Emma Watson on College in New Issue of Vanity Fair, Behind the Scenes Video

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Edward
May 05, 2010, 02:16 PM

The June 2010 issue of Vanity Fair magazine has a short piece on Emma Watson, in which the Hermione Granger actress discusses walking into American college life as a freshman at university, as well as her feelings first being cast in the films.  Speaking to her first impression of her freshman year at school, Miss Watson relates:

"It was just awful," she recalls thinking at first, during freshman week. "I was like, I must be mad. Why am I doing this?” And what was with all the party-hearty stuff? She nervously attended her first frat party, hoping she might get into the swing of things. “I felt like I'd walked into an American teen movie. I picked up the red cups. I was like, Wow, they really do drink from these."
The young actress goes on to note in the article that, as time went on, she became fully acclimated to the new environment, and was able to attain her goal of having a normal college life.

A behind the scenes video of an accompanying photo shoot is also now online, and can be viewed right here in our Video Galleries.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Wig4_thumb

That’s great for Emma!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on May 06, 2010, 04:37 AM report to moderator

That’s really cool. I just love her, wonderful role model and very brave.

Posted by neopolitandreams17 on May 06, 2010, 05:04 AM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

School is what you make of it, but I am glad that Emma stuck it out and realized that US colleges are NOT like what you see in movies.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on May 06, 2010, 07:51 AM report to moderator

aww she’s so cute! i think it’s great that she’s not stuck up or something and is trying to be a normal muggle. :D

Posted by Queenshallspeak on May 06, 2010, 09:13 AM report to moderator

Haha. Is she just talking about red plastic cups? Do they not have those in Britain? It’s wonderful that Emma’s going back to school! Just like Hermione did. I’m glad she’s found normality.

Posted by FGFG on May 06, 2010, 09:38 AM report to moderator
13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

Wow, that would be fun to be in a photo shoot like that, everyone is there to make sure you are taken care of and get beautiful photos! Just another day for Emma Watson I imagine.

Posted by Rosie016 on May 06, 2010, 09:45 AM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

We love those solo cups

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on May 06, 2010, 09:47 AM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

I suppose it is nice that she’s been able to transition into being a college student… though she is right about it starting off bumpy (it was that way for me and I wasn’t uber famous and rich!)

Posted by JessSnape on May 06, 2010, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Felton_posed_kaizfeng_006_thumb

Its great to see that she chose to go to college and try to live a normal life! How many people make it big and never do anything with themselves because they don’t have to? Great for her!!

Posted by Slytherins do it better on May 06, 2010, 11:26 AM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

Emma deserves congratulations for attending college out of her home environment. I wish her all the best!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on May 06, 2010, 11:48 AM report to moderator
Http_3a_2f_2f24

she’s awesome i love her

Posted by Emmaria on May 06, 2010, 11:51 AM report to moderator
Http_3a_2f_2f24

she’s so pretty in that hat

Posted by Emmaria on May 06, 2010, 11:56 AM report to moderator

GO ema !!

Posted by Mew5645 on May 06, 2010, 12:18 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

Emma is beautiful, no doubt about it! But did anyone else see the little girl beneath all that glamour and fashion? She is incredibly poised, but also still very young. So much ahead of her!

Buckbeak_thumb

Culture shock emma?

Posted by Girlraven1 on May 06, 2010, 12:26 PM report to moderator

"Ah! Bettie Bott's Every Flavor Beans! I was unfortunate enough in my youth to come across a vomit-flavored one, and since then I'm afraid I've rather lost my liking for them -- but I think I'll be safe with a nice toffee, don't you?" He smiled and popped