John Hurt Talks Return as Ollivander in "Deathly Hallows"

Actor Interviews
Posted by: Edward
May 15, 2010, 01:20 PM

The Times Online has published a short Q & A interview with actor John Hurt (Ollivander), in which the venerable performer relates his impressions of the many aspects of his life, both onscreen and off.  In the article, John Hurt discusses the role of Ollivander in the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" film, as well as what it was like to return to the series after his extended gap between the first and last films.  Quoteagae:

The franchise
It’s very strange really. I did the first one and thought that would be it. Nobody knew whether it was going to be successful. When I came back last December to do the last two, suddenly everybody’s grown up. Daniel’s 20. It’s very peculiar.
Potter fans
They’re crazy about Ollivander — they love him! I’m not sure they will when they see the next one when he’s being tortured. I’ve never been pestered for an autograph. I get asked — usually by parents because the children are a bit too shy to ask. But I’ve never been pestered; I have a very good class of fan.
Thanks to SS for the heads up!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Actor Interviews News

_r9kau7w_thumb

ahhhh! I LOVEE ollivander! he was so extremely perfect in sorcerers stone. so perfect. dead on. he is one of only a handful of characters i can truly say were phenomenal. in a way, i dont want to see him in DH because he will be being tortured but in a way, i want to see him because of what harry learns from him and how perfect john hurt will be. i am just soo excited for this film!!!

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on May 16, 2010, 01:11 AM report to moderator
Mad-eye_thumb

Im glad he is back but it would have been cool if they bought him back in the 4th for the Weighing of the Wand. But at least he is back.

Posted by Matt_Serverus_ Black on May 16, 2010, 01:50 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I’m so glad John Hurt will be back as Ollivander. Since it’s been so long I was afraid they might get someone else, thinking that the fans wouldn’t notice. But we all would have.

John Hurt has the perfect look for Ollivander and the rather mysterious voice that makes him the best choice. Can’t wait to see Deathly Hallows.

Posted by Eeyore on May 16, 2010, 02:42 AM report to moderator
Thumb_dh_unofficialstills_harry_ron_hermione_012_thumb

I’m glad they brought him back. Who else could explain the relevance of the Elder Wand?

Posted by dreampotter [ROAR!] on May 16, 2010, 03:49 AM report to moderator
Happy_thumb

He looks a lot older.

Posted by Beatrice Jean Granger on May 16, 2010, 03:50 AM report to moderator
For_your_consideration_thumb

you know what:
harry pottr is THE BEST film of ALL TIME and the casting for it is absoloutely spot on:
everyone who plays everyone is perfect:
well done casting director!!!! :D

Posted by Harrypotterultrafan on May 16, 2010, 04:58 AM report to moderator
186087_1721944089_7979824_n_thumb

I miss you. Welcome Back :)

Posted by blessi on May 16, 2010, 06:16 AM report to moderator
Reliquiasdelamuerte_thumb

Aww! I love this guy!! :)

Posted by IHeartHarryPotter on May 16, 2010, 07:41 AM report to moderator
Flitwick_thumb

Can’t wait to see him again. Soooo glad they didn’t decide to recast, but I guess it was Hurt’s choice, so thank you so much!

Posted by JoeWorthy on May 16, 2010, 08:45 AM report to moderator
36051_169251979755516_114302268583821_590721_1732889_n_small_thumb

Posted by Sarah10248 *ROAR* on May 16, 2010, 09:11 AM report to moderator

Oh, I hope He won’t change appearence, and ollivander got taken away from the goblet of fire….So …I guess everyone loves ollivander he’s a great wand maker

Posted by Airallia on May 16, 2010, 09:12 AM report to moderator
Fantasyart01_thumb

Good to hear they’re keeping to the plot! Didn’t think we’d get to see him tortured really, since they’ve cut out so much in the past :) I can’t wait to see the film!! Really hope it lives up to my expectations XD

Posted by Sasha on May 16, 2010, 10:19 AM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

I’m so glad they’re having him back for the scenes in Malfoy Manor and (presumably!) to explain Wandlore. It really looks like they’re going to be true to the book’s storyline this time!

Posted by Agrippa1 on May 16, 2010, 10:59 AM report to moderator
Romione-wallpaper-romione-29099904-1200-900_thumb

Yeah it will be really glad to see him back after ss…he plays a vital role in dh…supercool! Hope he does justice again..

Posted by rohit_ASP«Я☼AR» on May 16, 2010, 11:00 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I look forward to seeing him reprise his role as Ollivander in the Deathly Hallows!

Posted by Kirk on May 16, 2010, 11:25 AM report to moderator

Gilderoy Lockhart came slowly into view, seated at a table surrounded by large pictures of his own face, all winking and flashing dazzlingly white teeth at the crowd. The real Lockhart was wearing robes of forget-me-not blue that exactly matched his eyes;

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014