JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll.  After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.

Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter."  She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven."  She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.

JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow.  Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's  father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble.  This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.

Responses to additional questions include:

• Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
  • Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
  • Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
  • Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
  • Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
  • The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
  • Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms.  Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
  • Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter.   Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
Video of the second segment of the reading can be seen via YouTube here.

Update: Images of J. K. Rowling from the White House Easter Egg Roll can be seen here care of Zimbio.  Our full gallery of images is now available here.

More is coming! Stay close to TLC!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Image_thumb

It’s so great to hear from her. The SLIGHT possibility that she might revisit the series gives me a jump start!

Hmmm…I wonder what she’s cooking up at present. Is it magical? Is it wizard stuff?

Posted by Smitch on April 05, 2010, 03:54 PM report to moderator

I’m so excited! :) I can’t wait to see what she will write next and I’m glad it’s not about Harry Potter because I think the story is finished and an 8th book after so many years would not make any sense.
I will gladly read this other book that she is writing and I cannot wait to read more news about it!! :D

Posted by on April 05, 2010, 03:55 PM report to moderator
Hula_thumb

Snape is one of her favourite characters! yay! I wish she would write a Harry Potter encyclopedia soon.

Posted by DarthWeetzie on April 05, 2010, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Edith___thumb

SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

G_thumb

yes!!! i cant wait!!

Posted by llamatiger on April 05, 2010, 04:17 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

It gets me all excited! I love Jo and her writing so much, I wonder what else she has planned for us… what other worlds and characters can she create?!?!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on April 05, 2010, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

When I saw Jo in D.C. she read from Ch5 of SS also. At the time I thought it was an odd choice, as I wasn’t all that sure I liked Olivander and his methods. But now I see why she chooses it – not only is it weirdly magical for Harry who is completely unprepared for the wizarding world, but the ending hinges on wandlore, and the concept that the wand chooses the wizard. She knew that from the beginning, due to her detailed plotting, so she knew in reading that chapter she was preparing her listeners for the end of the series without their having a clue!

Can’t wait for her new book, even though it will be Harry-free.

Posted by Agrippa1 on April 05, 2010, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Rav_thumb

“not too distant future” this phrase made my day =)
I can’t wait to know what that book is about!

Posted by Vanessa on April 05, 2010, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Xz5jc2nr_thumb
22044 Points

Cool news!!! =D

I want to see that new book!!! I know it’ll be awesome!!!

Deathly-hallows-symbol-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-564456_1422_1545_thumb

Yay! More random HP facts!!

Posted by Nwrosey on April 05, 2010, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Spooky_cat_thumb

My first exposure to HP was JK Rowling reading the wand shop scene on National Public Radio in the US. This was in 1999. It was a treat to see her do it again!!

Posted by cbm on April 05, 2010, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

Another book!? You have got to be kidding me! I love J.K Rowling’s styles of wrintg, I’ve read many books but no one has written anything like Jo. It is just awesome that she is writing another book!

I can’t wait to read what she writes next. I am firmly convinced that she will write more in the HP world. I think it’ll be about old times (the Maurauder’s days) or future (like H,R, & H’s kids) but not directly involve Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Posted by iamnotworriedharry on April 05, 2010, 05:26 PM report to moderator

I really don’t mean to be a jerk, but I wish Leaky would give its news items just one decent copy-edit before posting. It literally seems like every single entry I read here has at least one sentence that’s all jumbled-up and nonsensical, e.g. “Shortly after her original plan included Hermione’s father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble” (also, what’s that stuff about Spinal Tap?). I’m not complaining about typos, I’m complaining about having to try to sort out what the entry is actually trying to say.

Posted by Propaniac on April 05, 2010, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Leaky_thumb

Whilst I’m thrilled for a new non-HP book from her, a tiny little bit of my heart was hoping that quote would mention the Scottish book. So there.

Posted by NinnyTreetops on April 05, 2010, 05:35 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"What -- what are you doing?" said Professor McGonagall, her eyes following the bouncing ferret's progress through the air.[br]"Teaching," said Moody.[br]"Teach -- Moody, [i]is that a student?"[/i] shrieked Professor McGonagall, the books spilling out of