Dan Radcliffe Talks Role of Harry in Entertainment Weekly

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
May 28, 2010, 08:45 PM

As readers will recall, yesterday we first told you that the upcoming issue of Entertainment Weekly had included Harry Potter in their list of the 100 Greatest Characters of the Last 20 Years, as part of a celebration of the magazine's twentieth anniversary.  This issue hit newsstands this morning, and we now have for you the text of a short Q&A with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter) contained in the article.
EW: You were 11 when you were cast as Harry Potter, who was already a global phenom.  Did you feel pressure?
DR: If I had been older and slightly more self-aware about the following that Harry had, I would have been slightly more intimidated.  Ignorance and confidence of youth- it's enough to transcend that.
EW: How did you go about creating Harry?  And how has your perception changed over the years?
DR: In the beginning, creating the character was all about the costume and the look.  That's how people thought of him.  In terms of what I did to prepare, it was very much: Just learn the lines.  I'm aware now that there are so many different ways to play any one line.
EW: What makes Harry interesting for you to play?
DR: That he is not perfect.  He's capable of being quite arrogant, quite stubborn, pigheaded, and a little bit selfish.  He can make himself something of a martyr when he really doesn't have to.  All those characteristics are wonderful because it separates Harry from the archetypical superheroes hat you so often get in children's literature.
EW: Has J. K. Rowling offered you advice on playing Harry since the first film?
DR: I did ask her for some advice on the fifth film.  I talked to her about Harry's emergence as the leader of Dumbledore's Army.  She said that it was very important because it's the first time we see Harry be a leader, and eventually he's going to have to lead large numbers of people.
EW: If you could have spent your adolescence playing any other character, who would it be?
DR:  I was always unbelievably jealous of Tobey Maguire playing Spider-Man.  I do think Spidey is the coolest of superheroes.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

Capture10_thumb

i dont want it to end :( its gonna be sooo sad.. he’ll finally have to put up the round glasses forever :’(

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on May 28, 2010, 09:09 PM report to moderator
10523_165590975145_580380145_3380410_513104_n_thumb

I think a little part of me will die when the credits roll on the last movie, I never want it to end :(

Posted by deven4191 on May 28, 2010, 09:12 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

I know a HUGE part of me will die when this finally ends. Don’t!!!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on May 28, 2010, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Why doesn’t J.K Rowling write another book, my heart will truly shatter into smithirines when this whole phenomenom will end…..

Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Loved the mini interview. Great to hear his view on his character.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on May 28, 2010, 10:18 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

nice. i really like him

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on May 28, 2010, 10:46 PM report to moderator
Thriller_thumb

Hee. It’s great that he’s such a Spiderman fan – that just makes me giggle.

Posted by findthefourth on May 28, 2010, 10:55 PM report to moderator
Potter07_thumb

Ha ha, Spider-Man’s like my all-time favourite superhero, too. That’s why I’m not going to go see Spider-Man 4 if Tobey Maguire’s not in it.

Posted by accioangela on May 28, 2010, 11:47 PM report to moderator
Romione-wallpaper-romione-29099904-1200-900_thumb

Well the interview was too good:-)honest enough…
and even i love spidey…cool:-D

Posted by rohit_ASP«Я☼AR» on May 29, 2010, 01:35 AM report to moderator
Platform_9_34_thumb

I may have to go pick up this issue just to have the photos. I’m really looking forward to the final movies but as long as we have the books, read them, and remember the story the saga will never end.

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on May 29, 2010, 04:54 AM report to moderator

I hope the interview is longer, I really like reading his point of view, and it’s been long since we’ve had some interviews with Dan.

Posted by ethanHP on May 29, 2010, 05:43 AM report to moderator
Ron-hermione-romione-3219846-1024-821_thumb

Nice interview.

Posted by Ron&Hermione-4-ever [ROAR] on May 29, 2010, 07:03 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

I am glad that he takes JK Rowling’s advice because it really is her character.

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on May 29, 2010, 09:26 AM report to moderator
Image_thumb

Good interview!

Posted by Smitch on May 29, 2010, 09:50 AM report to moderator

sigh the end of the series is unpreventable: probably the saddest/most painful thing I will ever have to endure…

Posted by Marauder4 on May 29, 2010, 09:53 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Oh, [Lockhart] is marvelous," she said. "He knows his household pests, all right, it's a wonderful book...."[br]"Mum [i]fancies[/i] him," said Fred, in a very audible whisper.[br]"Don't be so ridiculous, Fred," said Mrs. Weasley, her cheeks rather pink.