03:15 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

Wow, a little to dramatic dude! Just let it be in Orlando, because it is a popular vaction spot, so they will get more people in Orlando!

Posted by Heather Staples on June 08, 2010, 03:16 PM report to moderator

"Harry Potter is valiant and bold! He has braved so many dangers already! But Dobby has come to protect Harry Potter, to warn him, even if he [i]does[/i] have to shut his ears in the oven door later.... [i]Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts.[/i]"