Harry Potter Railway Shortlisted for World's Greatest Journey

Misc
Posted by: Rosi
April 20, 2010, 06:44 PM

The Telegraph reports that the 164-mile Scottish railway line from Glasgow to Mallaig has been placed on Lonely Planet's shortlist for the world's greatest journey. The railway line features heavily in the Harry Potter films, notably when the Hogwarts Express passes through the 21-arch Glenfinnan viaduct.

The chief executive of VisitScotland, Philip Riddle, is quoted in the article, saying, "[the] railway's spectacular scenery makes it extremely popular with visitors from around the world and the fact that it features so prominently in the Harry Potter films ensures a truly spellbinding experience for passengers."

The winners of Lonely Planet's inaugural awards will be decided in an online poll and announced this August.

You can read the full article here on The Telegraph's website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Misc News

13635_196007790588_520620588_4407705_7739899_n_thumb

Sounds like a great trip to take, maybe someday………..

Posted by Rosie016 on April 21, 2010, 10:05 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

That be so cool to take that trip.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on April 21, 2010, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Hogwarts-night-castle-image_thumb

What a great train journey that would be!!

Across the beautiful Scottish counrtyside, truly wonderfull!

Posted by Billy Bluenose on April 21, 2010, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Lily_evans_and_severus_snape_by_aura3107_thumb

One day, I will go on that route to Hogwarts!! ONE DAY!!

Posted by JessSnape on April 21, 2010, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

Oh imagine if you were sitting on the train going to Hogwarts for the first time. It would be so exciting. From what the films show the scenery really is spellbinding. I hope it wins!

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on April 21, 2010, 11:04 AM report to moderator
Avatars_febtagline_03_thumb

Cool though I didn’t know there was such a category…right now it seems there is a category for anything!:P

Posted by fifi ~::~ ıɟıɟ {WBM!} {ITC!} on April 21, 2010, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Harry_hermione-pg-horizontal_thumb

thats great!!

Posted by nsa (ROAR) on April 21, 2010, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

i have always wanted to go on that HOgwarts express.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on April 21, 2010, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Panda_thumb

That would be so fun. :) Oh, if only if only.

I wonder if the inside of the train actually looks like it does in the films? Ever since PoA, I’ve always wanted to get into one of those little rooms and chat, pretending I’m going to Hogwarts. :D Haha!

Posted by FilmGirl27 *Team Weasley!* (ROAR!!) on April 21, 2010, 12:17 PM report to moderator
Marguerite_thumb

I’ve been there! And while I was walking right under the viaduct, a red steam train arrived! I tried to take a picture of the train but my camera batteries were flat, and I couldn’t even switch it on. When I finally managed to replace the batteries, the train had already gone… I remember people waving at me from the train, they were leaning out of the windows, it was a beautiful sunny day! I took wonderful pictures of the viaduct – no train, though, which is a shame!

Posted by Despina on April 21, 2010, 12:25 PM report to moderator

I hope I will be able to go on the train within the next year!

Posted by hrhgnl on April 21, 2010, 12:25 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I’d LOVE to make the trip and ride on that train. It would be so amazing!!!

Posted by LunaLuver on April 21, 2010, 12:41 PM report to moderator
Dh_poster_high_res_thumb

I love that the guy in charge is named Riddle! :)

Posted by elsabetharia on April 21, 2010, 12:52 PM report to moderator
Hula_thumb

I’ll definitely take this trip one day. I one time took the train from the train station they used in the first film. That was pretty cool!

Posted by DarthWeetzie on April 21, 2010, 03:56 PM report to moderator
36051_169251979755516_114302268583821_590721_1732889_n_small_thumb

cool one place i want to go when i go over there some day

Posted by Sarah10248 *ROAR* on April 21, 2010, 04:43 PM report to moderator

"Harry, we saw Uranus up close!" said Ron, still giggling feebly. "Get it, Harry? We saw Uranus -- ha ha ha --"[br]A bubble of blood grew at the corner of Ron's mouth and burst.