EW: Harry Potter One of the Greatest Characters of the Last Twenty Years

HP References
Posted by: Edward
May 27, 2010, 12:41 PM

Entertainment Weekly has complied their list of the 100 Greatest Characters of the Last 20 Years to commemorate the magazine's twentieth anniversary, and has included the character of Harry Potter on that ranking.  Coming in at number two, the boy who lived joined such other venerable characters as Homer Simpson, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Edward Scissorhands.  Harry Potter actor Dan Radcliffe is quoted in the article as saying:

"The books will be around for decades to come which makes me wonder if in 30 years time, we will be seeing remakes of all these movies. I have a very dark suspicion that that will happen, although I don’t particularly want it to!"
EW: If you could have spent your adolescence playing any other character, who would it be?
Daniel Radcliffe: "I was always unbelievably jealous of Tobey Maguire playing Spider-Man. I do think Spidey is the coolest of the superheroes."
The top ten list of the 100 Greatest Characters of the Last 20 Years is as follows:
1)       Homer Simpson – The Ultimate D’Oh boy.
2)       Harry Potter – The Wiz Kid
3)       Buffy
4)       Tony Soprano – The toughest family man.
5)       The Joker
6)       Rachel Green – The girl next door who’ll be our best Friend forever
7)       Edward Scissorhands – The sharpest dresser
8)       Hannibal Lecter – A doctor who put the gore in gourmand.
9)       Carrie Bradshaw – The sleek city slicker.
10)     Spongebob Squarepants
The full lis will be available in the June 4 issue of Entertainment Weekly is set to be on newsstands May 28.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP References News

Romione-wallpaper-romione-29099904-1200-900_thumb

Harry potter certainly deserved the #1 spot..nevertheless its cool to be at 2nd:-) and why isn’t spiderman in top 10??
this is nuts!
well dan got it right..even i have a feeling that there will be a remake within 30 years..fingers crossed:-))

Posted by rohit_ASP«Я☼AR» on May 27, 2010, 03:33 PM report to moderator
Mr_bean__thumb

yay! thats aweomse :)

Posted by hermionenluna TZS ROAR! on May 27, 2010, 03:42 PM report to moderator
Img_0860_thumb

Lol Spongebob. Remakes would be awesome! Not that I don’t absolutely adore these ones, I just want HP to continue forever and ever and ever because I don’t know what I’ll do with my time when there’s no rumour/leaks/pics/awards to squee about. …probably spend it at addiction counselling because HP is my drug of choice and I can’t kick it.

Posted by Libster47 on May 27, 2010, 03:43 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

The EW lists are so subjective. I’m so thrilled Harry is in the second spot.

Posted by Xyra44 on May 27, 2010, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

yeahhh :D

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on May 27, 2010, 03:51 PM report to moderator

Yes, all lists are subjective! I guess we can be thankful that Harry was #2 and not #20. But Homer Simpson?? Please let’s be real here. Oh well!

Posted by hewy on May 27, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_april_003_thumb

awesomeness!

Posted by AbbyWeasley on May 27, 2010, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

lol the list is so funny. Anyway GO GO POTTER/DANIEL GO!

Posted by Mr. Brightside on May 27, 2010, 05:00 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

hahahaha!! sponge bob!!! XD

Wand_thumb

Yay! Go HP! There better not be a remake!!!!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on May 27, 2010, 05:21 PM report to moderator

I would not call this list subjective; I would call it contrived. What is the significance of the last twenty years? Why not 10 years? Or 50 years for that matter. Nonetheless, I’m glad to see HP high on the list.

As for Dan’s comments about future remakes, I think he might be right about that. But, whatever happens, he and his fellow castmates will always be the actors who originated the roles and their portrayals the benchmarks by which all other interpretations of the stories are measured.

Posted by Jillxoxo on May 27, 2010, 05:23 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Harry Potter is awesome anwyays, so he should be recognised.

Buckbeak_thumb

Homer won? Dooohhhh!

Posted by Girlraven1 on May 27, 2010, 06:27 PM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

WOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOO!!! GO Harry!!! =DDDD

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on May 27, 2010, 06:51 PM report to moderator

You’ve got to be kidding me…Homer Simpson? (and why isn’t Spongebob higher? D: )

Posted by Silver Triffel on May 27, 2010, 06:59 PM report to moderator

As they entered Lockhart's darkened office there was a flurry of movement across the walls; Harry saw several of the Lockharts in the pictures dodging out of sight, their hair in rollers.