Actress Sophie Thompson Speaks About "Deathly Hallows" Filming as Mafilda Hopkirk

DH Film
Posted by: Edward
April 08, 2010, 12:44 AM

The BBC has posted a short video interview with Sophie Thompson, who is portraying the role of Mafilda Hopkirk in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," in which the actress mentions briefly filming for the seventh film.  Noting a particular scene filmed "a couple of weeks ago" where she is being chased by dementors. Quoteage:

"We were running away from these dementors, which Harry Potter people will know are these horrible creatures that suck out your very soul and they had to slow me down.  I was in my high heels and everything because I'm playing this little secretary character ... and they said: 'Soph, you're going too fast! Nobody can keep up!'"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I" comes to theaters this November, while Part II is slated for release in July of 2011.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hpdh_thumb

gotta love dementors

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on April 08, 2010, 02:14 PM report to moderator

Please please please stop with the “… its not in the book…” blah blah blah it is so boring boring tedious boring…

There are still some commentators here who just don’t GET that a film is a film is a film and a book is a book is a book.

JKR expressly does not want the films to try and be ‘just like the books’. JKR encourages us all to use our imagination and be creative. And this very much includes the team who are making the films.

I will be VERY disappointed if the film is ‘just like the book’. I have got the book at home and I can read it any time I like. I do not want to pay good money to go to the cinema and see a copy of the book on the screen! I want some surprises, I want some new angles, I want some imagination and creativity.

Posted by SeaJay on April 08, 2010, 02:24 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Amazing how many people here don’t seem to think there is anything like this in the book, have you all read it or not? Glad that most people do realise that the scene exists, they may give it a bit more action because that will work well for the film.
Sophie sounds so like her Mum!

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on April 08, 2010, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Is22581022_thumb

“Given how little the sixth movie resembled the sixth book.”

See. This is just factually incorrect. Utterly ridiculous. I think you watched GI Joe instead of HBP. I bet you you only watched it once. . It resembled the sixth book more than it un-resembled it. IT IS THE SAME STORY. There are more scene straight out of the book than there are removed from it. You do not understand that this happens to every movie adaptation of a book in existence! It is not exclusive to HP!
Minor changes to the narrative and scenes that didn’t make the cut does not a bad adaptation make!

People want everything to fit into their perfect little individual way they imagined it. It’s just selfish and robs the filmmakers of the praise they deserve.

Posted by YodatheHobbit on April 08, 2010, 02:31 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

SeaJay and YodatheHobbit It’s nice that we live in a diverse world and your opinion has been noted. It’s definitely ok , however, tht some of us like the book the way it is and would like to see the movie exactly as the book is. That is why we bought the book because we like the way JKR made the book. There are some changes tht a movie has to make because it can’t be translated to movie status, but it should stay in line with the personality of the story. I’m not saying it’s happening in this particular scene; but when you start add’g and deleting important things to a movie then that takes away from the character of the film then it makes the film less interesting to some of us. I for one think they use too many physically dark scenes. I squinted to try to understand some scenes but It was still hard to figure them out. If I hadn’t read the book I wouldn’t know what was happening. A competent story should be clear enough for those who had never read the book to understand. I feel like if you want to make up a lot of things then write your own book and make a movie of it. HPSC is a good example of how things were added or taken out but the character of the book remained. I don’t feel tht the sixth book or any book after HPPA even half way resembles the books and I’ve both read and listened to all of the HP books at least six times. I think JKR is a genius of a writer.

Posted by molly43 on April 08, 2010, 03:53 PM report to moderator
26dfd7603b091fe4c95efaad002edbaa46_thumb

nice cant wait

Posted by LilLadySnape on April 08, 2010, 04:09 PM report to moderator

Why do some fans keep implying that the Dementor scene isn’t in the book? Seriously, they do have to escape from the Dementors during the Ministry scene in the book. It’s funny how even the fans seemingly don’t know this.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on April 08, 2010, 04:11 PM report to moderator

Oh, and I don’t see what’s so wrong about the character wearing high heels, unless her shoes are so significant to you (are they even described in the book, anyway)? I guess I don’t care very much about what shoes a character wears.

Posted by SwedishSkinJer on April 08, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22029 Points

cool news!

Image

kewl!!!

Posted by magicmaniac on April 08, 2010, 05:11 PM report to moderator
Deathly-hallows-symbol-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-564456_1422_1545_thumb

weird…

Posted by Nwrosey on April 08, 2010, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

Oh that’s Sophie Thompson, I hadn’t realised it was her. Well that’s interesting. She’s not how I pictured Mafalda, but neither have most of the actors and actresses been and they’ve still been good. Can’t wait to see the scene in the cinema :D

Posted by nellythemarrow on April 08, 2010, 05:41 PM report to moderator

molly43 (3:53pm) I know what you are saying and given that the films are simply not going to resemble the books in a way that would please you surely you should do yourself a favour and make a point of not seeing the films? Why upset yourself and waste your money?

Posted by SeaJay on April 08, 2010, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

Well she looks like Maflada when she is in costume. I think it works. I think they did a good job with all three.

Posted by decarus on April 08, 2010, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Emma-w-emma-watson-8833950-100-100_thumb

Haha, I find it amazing that she was wearing high heels and she still outran everybody. Woohoo I can’t wait to see the Ministry of Magic scene.

Posted by cOoLiO_bEans1494 on April 08, 2010, 06:21 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"You [i]bought[/i] that monster?" said Ron...[br]"He's [i]gorgeous[/i], isn't he?" said Hermione, glowing.[br]That was a matter of opinion, thought Harry. The cat's ginger fur was thick and fluffy, but it was definitely a bit bowlegged and its face looked