Actress Sophie Thompson Speaks About "Deathly Hallows" Filming as Mafilda Hopkirk

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
April 08, 2010, 12:44 AM

The BBC has posted a short video interview with Sophie Thompson, who is portraying the role of Mafilda Hopkirk in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," in which the actress mentions briefly filming for the seventh film.  Noting a particular scene filmed "a couple of weeks ago" where she is being chased by dementors. Quoteage:

"We were running away from these dementors, which Harry Potter people will know are these horrible creatures that suck out your very soul and they had to slow me down.  I was in my high heels and everything because I'm playing this little secretary character ... and they said: 'Soph, you're going too fast! Nobody can keep up!'"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" comes to theaters this November, while Part II is slated for release in July of 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That part in the book was exciting I bet it will be even better in the movie. Watching that whole part in the Minsitry of Magic. Oh when will it release already, but I think I’ll stick to waiting…I don’t want the movies to end now!

Okay, I’m going to be a little controversial here, I think. I’m one of those who fall into the camp of keeping the general story the same in a book-to-film adaptation, but who also loves the idea of finding new ways to portray those same scenes on film. For instance, as a movie-goer, I would rather have the scene of Harry fleeing from a flying (not hovering, like in the book) dragon all around the turrets of Hogwarts instead of how it’s portrayed in the book (Harry sort of just zooms left and right before diving for the egg, the dragon refuses to leave the egg and just sort of crouches and snarls the whole time)…it just wouldn’t work in a movie. The same thing happened in Lord of the Rings when it was adapted…TONS of action scenes that didn’t exist in the book at all, or were only implied…same thing for the Narnia movies…and I for one love it. Most authors who are comfortable enough with themselves love to see a little bit of liberty taken with adaptations of their novels, and since I have personally read and seen a number of interviews with J.K. Rowling stating that that is what she wants (and I wouldn’t dispute one of my favorite authors), it’s totally cool with me. When people complain about Steve Kloves or the invention of new scenes or the deletion of certain characters, they always assume Jo is shaking her head in dismay somewhere, but in fact she’s described Steve Kloves in various interviews as one of her better friends (and he’s done the same with her). She trusts and likes what he comes up with, and she’s also made suggestions to him over the years and told him when certain things don’t match up with her grand vision for the series. Now here comes the controversial part…I think some fans want non-fans to understand why they love these books so much, and when they don’t see a direct book-to-film translation (especially if the non-fan decides they “don’t get” the film or don’t like it), we blame it on the fact that “the book was better”…but a non-fan, 99.9 percent of the time, just isn’t ever going to read the book. I’m sorry, but we should be grateful the films stay as close to the source material as they do…I’ve seen far worse adaptations in my time. And to be honest, to say you love one of Jo’s Potter books and bought it because it was styled a certain way doesn’t make sense…first you buy the book, then you read it…you have no clue before-hand which direction the story is going to go, because it’s all new to you at the time. A good film adaptation should compress the story somewhat, simply because of how people’s brains work when watching films as opposed to how they work when reading a book a chapter at a time…and a good adaptation should also simplify things somewhat, not too much, but somewhat…and a good adaptation should always include something new, because to me it feels like reading a lost chapter of the book, and helps re-create that sense of discovery.

Posted by critterfur on April 08, 2010, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Emma-vs-01_copy_thumb
Agreed 100% with critterfur. Couldn’t have said it better myself.
Posted by Leo_Lovegood on April 08, 2010, 06:40 PM report to moderator
Harryserioustare_thumb

Haha, I know that moment shouldn’t be funny at all, but it made me laugh!

Posted by egdillonROAR!!! on April 08, 2010, 07:04 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

@critterfur, very well put, I like the films, I love the books, and I think that they have kept the feel of the story rather well, PS and COS were good enough films but in a way they stuck rather too much to portraying the written page, it was lovely when POA came out and had so much more creativity. I can separate the books and the films and enjoy both.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on April 08, 2010, 07:10 PM report to moderator

Agreed, critterfur. I absolutely adore the films and how they magnificently portray Jo’s world, from the special effects to the gorgeous production design. I also agree that movies and books have to tell stories differently, and so I can accept cinematic changes very easily if they engage me. I think the films keep the spirit of the books and do a good job of introducing general audiences to the world of Harry Potter through some great British acting.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on April 08, 2010, 07:24 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I look forward to seeing her performance!

Posted by Kirk on April 08, 2010, 08:21 PM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

I think Harry Potter is in general close enough to the book to be good. I disliked the scenes at the burrow in at HBP with Ginny though i guess the attack was okay.

On the other hand, the Chronicles of Narina: Prince Caspian is not a good adaption. If you have read the book then you will know it is not Narnia.

Posted by decarus on April 08, 2010, 08:36 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Just like in the book! I love it when that happens. :) I just read this part last night, I’m re-reading DH for the 7th…could be 8th time. Why is everyone surprised this is in the movie, its in the book.

Posted by LunaLuver on April 09, 2010, 12:42 AM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

I am sure that Sophie will do her role justice,and I am glad that they are taking the story line seriously. Mafalda is really Hermionein this scene, and if Dementors were after me, I would try to run fast… high heels or not!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on April 09, 2010, 02:42 PM report to moderator

Can’t wait! Sooo excited!

Posted by LoonyMaddie3 on April 09, 2010, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Da1a_thumb

I agree with Critterfur…the only times I have been disappointed was in OOTP when they made Harry’s patronus just a silver ball, when it should have been a stag. And I do wish they had included more Dursley moments…but overall i have really enjoyed the films.

Posted by Rin68nyr on April 09, 2010, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

Running from dementors in high heels… That’s epic!!! LOL It will be fun to watch, can’t wait to it!!! Way to go, Sophie!!!

Posted by Madam Snape on April 09, 2010, 11:14 PM report to moderator
Swans_in_love_thumb
2062 Points

Running in high heels- awesome. Can’t wait!

Posted by Alice Weasley{Weasley's Queen} [ROAR!] on April 10, 2010, 08:40 PM report to moderator

Gotta say, I love it when we hear about a scene and someone here says, “That’s not in the book,” and then somebody quotes it directly from the book. Shows we’re all human and make mistakes. Or we’re just not paying attention.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on April 10, 2010, 10:38 PM report to moderator

He threw Pigwidgeon out of the window. Pigwidgeon plummeted twelve feet before managing to pull himself back up again; the letter attached to his leg was much longer and heavier than usual -- Harry hadn't been able to resist giving Sirius a blow-by-blow a