John Hurt Talks Return as Ollivander in "Deathly Hallows"

Actor Interviews
Posted by: Edward
May 15, 2010, 01:20 PM

The Times Online has published a short Q & A interview with actor John Hurt (Ollivander), in which the venerable performer relates his impressions of the many aspects of his life, both onscreen and off.  In the article, John Hurt discusses the role of Ollivander in the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film, as well as what it was like to return to the series after his extended gap between the first and last films.  Quoteagae:

The franchise
It’s very strange really. I did the first one and thought that would be it. Nobody knew whether it was going to be successful. When I came back last December to do the last two, suddenly everybody’s grown up. Daniel’s 20. It’s very peculiar.
Potter fans
They’re crazy about Ollivander — they love him! I’m not sure they will when they see the next one when he’s being tortured. I’ve never been pestered for an autograph. I get asked — usually by parents because the children are a bit too shy to ask. But I’ve never been pestered; I have a very good class of fan.
Thanks to SS for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Actor Interviews News

Platform_9_34_thumb

John Hurt is a great actor. I’m sure he will be fantastic in the last two movies.

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on May 16, 2010, 11:47 AM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

i totally cant wait to see that movie!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on May 16, 2010, 01:05 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

nice. i think hes totally awesome as ollivander

Posted by MaggieNoise on May 16, 2010, 03:54 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

aw, I’m so excited to see him return! he’s got an amazing part in DH! :)

Posted by DesQueJteVois on May 16, 2010, 04:47 PM report to moderator

How wonderful that they were able to get him to reprise his role. Looks like he has been a very busy fellow.
Ollivander was spot on in the first movie!

Posted by hewy on May 16, 2010, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

He is a wonderful Ollivander I can’t picture anyone else playing him.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on May 16, 2010, 07:49 PM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

Here’s to classy fans! And he should have been in GOF to check the wands!! :)

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on May 16, 2010, 09:20 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

i like him. its good that hes returned

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on May 16, 2010, 10:59 PM report to moderator
Hp6_poster_1_thumb

I just simply can’t wait to see Ollivander back. I was hoping he would be there for The Goblet of Fire, but, alas, he wasn’t. John is such a fantastic actor, he makes that role sublime.

Posted by potter_man_34 on May 17, 2010, 05:50 AM report to moderator
Felton_posed_kaizfeng_006_thumb

I’m sure his performance in DH 1 and 2 is going to be spectacular. It must have been strange to go back and work with all of the actors when the last time you saw them they were 11 and now they’re all grown up!

Posted by Slytherins do it better on May 17, 2010, 09:32 AM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

Always liked John Hurt – perfecct for the part

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on May 17, 2010, 11:18 AM report to moderator

Yay!!! I’m glad he’s back! He made a wonderful Ollivander in the first movie! Congrats, John Hurt!

Posted by LoonyMaddie3 on May 17, 2010, 12:47 PM report to moderator
Gred2_thumb

Everyone is right; He should have appeared in GOF for the wand inspections. I mean it is crucial that Harry should have heard Gregorovitch name “somewhere”.

Posted by cenyt on May 17, 2010, 04:15 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

John Hurt plays a great Ollivander and should have been in GOF to test the wands and give the clue about . I’m so glad they decided to bring him back and I hope it’s not just for the torture scene but also his time at Bill and Fleur’s home when HP questions him about what Voldemort said and did.

Posted by molly43 on May 18, 2010, 11:38 AM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb
Oop! should have said : John Hurt plays a great Ollivander and should have been in GOF to test the wands and give the clue about Gregorovich.
Posted by molly43 on May 18, 2010, 11:41 AM report to moderator

"...we're going to go on an expedition to Sweden this summer and see if we can catch a Crumple-Horned Snorkack."[br]Hermione seemed to struggle with herself for a moment, then said, "That sounds lovely."