JKR: "Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter" (Updated)
April 05, 2010, 02:00 PM
Harry Potter author J. K. Rowling just wrapped her two readings at the Annual White House Easter Egg Roll. After reading from the fifth Chapter of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book, the section where Harry finds his wand at Ollivander's, the author answered a few questions from the audience.
Firstly, in response to a question regarding whether she plans to continue writing, J. K. Rowling responded, "I do and I am... Sometime in the not too distant future I will bring you another book and it will not be Harry Potter." She went on to relate that she is "enjoying taking a break from publishing," and, regarding in earlier question, reiterated prior comments saying she has never ruled out revisiting the Harry Potter series, but she "always planned seven." She also noted that while she is indeed writing again, she is not ready to talk about it just yet.
JKR also commented on the original opening to the first book, which was set to take place with an explosion at Harry's house in Godric's Hollow. Shortly after her original plan included Hermione's father, a next door neighbor of the Potters, running outside to see the baby Harry being taken from the rubble. This would lead to Hermione remembering this event upon meeting Harry many years later.
Responses to additional questions include:
- Her favorite characters from the series, apart from Harry, Ron, Hermione, are Hagrid, Dumbledore, Lupin, and Snape.
- Would not want either Dobby or Winky as House Elves, because the creates are "creepy," and would rather give them clothes and set them free.
- Says she has tweeted twice in her life, and plans to make tweets about "every six months saying 'I'm still writing.'"
- Her favorite Harry Potter book is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Spoke about coming up with the idea for Harry Potter, noting that she was looking at cows out a train window and thought, "Boy who doesn't know he's a wizard goes to a wizarding school."
- The next character which she thought of, after Harry, was Hermione.
- Her favorite subject to write about in the Harry Potter books was charms. Referenced This is Spinal Tap's revolving drummer as one reason behind having a new DADA teach each year.
- Made comments on the false rumors behind her inspiration for the name Harry Potter. Was not based on a childhood friend, and used this question as a "life lesson" to the young audience members, saying "You can never believe everything you read in the papers."
Cant wait to see a new book from her but i still wish she would make another hp book.
Wow I can’t wait to read whatever she writes next!
More! Please post more! I can’t get the feed to run on my computer.
jumps in air from excitement
I love JKRs writing style, so I’m totally stoked to see what she comes up with next!
Snape is one of her favorite characters? Interesting!!!!
I may or may not read her next book. My love for Harry Potter goes beyond Jo (God Bless Her). It goes to the characters she created, and the good vs. evil storyline. It’s what I enjoy.
I liked that comment about ‘never ruling out revisiting the HP series’! THAT would make my day, week, month, year, and whatever!!! lol
HERMIONE’S FATHER SAW HARRY IN THE RUBBLE!! ENOUGH! STOP! CEASE! DESIST! THERE IS SUCH A THING AS TOO AMAZING!
OMG!!! I want to read the original opening!!!!!! AHHH!!!! PLEASE JO!!!
“Not to distant future!” I loved that comment! :D I hope by that she means maybe within this year or next year!
Hearing from Jo is always such a treat. <3. Eagerly awaiting her next six-month tweet. Haha.
I’m excited as anyone else to hear that “not too distant future” part, but reading the answers to those questions is making my blood boil; I know her audience at the White House consisted mainly of children, yet I can’t help but think “SHE HAD ALREADY ANSWERED TO THOSE QUESTIONS AAAAARGH! WAY TO WASTE A CHANCE TO ASK JO SOMETHING WE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!”.
I hate myself. :/
WOO HOO! This was actually some good information! I want to read the original opening!
I know its not HP that she is writing about, but I do hope it is in the wizarding world. The encyclopedia perhaps?
Wow, a new J.K Rowling book! “not too distant future”! W00T! :D
I’m actually glad it isn’t related to Harry Potter. An extra book about what happened 19 years later would just be kind of pointless and add nothing to the wonderful story she came up with. Glad she know’s what she’s doing!
I hope she’s been “chosen” by another great story and characters!