J.K.Rowling Writes "Single Mother's Manifesto," Criticizes British Conservative Party in The Times

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Rosi
April 14, 2010, 12:11 PM

With the British General Election approaching on the 6th of May in the United Kingdom, J.K. Rowling has written an article in today's Times relating her options on the British Conservative Party's stance on single-parent families.  In a critical look at some of the positions held by party leaders, the Harry Potter author asks whether the "nasty party" has really changed, as Conservative Party leader David Cameron says it has. In the article, Rowling particularly addresses the Conservative Party's plans to give married couples and civil partners a £150 annual tax break and Cameron's insistence that "it's not the money, it's the message." Rowling writes:

Nobody who has ever experienced the reality of poverty could say “it’s not the money, it’s the message”. When your flat has been broken into, and you cannot afford a locksmith, it is the money. When you are two pence short of a tin of baked beans, and your child is hungry, it is the money. When you find yourself contemplating shoplifting to get nappies, it is the money. If Mr Cameron’s only practical advice to women living in poverty, the sole carers of their children, is “get married, and we’ll give you £150”, he reveals himself to be completely ignorant of their true situation.
Rowling writes of how, following the 1993 break up of her first marriage, she "became a hate figure to a certain section of the press, and a bogeyman to the Tory Government" for the supposed "easy life" she subsequently received along with state benefits and state-funded accommodation.

Whilst conceding that "[there] remains much more to be done" by the governing Labour party, Rowling stands firmly against the assumption that having "long since left single parenthood for marriage and a nuclear family" she is a natural voter for the Tory (Conservative) party:
The 2010 election campaign, more than any other, has underscored the continuing gulf between Tory values and my own. It is not only that the renewed marginalisation of the single, the divorced and the widowed brings back very bad memories. There has also been the revelation, after ten years of prevarication on the subject, that Lord Ashcroft, deputy chairman of the Conservatives, is non-domiciled for tax purposes.
Rowling goes on to discuss her reasons for remaining a domiciled taxpayer, centred on a sense of indebtedness to the British welfare state and a feeling that "it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque." The author finishes by directly countering the widespread Conservative advertising campaign: "I’ve never voted Tory before ... and they keep on reminding me why." You can read the article in full on the Times website at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Go Jo! I’m from America so I don’t know much about about British politics, but I have known people that have come from single-parent familes and how hard it is. Goverment just suxs in my opinion.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on April 16, 2010, 05:46 PM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

It’s really nice to see that fame and money doesn’t seem to have changed her. She knows what it was like to be poor and is sticking up for people who are still in that situation. God help us if the Tories get in. Good for you JKR!!!

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on April 17, 2010, 06:40 AM report to moderator
Threefriends_thumb

Go Jo!! :) I love to see that she is so passionate about these issues. Not only are there good messages in her books…she is fighting for equality and what is right in the “real world,” too.

Posted by ProfessorCharms [ROAR] on April 17, 2010, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Me2_thumb

I feel this issue is most important and understand all too well. I am still a single parent myself and what Jo mentioned in her article touched my heart.

Posted by Catherine_R_Williams on April 18, 2010, 01:29 PM report to moderator

Well done JK! You tell those MPs. I’m from England and I know what frauds those freaking tories are!

Posted by HelenaHogwarts on April 19, 2010, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Avatar1_thumb

She’s a brilliant writter and a person who’s been through a lot on her life. She’s very much aware of the stuff she’s writting about and I admire her very much for that. It’s great that she’s choosing to be a part in this fight and that she’s not afraid of putting a word out there, even if it’s propably going to bring her a lot of “bad press” and headaches… ’cause as sure as hell it is going to.
Way to go, J.K.!

Posted by Madam Snape on April 19, 2010, 11:36 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_l15yftnpua1qad5emo1_500_thumb

Jo, you rock.

Posted by Little Light ^HISS^ on April 23, 2010, 01:00 AM report to moderator
N576625453_6111621_3673150_thumb

Horay for the socialists!

Posted by readthroughthenight on April 25, 2010, 05:48 AM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

go jo, though i live in america, and BringItVoldyROAR is right politics are different my aunt is a newly single mother of two little kids i hate to see anything like that happen

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on May 06, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on May 06, 2010, 07:29 PM report to moderator
My_quote1_thumb

Posted by thundermountain7*Roar* on May 06, 2010, 07:30 PM report to moderator

"We can add that to the list of questions we'll ask [Draco] when we've taken the Polyjuice Potion," said Harry, sinking back onto his pillows. "I hope it tastes better than this stuff...."[br]"If it's got bits of Slytherins in it? You've got to be joking,

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014