New Interview With Art Director for Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Fans
Posted by: Rosi
May 06, 2010, 05:21 PM

The Universal Orlando website has a brand new interview online with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter's Art Director, Alan Gilmore. Gilmore previously worked as the Art Director on a number of projects including the Harry Potter films, "Notting Hill" and "The Bourne Ultimatum." A video of the interview is now available in our Leaky Video Galleries via this link.

In the interview Gilmore spoke about working with production designer Stuart Craig and the Art Director's role in bringing the Harry Potter attraction to life:

I see myself as a conduit, shepherding Stuart's design and acting as a guardian for his vision and designs from all of the movies.  I have worked alongside the film design team from London for a long time now and have learned so much from them.  We sourced from an extensive back catalog of sets and settings from the films, and many of the spaces we created for the films have been reinterpreted for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
Gilmore also discussed the need to make the theme park world "work from every angle... from a child's point-of-view, to a very tall person's point-of-view, and for everyone in between." He contrasted this challenging task to the Harry Potter films when you "know where your viewer is, and you can design to that viewer, composing the settings from one or two viewpoints."

Universal recently released a photo revealing the brick archway entrance to Hogsmeade and Gilmore declares the view from the archway as the first thing he would want guests to experience:
I would want them to come through the entry arch at Hogsmeade and take a moment to just absorb the amazing spectacle in front of them.  The viewpoint just beyond the arch beside the train looking toward the castle is the most encompassing view of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.  It really gives you a sense of this amazing place.  It should be quite magical to see the reactions on the fans and guests faces as I am sure this will be the first time most people will have ever been in an environment like this.  So, for me, I think this starting point is where you want to have your first experience and explore Harry's world.
You can find a transcript of the full interview here on the Universal Orlando website and the video of the interview here in our galleries. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will have its grand opening on the 18th of June, this year.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Felton_posed_kaizfeng_006_thumb

I’m so ready for it to finally open!! So much for opening in the Spring!

Posted by Slytherins do it better on May 06, 2010, 05:31 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Awesome! He seems really good for it!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on May 06, 2010, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That sounds awesome! I can’t wait till the Wizarding World actually opens!

Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

I never thought about that- how it has to work from both childrens’ and adults’ perspectives. I can’t wait to eventually see the effect myself!!

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on May 06, 2010, 07:07 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Blast! I can’t go! Not yet, anyway.

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on May 06, 2010, 10:15 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

ohh i am soooo excited for this!!! i wont be there at the grand opening but (FINGERS CROSSED) i will be there at leakycon 11!!!! :D if the art direction is anything like the movies, im sure i’ll love it :)

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on May 06, 2010, 11:01 PM report to moderator

Gah! It opens on the month of my b-day! If only I had enough money to book a trip from CA to Orlando…

Posted by HogwartsHokage on May 06, 2010, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Morse_telegrapher_thumb

The word “re-interpreted” worries me, after seeing how the music was “re-interpreted” in movies 5 and 6. How the costumes and sets were “re-interpreted”. The books do a wonderful job of descreibingeverything. Why do they need “re-interpreting”?

Posted by Phoenix1946 on May 07, 2010, 07:56 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

They certainly did a fantastic job in designing the park and I cannot wait to see what it looks like when it opens.

Posted by Kirk on May 08, 2010, 12:12 PM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

Wow, I think it sounds great. And just makes me want to step through that arch to see my own reaction to the whole thing, if that makes sense.

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on May 08, 2010, 12:38 PM report to moderator

I CANT WAIT! IM A HUGE HARRY POTTER FAN BUT MY PARENTS PROBABLY ARENT GONNA TAKE ME TO ORLANDO!!!! I LOVE HARRY POTTER AND HOGWARTS AND REALLY WANT TO GO

Posted by butterbeerwand on May 08, 2010, 04:53 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb_thumb

I am soooo excited to go I cant wait for that butterbeer

Posted by Roseann on May 08, 2010, 08:23 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

cool cant wait to see it all

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on May 09, 2010, 12:26 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Butterbeer, it’s all I’ve ever wanted!

Posted by KiwiMcI on May 09, 2010, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

I REALLY REALLY WANT TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on May 09, 2010, 04:12 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the exten