Excerpt from Size Matters Not, Warwick Davis Autobiography

Davis
Posted by: Edward
April 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

As readers will recall, actor Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick & Griphook) has published his autobiography, Size Matters Not, which is on sale in the UK now.  Today, TLC has the first of a few special treats from the actor, who has furnished us with a selection from his autobiography.  Chronicling Mr. Davis' life and thirty year career, Size Matters Not, covers his many experiences working in film, including his time on the Harry Potter films.  The following excerpt details an experience working with fellow Harry Potter actors Alan Rickman (Snape), Maggie Smith (McGonagall) and Michael Gambon (Dumbledore):
From Chapter Eighteen: Pottering About
       There was one memorable occasion when I got to have a long chat with the older and more established actors. It was during a long night shoot when we had to wait a long time between shots while the special-effects people arranged all their gizmos for a particularly explosive sequence.
      We were outside, and I was flattered to see that my chair had been put in a group with Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith (Minerva McGonagall) and Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore).
      The four of us sat, in full costume, huddled around a tiny heater chatting through the night. Michael was a masterful storyteller and told some incredible tales with fantastic punch lines – most of which I can’t remember – and I’ve been sworn to secrecy for those that I do.
      It was sometimes hard for me to follow the conversation because they’d use first names. For example, Michael might ask, ‘Have you worked with Robert?’ and then you’d realise five minutes later that he was talking about de Niro.
      But there was one subject about which we both were experts.
      ‘What do you think of these beards, Warwick?’ Michael asked.
      ‘Well, they’re a bit of a pain, to be perfectly honest.’
      ‘Yes, they most certainly are, these wisps get absolutely everywhere. If I use my arms and wand it always gets entangled and I yank the thing right off my face. And don’t get me started on food. Dinner is a total nightmare.’
      I nodded in wholehearted agreement.
      A couple of days later, we were having lunch in full costume when Michael sat down at the table with a large canvas bag. He tied it around his neck and placed his beard inside and then was able to eat his tagliatelle without having to worry about consuming half of his beard at the same time.
      How did the lucky sod get one of those? I wondered, as I battled with forks, pasta and hair.
      Michael also loved a joke. After lunch one day, Michael’s make-up artist was removing his beard-bag before a shot. As she pulled it away she was amazed to see that Michael had woven a string of prawns, vegetables and other foody assortments into the beard.
      ‘What is it? What’s wrong?’ the famous actor said innocently.
      ‘Um . . . um,’ the flustered make-up artist replied, ‘your beard, er . . .’
      ‘Oh these! Well, that’s just in case I get a bit peckish, dear girl.’
©Warwick Davis – Aurum Press
Additionally, friends of Warwick and fans of Harry Potter can get Size Matters Not for the very special price of £10 (RRP £16.99) at waterstones.com.  Just enter promo code WD9371 at checkout.

Finally, Mr. Davis is also offering his twitter followers the chance to win a money-can't-buy Harry Potter prize; a framed set of seven extremely rare signed Harry Potter movie signature cards, each featuring a character he played in the Harry Potter movies. To enter, follow Warwick on Twitter, and retweet his tweet about the Waterstones.com offer.  This offering is only available to residents of the UK.

Stay close to TLC for even more coverage of Size Matters Not in the coming days.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Davis News

Mr. Davis is an amazing actor. Hope his book comes to USA soon!

Posted by hewy on April 23, 2010, 06:05 PM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

I agree with Natalia {ROAR} and the others who made the same point. I’m not overly fond of Gambon as Dumbledore but from that quote he seems the perfect person to play him. Anyway, the book sounds like a good read. He seems so sweet the way he was talking about the other actors.

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on April 23, 2010, 06:09 PM report to moderator
Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That sounds great! The book the contest! What more could a Harry Potter fan want in life?

_r9kau7w_thumb

i second @natalia!!! he is more like dumbledore when not memorizing a script! how come i never knew about this hilarious michael??? why doesnt/didnt he let that through in dumbledore!?!?! jeez. anyway…

warwick, warwick, how i do love the way you play flitwick. and how incredibly sorry i am that someone decided to give you, as flitwick, a time-turner and somehow you ended up stuck as yourself 40 years past. (sigh) that haircut is rather…ughh. personally, i enjoyed the tiny santa claus look quite a lot. :(

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on April 23, 2010, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Choco_dementor_thumb

I agree that Gambon seems more like Dumbledore when he’s not being filmed.

Posted by The Half-Blood Lauma' on April 23, 2010, 07:10 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

It sounds like this will prove an entertaining read from him!

Posted by Kirk on April 23, 2010, 08:42 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Michael Gambon is awesome! And so is Warwick!

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on April 23, 2010, 08:53 PM report to moderator
Hp_buddyicons_caught_bellamlfy_96x96_129322477441953550_thumb

i love that michael gambon has a great sense of humor! it cracks me up to know that he can play the more serious roles and still have some light-hearted moments

Posted by HalfBloodPrincesss (Jenna Evans) on April 23, 2010, 09:02 PM report to moderator
Bellatrix_by_alicexz-d3b6ze0_thumb

awesome. just totally awesome

Posted by MaggieNoise on April 24, 2010, 07:39 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

So when will the book be released in the US?

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on April 24, 2010, 10:12 AM report to moderator
User170224_pic7538_1238947280_thumb

Awwww that’s so great. =D

Posted by Peace.Love.Potter ♥ on April 24, 2010, 11:22 AM report to moderator
African_servil_thumb

Wow, I laughed soooo hard at that. He should incorporate some of his real humor into his performance, it would make him so much more believable as Dumbledore. They shouold have had him improv some jokes like that to use in the movies, since he is a natural at it anyway. :)

Posted by Mrs. Longbottom on April 24, 2010, 02:09 PM report to moderator

From what I heard of Michael Gambon on PoA disk 2, I’m not surprised. Most of the outtakes seem to be Rickman cracking up over some prank of Gambon’s. They’re old theatre buddies, So Michael knows how to push Alan’s buttons. As to Gambon improving, it seems nothing he would improv would be PG.
The Chapters I’m looking forward to are on Willow. Mr. Davis was only 17 when he did that one, and Ron Howard was very concerned about having a minor, especially a dwarf, go through a workout similar to Harrison Ford.

Posted by BillieMac on April 24, 2010, 02:42 PM report to moderator

Wonder when/if this will be available in the US.?

Posted by Animalover95 on April 24, 2010, 09:57 PM report to moderator
Golden_snitch_thumb

Davis has been a truly great and inspiring actor throughout his career! So glad he got to be a part of the Potter series, and really steps it up for DH!

Posted by SigmaKnight on April 24, 2010, 11:55 PM report to moderator

"You're an Auror?" said Harry, impressed...[br]"Yeah," said Tonks, looking proud. "Kingsley is as well; he's a bit higher up than I am, though. I only qualified a year ago. Nearly failed on Stealth and Tracking, I'm dead clumsy, did you hear me break that