EW: Harry Potter One of the Greatest Characters of the Last Twenty Years

HP References
Posted by: Edward
May 27, 2010, 12:41 PM

Entertainment Weekly has complied their list of the 100 Greatest Characters of the Last 20 Years to commemorate the magazine's twentieth anniversary, and has included the character of Harry Potter on that ranking.  Coming in at number two, the boy who lived joined such other venerable characters as Homer Simpson, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Edward Scissorhands.  Harry Potter actor Dan Radcliffe is quoted in the article as saying:

"The books will be around for decades to come which makes me wonder if in 30 years time, we will be seeing remakes of all these movies. I have a very dark suspicion that that will happen, although I don’t particularly want it to!"
EW: If you could have spent your adolescence playing any other character, who would it be?
Daniel Radcliffe: "I was always unbelievably jealous of Tobey Maguire playing Spider-Man. I do think Spidey is the coolest of the superheroes."
The top ten list of the 100 Greatest Characters of the Last 20 Years is as follows:
1)       Homer Simpson – The Ultimate D’Oh boy.
2)       Harry Potter – The Wiz Kid
3)       Buffy
4)       Tony Soprano – The toughest family man.
5)       The Joker
6)       Rachel Green – The girl next door who’ll be our best Friend forever
7)       Edward Scissorhands – The sharpest dresser
8)       Hannibal Lecter – A doctor who put the gore in gourmand.
9)       Carrie Bradshaw – The sleek city slicker.
10)     Spongebob Squarepants
The full lis will be available in the June 4 issue of Entertainment Weekly is set to be on newsstands May 28.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP References News

Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am absolutely convinced that someone else should have been considered for the top spot!

Posted by Kirk on May 27, 2010, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

Oh God. I’m gonna tear up because it’s finishing so soon!

_r9kau7w_thumb

OBVIOUSLY.

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on May 27, 2010, 08:16 PM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

In my humble opinion Harry should have been number 1. But this is still awesome!

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on May 27, 2010, 08:50 PM report to moderator
Starship_thumb

OMG my moms boss gets Entertainment Weekly! I gotta tell her to take it lol :p WOOOOHOOO HARRY’S NO.2 EVEN THO HE SHOULD BE NO.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by NaRgLeS.WuZz.H3r3(: {Roar} on May 27, 2010, 09:42 PM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe__rupert_grint__emma_watson_harry_potter_and_the_deathly_hallows_movie_image_1_thumb

2nd to Homer? Who compiled this list anyway? Rubbish.

Posted by crikeyhunter on May 27, 2010, 10:01 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

who the hell is this Homer Simpson? Dan should be on top for HP

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on May 27, 2010, 10:23 PM report to moderator
Avpm_thumb

I actually like all of the Top 10 minus Carrie Bradshaw only because I hate Sex and the City. WTG Harry!

Posted by NobleHouseofBlack on May 27, 2010, 11:13 PM report to moderator
May12003_thumb

i think for 10 years simpsons was pretty big, and homer is sort of an everyman and harry potter ended up big, and again i was one who didn’t know who harry potter was until my stepsister sent me the first two books, becuase she knew I liked to read and i ended up like everyone else hooked and oh yeah halfblood prince comes to hbo on june 18th and if you have hbo on demand it will be available for a month starting on june 21st, and we just had on demand recently like wed, so we hbo, starz and sho on demand, as well as being able to order new movies on demand, and some shows on demand

Posted by potterball on May 27, 2010, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Emma_t_thumb

Um yeah Harry should have been 1st.. Homer Simpson…really?? wow :P
And yayy aww I love Carrie Bradshaw and Spongebob!! <3 haha

Posted by Delilah [ROAR] on May 27, 2010, 11:58 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Harry should be first!!!!! Then Hannibal Lecter!! Then Joker!!!! THEN Homer!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on May 28, 2010, 12:42 AM report to moderator
Potter07_thumb

Harry should have gotten the top spot. He’s had more influence in the world than Homer, though I love The Simpsons. And I do think Woody the cowboy or Buzz Lightyear should have made this list. (Toy Story fan till now, ha ha)

Posted by accioangela on May 28, 2010, 12:56 AM report to moderator

It looks like Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrel) from Anchorman is on that list. Good call Entertainment Weekly. I wasn’t surprised that they kissed Tim Burton/Johnny Depp’s butt with Edward Scissorhands. That movie was okay. The character was just kinda weird in my opinion. I’m still glad Harry made second though!

Posted by OddRavenclaw222~WBM~ on May 28, 2010, 01:26 AM report to moderator

Well, Harry made it to the top 10, let alone being in 2nd place. That’s all that matters. :)

Never thought that Dan would be a huge Spiderman fan…

Posted by HogwartsHokage on May 28, 2010, 02:01 AM report to moderator

@HogwartsHokage yeah I never really suspected him to like Spider-Man. It’s kind of weird actually. I never was too big of a Spider-Man myself and I remain partial to Batman lol

Posted by OddRavenclaw222~WBM~ on May 28, 2010, 03:22 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

As both of them stared at the place where it had broken, appalled at what had happened, a pearly-white figure with hugely magnified eyes rose into the air, unnoticed by any but them. Harry could see its mouth moving, but in all the crashes and screams and