Rumor: David Yates Considered to Direct "The Hobbit"

Yates
Posted by: Edward
June 14, 2010, 05:00 PM

Rumors have been cropping up on the internet in the past few weeks regarding Harry Potter director David Yates possibly being in the running to take over the production of the film, "The Hobbit."  As movie buffs will know, director Guillermo Del Toro ("Pan's Labyrinth") stepped away from the the director's chair of "The Hobbit" recently, which has caused much speculation as to who would be his replacement.  Today, SlashFilm.com is reporting the rumor that Harry Potter director David Yates is the frontrunner  to direct the film.  This information is also being reported by CinemaBlend.com, which notes "that "industry insider tracking boards" have it that Yates is the studio's top choice to take over. It's worth noting that the studio in this case is MGM, which is famously mired in financial troubles and may not even be able to fund the film any time soon. It's also worth noting that Yates just wrapped production on the final Harry Potter film and will be spending the next few months locked in an edit room."

While this is indeed an exciting report, it is still very much a rumor, and will stay listed as such until official word comes from the studio or Mr. Yates' camp.

Thanks to HPANA for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Yates News

User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! He butchered OOTP and HBP, if he destroys a film in the only other series I’m absolutley obsessed with I will die!! BLUHHH!!!! I want ♥Peter Jackson!!!!!! >=( is incedibley angry that anyone would ever think of letting David Yates near The Hobbit

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on June 14, 2010, 05:21 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

1st!

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on June 14, 2010, 05:22 PM report to moderator

yeah. i agree with Peace.Love.Potter, he’s fudged the other two harry potter’s up… and hopefully not deathly hallows…. i’ll be disppointed if he does…

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on June 14, 2010, 05:47 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

I’ll be disappionted to HarryRichardsPotter. =(

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on June 14, 2010, 05:54 PM report to moderator
___thumb

NO!! Peter Jackson did a masterpiece out of the trilogy of LOTR, and those 12 hours were the most epic hours of my life. He should direct ‘The Hobbit’. Period.

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on June 14, 2010, 05:58 PM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

Please no. It is a shame that Del Toro had to step away but in true Jackson form Del Toro was the closest to the vision. Yates is probably going to call the writers in and have them do a rewrite & ruin the characters. Let’s say No! to yates.

Posted by sidnandragin on June 14, 2010, 06:03 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m0hexavzz21qb3do9o6_250_normal_thumb

HELL NO!!! Keep Peter Jackson PLEASE!!

Posted by Owana Potter on June 14, 2010, 06:03 PM report to moderator

OMG r u kidding?! the hobbit is like my favorite book (other than hp) and Peter Jackson is WAY better than David Yates!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by cutie4evr11360134 on June 14, 2010, 06:11 PM report to moderator
0322091528_thumb

I have enjoyed Yates films and think he did a fair job making movies out of books that would be difficult to translate into film as seen fit by fans. However, why would you have another director do any of Tolkiens movies when he did such an amazing job on the first 3. Lets get the director from the Matrix to do a love story?? Side Note: I still think that Tim Burton would have created an amazing Harry Potter movie. Does anyone know if he was ever considered? To me, he is the natural choice.

Posted by taoist1 on June 14, 2010, 06:21 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb_thumb

Do not let yates direct he will probably cut the whole fight seen in the castle to only 3 1/2 minutes. nooooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by Roseann on June 14, 2010, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Hope he does well in this movie like he did for Harry Potter…..

Raven_avatar_thumb

My oh my!!!

Posted by Won_Two on June 14, 2010, 07:02 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Just don’t let him get distracted from HP!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on June 14, 2010, 07:03 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

It doesn’t really matter much to me. I read “The Hobbit”, which led me to LOTR. I loved LOTR, and I loved Peter Jackson’s interpretation. I’m not excited about a “Hobbit” movie at all.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on June 14, 2010, 07:27 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

Oh goody…:/
I think he did a great job with OOtP but the hobbit? D: Nooo! I want Peter Jackson back!!

Posted by chocolaterabbits on June 14, 2010, 07:49 PM report to moderator

"Yeah," said Ron slowly, savoring the words, "[i]we won.[/i] Did you see the look on Chang's face when Ginny got the Snitch right out from under her nose?"[br] "I suppose she cried, did she?" said Harry bitterly.