Digital Versions of the Harry Potter Books in the Future?

Books
Posted by: Edward
May 28, 2010, 04:36 PM

The Bookseller is now reporting that the Christopher Little Agency, the literarily agency representing author J. K. Rowling, may be coming closer to enteraining the idea of digital formats for the Harry Potter novels.  The article quotes partner Neil Blair as saying the company is now “currently considering all the options and opportunities that this evolving space provides."  The Bookseller continues:

The agency was "actively" looking, whereas previously it had just been "monitoring the developing area", he said.  Richard Charkin, executive director of Rowling’s print publisher Bloomsbury, declined to comment on whether Bloomsbury was in discussions with the author on e-book plans, saying: "That’s between us and CLA."
While this news is certainly intriguing, no plans are currently set for digital formats or the Harry Potter novels.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

300

I could take it any where if that happens.

Posted by Hermione Granger -Weasley on May 28, 2010, 05:04 PM report to moderator

NONONONO absolutely NOT! I’ve always admired JK Rowling in that she doesn’t allow her books to be downloaded onto e-readers — that’s not how books should be read, and it’s certainly not how Harry Potter books should be read. I can’t bear the thought that books might someday only be published that way. Please, Christopher Little, don’t do it!

Posted by Libby on May 28, 2010, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I think that as long as Harry can attract more and more people who so far do not read books, anything is amazing!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on May 28, 2010, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

I hope they don’t have them also become digital. I have always respected Jo’s view on how books should be read on PAPER and not the computer or on a screen. I hope this isn’t true and that they don’t give into technology. You don’t have to have it digital to take it anywhere with you, it’s a BOOK that can be carried in a bag or in your hands…. since I usually always carry one with me when I travel anyways. I also hope that books don’t all change to only become digital… ick!!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on May 28, 2010, 05:27 PM report to moderator

Oh, yes, PLEASE. I adore my HP real books— I have them in hardcover, paperback, French, and audiobooks— but I’d just love to be able to put them on my Nook. I admit I used to be one of the technophobic readers, convinced that paper was the only way to go— but not anymore. I still read and buy paper books, but being able to carry all my favorites with me wherever I go is fabulous.

An e-book reader is to books what an iPod is to CDs. I remember being anti-iPod, too. looks at her 120 GB iPod classic filled with more than 5 days worth of music

looks at her Nook with more than 100 books on it and counting

Yeah. Give me HP as a cross-platform ebook (i.e., not available only for the Kindle or nook or iPad), and I’ll be one happy camper.

Posted by WahleeTLC on May 28, 2010, 06:01 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That would be heaven! If the Harry Potter books were online more people would actually want to read the books!

10523_165590975145_580380145_3380410_513104_n_thumb

having a Kindle myself, I would LOVE to have my harry potter’s with me everywhere I go!

Posted by deven4191 on May 28, 2010, 06:59 PM report to moderator
Bneerhsg_thumb

it would be good i suppose…

Posted by AlecsWeasley on May 28, 2010, 07:16 PM report to moderator

that would be assume! It stinks that i can’t put them on my kindle, it makes me sad… ♥

Posted by lyricmedlie on May 28, 2010, 07:20 PM report to moderator
Romione-wallpaper-romione-29099904-1200-900_thumb

I don’t think that it is a good idea considering jo respect for book reading..i completely agree with the previous comments..

Posted by rohit_ASP«Я☼AR» on May 28, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator
186087_1721944089_7979824_n_thumb

Cool, if ever.

Posted by blessi on May 28, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Might be nice on the ipad…

Posted by Won_Two on May 28, 2010, 07:34 PM report to moderator

hmm kind of surprised by this always got the impression Jo would not let her books be down-loadable. That said perhaps she has no say in the matter. I dont have an E-reader but have consider getting one strictly for travel seems easier then hauling a ton of books.

Posted by dobby_rocks on May 28, 2010, 09:07 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Would Jo really approve of this? I wonder…

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on May 28, 2010, 09:28 PM report to moderator
The_master_close_up_thumb

So what? I’ll only have to wait 10 years for HP ebooks now as opposed to 20 or more?

As for those who don’t think the books should come out in ebooks, well, I can respect that view. But really, the only way books should be read is on paper? What if the guys carving out books in stone or putting them on sheepskin had said, “This is the only way books should be read, so no paper versions?” Or if somebody had decreed that books should only be done in handwritten script instead of typeset?

Anyway, the HP books are already out in ebook formats. Just not legally. So, the only people Rowling is hurting by her stance are the people who want an honest version of Harry Potter they can buy for their ereaders.

Posted by vespasian68967 on May 28, 2010, 09:34 PM report to moderator

"I don't reckon [Percy would] come home if Dad didn't make him. He's obsessed. Just don't get him onto the subject of his boss. [i]According to Mr. Crouch... as I was saying to Mr. Crouch... Mr. Crouch is of the opinion... Mr. Crouch was telling me...[/i]

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014