Emma Watson on College in New Issue of Vanity Fair, Behind the Scenes Video

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
May 05, 2010, 02:16 PM

The June 2010 issue of Vanity Fair magazine has a short piece on Emma Watson, in which the Hermione Granger actress discusses walking into American college life as a freshman at university, as well as her feelings first being cast in the films.  Speaking to her first impression of her freshman year at school, Miss Watson relates:

"It was just awful," she recalls thinking at first, during freshman week. "I was like, I must be mad. Why am I doing this?” And what was with all the party-hearty stuff? She nervously attended her first frat party, hoping she might get into the swing of things. “I felt like I'd walked into an American teen movie. I picked up the red cups. I was like, Wow, they really do drink from these."
The young actress goes on to note in the article that, as time went on, she became fully acclimated to the new environment, and was able to attain her goal of having a normal college life.

A behind the scenes video of an accompanying photo shoot is also now online, and can be viewed right here in our Video Galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Book_thumb

I’m glad she’s enjoying college. Not sure if Brown is really a typical university experience—-it’s rather expensive and exclusive, isn’t it? Still, Uni is Uni and it’s always good to have been, even if you’re like some people and discover it’s not a fit for you.

Neat article. I can’t imagine how awkward I would feel to have people adjusting me like that all day. Not at all like what I see on America’s Next Top Model.

Posted by jillians642 on May 07, 2010, 08:58 PM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Good for her, sounds like she is having the best college experience! =D

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It was a pity that her first week was that awful but I am glad that it worked out for her in the end. Having just finished my sophomore year, I can safely say that nothing compares to college and I hope that she has an enjoyable time with her remaining years!

Posted by Kirk on May 08, 2010, 12:13 PM report to moderator
Angel_thumb

I find it amusing that everyone made such a big deal about her going to this Ivy League school, and she is taking 3 classes only, one of which is an acting class. She sure is making the most of her time there…

Posted by hrrypttrfn328 on May 08, 2010, 01:57 PM report to moderator
Snarry_thumb

I think I’ll always remember her as Hermione. And I really hate that she’s so mature and grown up now! Like or not, she gotta have a life. It feels like I’m losing her (not that I know her that well, but ya know) and Hermione. I always get really sad whenever I watch the first 3 movies and think “Wow, they were so young! What happened?!” I want the cute, totally adorable, Emma back. She’s lost me.

Posted by /Sav-vySlasher/ on May 08, 2010, 02:32 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

This is another sign of her not being so arrogant as to say “I’m so rich I can pay people to think for me.” I really respect her even more for being willing to go thru what many people struggle thru – studying, quizzes, tests, red marks over your homework and book reports. She is such a wonderful person and I say to her to hang in there because friends you get to know, the experience, the triumph of success can’t be bought. Good luck and lots of success Emma.

Posted by molly43 on May 08, 2010, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Haha! so they really do eat out of thoses read cups…

Posted by Jacket on May 08, 2010, 10:29 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

All the best to her.

Posted by budgie on May 09, 2010, 11:20 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

haha i love the red plastic cups also…and yes here in America we really do drink from those because 1)they are very inexpensive and 2)they are everywhere…they also come in blue and yellow haha

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on May 10, 2010, 07:12 AM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on May 10, 2010, 07:13 AM report to moderator

Great interview. I would imagine that being from a foreign country and famous that American college life would be a real scary ordeal. So glad she is adjusting well.
The video was great and that large book on her lap while she was getting her hair done for the photo shoot must have been what Hermione refers to as “light reading.”
She really is a classy young lady and appears to have her priorities firmly in place. GO EMMA!!!!!!!

Posted by hewy on May 10, 2010, 01:09 PM report to moderator
Ththhogwartsheaven_thumb

good for her!

Posted by Taylor Potter ~★ROAR★~ on May 10, 2010, 09:03 PM report to moderator

Ahh, Emma, yo uare so down to earth and so sweet! The best actress actually, who does not get into silly scrapes! Way to go, and be like this Emms! We love you!

Posted by Sanju on May 11, 2010, 12:23 AM report to moderator

Em would look awesome in Ellowyne clothing. :-)

Posted by DobbyWinkyKreacher on May 11, 2010, 04:47 AM report to moderator

I’m glad that she was able to experience college normally. It’s very ‘Hermione’ of her to go to such a good college and actually have success.

Posted by Broomsnitch on May 12, 2010, 05:28 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Ron, I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers...," [Hermione] sobbed.[br]"Oh -- well -- he was old," said Ron, looking thoroughly relieved that she had let go of him. "And he was a bit useless."