JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM
Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll. After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.
Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter." She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven." She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.
JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow. Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble. This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.
Responses to additional questions include:
- Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
- Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
- Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
- Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
- The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
- Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms. Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
- Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter. Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
I think what I admire most about JK Rowling is the way she interacts with kids. She never talks down to them. She takes their questions seriously and treats them as if they really are people. That’s sensational!!
Cool! I am sooo excited!!!! I will definetly read it, and I am bursting with excitement. She also said in about 10 years she might make another Harry Potter book…..
JeannemclROAR, Whsat do you mean, “treats them like they really are people?!” Of course kids are people!
I’m glad it’s another book but it’s not about Harry Potter as Voldemort is already gone and to let another “baddie” rise to power would make it seem weird.
‘I hope she’s been “chosen” by another great story and characters!’ I loved that comment FilmGirl27! Me too, to be fair I think I’m more a J.K. Rowling fan than a HP one. I can’t wait to see what she’ll come up with. I love that women. It worried me to think she might release something under a different name just to see how i would do and not deal with the pressure.
By the way DADA teacher inspired by Spinal Tap: genius!
And did anyone else notice the correct way to pronounce Rubeus. Jo said Roo-bay-os while the movie folk say Roo-be-us
If Rowling was going to revisit the HP series, I would love for her to write about the first Order of Phoenix. Or maybe about James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter… And of course Severus!!
squee I am so excited for this mysterious book that is coming soon.
I’m a little surprized that some people dont really want another HP book. In my opinion it would be awesome. And, seeing as how she kind of suggested a prequel when she wrote the Prequel I Am Not Currently Working On, I would love for it to be a prequel. There is so much that we dont know or, we only see little glimpses of. I so would love to read that book lol
can’t wait to see it!!!
Wahey! A new JKR book in “the not so distance future”.
That sounds amazing!! :D
The first reading is at
So does this mean original Hermione was not going to be muggleborn? If she and her family lived next door to the Potters in Godrics Hollow.
dobby_rocks: Godric’s Hollow is a mixed community, mostly muggles with some witch and wizard families. So Hermione could still have been muggleborn. Jo also talks about this on her website (though the details are somewhat different – maybe Jo has looked through her notes since then) at http://www.jkrowling.co.uk/textonly/en/extrastuff_view.cfm?id=1
I am absolutely enthralled to hear that she will bless us with an original work. Seeing her refreshing, witty, and unique style of writing applied to a universe that has no relation whatsoever to Harry Potter will certainly intrigue us as readers.
This is awesome! I’m anxious to read another JKR book soon, whatever genre she decides to write next.
cant wait to see her new book