JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM

Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll.  After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.

Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter."  She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven."  She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.

JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow.  Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's  father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble.  This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.

Responses to additional questions include:

• Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
  • Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
  • Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
  • Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
  • Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
  • The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
  • Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms.  Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
  • Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter.   Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
Video of the second segment of the reading can be seen via YouTube here.

Update: Images of J. K. Rowling from the White House Easter Egg Roll can be seen here care of Zimbio.  Our full gallery of images is now available here.

More is coming! Stay close to TLC!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

C58fa320cc8111e280a722000a9e28dc_7_thumb

First!
Cant wait to see a new book from her but i still wish she would make another hp book.

Posted by jammjcpotter on April 05, 2010, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Wow I can’t wait to read whatever she writes next!

Posted by Jacket on April 05, 2010, 02:20 PM report to moderator
Aebeggman_thumb

More! Please post more! I can’t get the feed to run on my computer.

Posted by Mordicus_Egg on April 05, 2010, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Rl1_thumb

jumps in air from excitement

Posted by Moony. on April 05, 2010, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I love JKRs writing style, so I’m totally stoked to see what she comes up with next!

Posted by WillowEve ^HISS^ on April 05, 2010, 02:24 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Snape is one of her favorite characters? Interesting!!!!

I may or may not read her next book. My love for Harry Potter goes beyond Jo (God Bless Her). It goes to the characters she created, and the good vs. evil storyline. It’s what I enjoy.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on April 05, 2010, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I liked that comment about ‘never ruling out revisiting the HP series’! THAT would make my day, week, month, year, and whatever!!! lol

Posted by Won_Two on April 05, 2010, 02:25 PM report to moderator
Count_dooku_thumb

HERMIONE’S FATHER SAW HARRY IN THE RUBBLE!! ENOUGH! STOP! CEASE! DESIST! THERE IS SUCH A THING AS TOO AMAZING!

Posted by Grimthresgo on April 05, 2010, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Puppet_pals_yes_thumb

OMG!!! I want to read the original opening!!!!!! AHHH!!!! PLEASE JO!!!

Posted by phoenixes are in ravenclaw on April 05, 2010, 02:30 PM report to moderator

“Not to distant future!” I loved that comment! :D I hope by that she means maybe within this year or next year!

Posted by FGFG on April 05, 2010, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Dscn0756-1_thumb

Hearing from Jo is always such a treat. <3. Eagerly awaiting her next six-month tweet. Haha.

Posted by Shane [WBM] on April 05, 2010, 02:31 PM report to moderator
15657683_thumb

I’m excited as anyone else to hear that “not too distant future” part, but reading the answers to those questions is making my blood boil; I know her audience at the White House consisted mainly of children, yet I can’t help but think “SHE HAD ALREADY ANSWERED TO THOSE QUESTIONS AAAAARGH! WAY TO WASTE A CHANCE TO ASK JO SOMETHING WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!”.

I hate myself. :/

Posted by Cellar Door [*SQUEE!*] on April 05, 2010, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

WOO HOO! This was actually some good information! I want to read the original opening!

Posted by CarinaPotter (ROAR!) on April 05, 2010, 02:40 PM report to moderator

I know its not HP that she is writing about, but I do hope it is in the wizarding world. The encyclopedia perhaps?

Posted by Dawna on April 05, 2010, 02:48 PM report to moderator
Panda_thumb

Wow, a new J.K Rowling book! “not too distant future”! W00T! :D

I’m actually glad it isn’t related to Harry Potter. An extra book about what happened 19 years later would just be kind of pointless and add nothing to the wonderful story she came up with. Glad she know’s what she’s doing!

I hope she’s been “chosen” by another great story and characters!

Posted by FilmGirl27 *Team Weasley!* (ROAR!!) on April 05, 2010, 02:52 PM report to moderator

Harry took a pinch of Floo powder and walked to the edge of the fire. He took a deep breath, scattered the powder into the flames, and stepped forward; the fire felt like a warm breeze; he opened his mouth and immediately swallowed a lot of hot ash.[br]"D