Harry Potter Railway Shortlisted for World's Greatest Journey

Misc
Posted by: Rosi
April 20, 2010, 06:44 PM

The Telegraph reports that the 164-mile Scottish railway line from Glasgow to Mallaig has been placed on Lonely Planet's shortlist for the world's greatest journey. The railway line features heavily in the Harry Potter films, notably when the Hogwarts Express passes through the 21-arch Glenfinnan viaduct.

The chief executive of VisitScotland, Philip Riddle, is quoted in the article, saying, "[the] railway's spectacular scenery makes it extremely popular with visitors from around the world and the fact that it features so prominently in the Harry Potter films ensures a truly spellbinding experience for passengers."

The winners of Lonely Planet's inaugural awards will be decided in an online poll and announced this August.

You can read the full article here on The Telegraph's website.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Misc News

Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

First COMMENT!

Emma_watson_polyvore_thumb

That’s great! It is truly wonderful that Harry Potter is still around even after ten years….

My life’s goal is to go on that journey on that train…I think.

Posted by gingerr_kat on April 20, 2010, 07:42 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

…“spellbinding” …good word choice, sir. :)
wow. i so want to go on this line now. not to mention i would be in england if i was on that train. gahhh.

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on April 20, 2010, 08:08 PM report to moderator
_r9kau7w_thumb

oops… SCOTLAND. not england…though still equally exciting :) and if i was as close to england as scotland…might as well mosey on over…. :D

Posted by Nealie Zealbie on April 20, 2010, 08:10 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

That’s awesome. Whenever I get over to Scotland I am definitely going to travel on that train.

Posted by da_member0808 on April 20, 2010, 08:30 PM report to moderator
Image

sweet!!!!!

Posted by magicmaniac on April 20, 2010, 08:51 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

It is beautiful scenery!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on April 20, 2010, 08:55 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

Such a beautiful and fantastic setting truly does deserve the recognition it has received.

Posted by Kirk on April 20, 2010, 09:31 PM report to moderator
Haruhi_books_normal_thumb

It is a goal of mine to ride this train line and dress up as a Hogwarts student. I’m sure I won’t be the first and I hope I won’t be the last either

Posted by pellegrinopixie on April 20, 2010, 09:49 PM report to moderator
Platform_9_34_thumb

Just one more reason for me to take the jump across the pond. I do love trains.

Posted by beallgood01 *WBM* on April 20, 2010, 10:04 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

wow! That’s great! Whenever I get the chance to go to Scotland I’ll make sure to chech out the 164-mile Scottish railway from Glasgow to Mallaid!!! Plus, I’ve always wanted to see Glasgow: because I’m a physician (Glasgow Coma Scale) and too many Abba songs growing up (Super Trouper)!!!

Posted by Madam Snape on April 20, 2010, 10:25 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

I beg a pardon: Mallaig. And I’m closer to making that trip, just got my passaport! But I did that so I could go to Harry’s theme park on the U.S. Anyway, but one step closer!!!

Posted by Madam Snape on April 20, 2010, 10:28 PM report to moderator
Hpdh_thumb

one day

Posted by ZachBlack [ROAR] on April 20, 2010, 10:37 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

That’s so cool! Whenever I make my trip to finally go overseas then I must put this on my to-do list so I can ride the train!

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on April 20, 2010, 11:40 PM report to moderator

"Malfoy's been giving generously to all sorts of things for years... Gets him in with the right people... then he can ask favors... delay laws he doesn't want passed... Oh, he's very well connected, Lucius Malfoy..."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014