JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM
Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll. After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.
Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter." She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven." She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.
JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow. Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble. This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.
Responses to additional questions include:
- Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
- Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
- Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
- Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
- The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
- Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms. Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
- Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter. Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
Jo could write about a turtle that ate a ham sandwich and then died and i would read it and love it
It’s so hard to imagine loving another book as much as Harry Potter, but I’m looking forward to it all the same! It’s J.K. Rowling we’re talking about, it will no doubt be brilliant.
Ha ha! I feel the same way Zach.
would you look at that.. i’m excited about the new book too.. but something caught my attention..
“JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry’s house in Godric’s Hollow. Shortly after her original plan included Hermione’s father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble. This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.” i have a feeling that jk planned to make harry end up with hermione in her first plans for the book..
“The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.” usually, when you’re writing the story.. you think of the hero then, the heroine.. or vice versa.. you think of the main character then the one whom he will ends up with.. the one who will help him throughout the whole story.. i knew it.. it really was supposed to be harry and hermione.. HARMONY!
I agree with Jo decison to make another book but not Harry Potter…i believe Jo’s new book will be a good one, although its not Harry Potter.
i wonder whether she’ll be writing another franchise or just stick to single books this time ?? :/
Dosn’t she realize how happy another Potter book would make us all?!? What happened to the encyclopedia couldn’t that be in the “not too distant future”? It would make my year, heck maybe life is jo were to write another HP book. I for one am still holding out hope for that.
Looking lovely as ever Jo!
I’m glad we’re not having more HP books, I’ve come to terms with the fact that it’s ended now- don’t want to have to do it again!
“This is Spinal Tap’s revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.”
I like it!
I’ll read whatever she writes!
awesome! thank goodness part 2 is on youtube my internet was being mean and kept going down…i hope someone puts part one up soon!
I can’t wait for more books from her. Who knows? She might change my life again. =)
I have a feeling that in a few years time JK will in fact revisit the Harry Potter series. Interesting that she left 19 years between the end of DH and the epilogue. Would make for great writing (you know fill in the blanks). Hmmm…..
this just made my day!!
I’m very happy Jo will bring us another book soon, and she hasn’t ruled out revisiting Harry Potter. Oh for the Prequel :-)